Speaker Change in a 2020 Custom

I have 2020 Silverado Custom Double Cab with the stock speakers.  Frankly they're junk so I ordered replacements from Crutchfield and am delighted with the result.  Attached is a photo of the truck.  I used Kenwood Excelon KFC-XC2C speakers in the dash and Sound Ordinance P67B speakers in the doors.  I also purchased all the installation parts that Crutchfield recommended.  My installer finished the job in less than two hours. The difference is amazing and for my purposes, I don't need an extra Amp because the speakers give me plenty of volume and a reasonable amount of base.  Also, the high notes are now outstanding.  

New Truck.jpg

Edited by Mac-427
  • Like 1

Just curious, why the mixed speakers?  I have my eye on the Kenwood Excelons myself, was thinking 7” component set in front, then the 7” 2 way speakers in the rear.

Great question?  Based on my limited knowledge, I just went with Crutchfields recommendation as to what would fit.  Below is the whole order:

Kenwood KFC-6966S Kenwood KFC-6966S 1 $69.99
Kenwood Excelon KFC-X2C Kenwood Excelon KFC-X2C 1 $79.99
Posi-Products™ Car Speaker Connectors Posi-Products™ Car Speaker Connectors 1 $7.99
Sound Ordnance™ P-67B Sound Ordnance™ P-67B 1 $59.99
Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 201 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 201 1 $0.00
American International SH3802 Speaker Wiring Harness American International SH3802 Speaker Wiring Harness 1 $0.00
Metra 82-3004 Speaker Mounting Brackets Metra 82-3004 Speaker Mounting Brackets 1 $0.00
Install Bay SPHKC Speaker Installation Kit Install Bay SPHKC Speaker Installation Kit 1 $5.00
American International SH3802 Speaker Wiring Harness American International SH3802 Speaker Wiring Harness 1 $0.00
Scosche SAGMHR-634 Speaker Mounting Brackets Scosche SAGMHR-634 Speaker Mounting Brackets 1 $0.00
    Subtotal: $222.96
    Sales tax (TX): $18.40
    Shipping: Free
    Order total $241.36
Edited by Mac-427

i went to crutchfield too, JL audios....I put speakers in all 4 doors but have yet to do dash, its a lil bit of improvement but really it needs quite a bit more....am sure tweeters make a difference and certain channels and stations are much more noticeable than others but i think it still needs an amp ( which stock speakers probably couldnt handle).......ill finish tweeters first and see.......its a lil better but not a whole lot.....was lil disappointed actually

i dont have the chevy custom but i do have a dbl cab

Edited by Dunn

Mac-427,

Thanks for this post. I know the stock speakers are just a little more than fillers for the holes in the doors and dash.

No need for a thumper but at this price an upgrade may be in the near future.

Thanks again for sharing !

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 6:15 PM, Mac-427 said:

I have 2020 Silverado Custom Double Cab with the stock speakers.  Frankly they're junk so I ordered replacements from Crutchfield and am delighted with the result.  Attached is a photo of the truck.  I used Kenwood Excelon KFC-XC2C speakers in the dash and Sound Ordinance P67B speakers in the doors.  I also purchased all the installation parts that Crutchfield recommended.  My installer finished the job in less than two hours. The difference is amazing and for my purposes, I don't need an extra Amp because the speakers give me plenty of volume and a reasonable amount of base.  Also, the high notes are now outstanding.  

Just picked up a new 2021 AT4 yesterday and wanted to say thanks for posting your sound set up.  I was going to go crazy and do components, amps, etc. but decided I didn't want to do all that work and landed on just the speakers for now, pretty much following your lead.  Went for the same dash and front speakers and then grabbed 6.5" rear Kenwood Excelon's that look the same as the 6x9's you got.  For those interested on the rears:

Item #1131666S

Have installed many a sound system in my younger days so planning to install myself.  Lots of YouTube videos that show how to remove the door panels, dash speaker, etc.  Watched a few to prepare.

Anyway, big thanks and will report back with my thoughts!

I changed all of my speakers out as I could still listen to the factory stereo through them until I added my amp and I have to say I noticed a difference in the audio but nothing that impressed me. I used good quality stuff as well.  The rear door speakers are just pathetic no matter what speaker you put there. The factory system just isn't giving them any power or signal. Fade it all the way to the back and listen, its a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished installing everything and am quite happy with the end result for the price.  I installed the doors first and listened to that for a few days then did the dash speakers, glad I got those as they seemed to make a big difference.  One note, it seems like I need to turn the volume up higher to achieve the same volume levels as before but no big deal, listening volume for me seems to be about half way across, occasionally turn it up higher when my kids ask.  Overall excellent results for fairly cheap speakers and no amp upgrade, I'd recommend this setup and probably won't change anything.

3 hours ago, Gray_AT4 said:

I finished installing everything and am quite happy with the end result for the price.  I installed the doors first and listened to that for a few days then did the dash speakers, glad I got those as they seemed to make a big difference.  One note, it seems like I need to turn the volume up higher to achieve the same volume levels as before but no big deal, listening volume for me seems to be about half way across, occasionally turn it up higher when my kids ask.  Overall excellent results for fairly cheap speakers and no amp upgrade, I'd recommend this setup and probably won't change anything.

I noticed the same thing, may have something to do with the change in Ohms of the doors and dash speakers from the factory since they are fed off the same line?

• 8 months later...