Transmission Fluid

I'm about to change the transmission fluid in 2016 1500 Z71 5.3. What is the best Transmission fluid to use. I know the 6L80 has issues, currently looking into resolving it, but until then I'm going to just change the fluid.

• Like 1

Avoid GM/AC Delco at all cost.  If not AMSOIL, then go Mobil 1 as 2nd best.  Nothing but problems with GM branded Dexron in new 6 and 8 speeds.  Contrary to popular belief Dexon is not synthetic and the transmissions perform better with 100% Synthetic ATF. 

• Like 2

Changing the fluid is the most important. Yes, there are better fluids. I have used Castrol Transmax many times in different makes with no problems. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Changing the fluid is the most important. Yes, there are better fluids. I have used Castrol Transmax many times in different makes with no problems. 

Yes, keeping it fresh is a good thing and as often as that is done, the cost isn't that much.  So if you can change out every 40k life will be good.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, Vom Breezy said:

I'm about to change the transmission fluid in 2016 1500 Z71 5.3. What is the best Transmission fluid to use. I know the 6L80 has issues, currently looking into resolving it, but until then I'm going to just change the fluid.

Best?

For a 6L80/90E?

A Dexron VI that you change

Often.

IF the question you actually mean to ask was which Dexron VI ATF checks the highest number of technical boxes.....

Is that the real quesition?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vom Breezy said:

I was just asking which brand to use. I know to use a full synthetic.

If you want a quality full synthetic then you would have to go with Red Line or AMSOIL.   If you are interested in AMSOIL and can't get it locally, let me know and I can send a quote on cost delivered to your door.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vom Breezy said:

I was just asking which brand to use. I know to use a full synthetic.

Oh boy :crackup:!!

For the six speeds my personal preference is Red Line D6. 

For the 8 and 10 speeds the AMSOIL ATL or Mobil 1 Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP are the only two choices. 

If you prefer AMSOIL, their ATF for the 6 speed.  

Take note AMSOIL has both a ATF and an ATL. Don't confuse the two.

AMSOIL Questions?

Ask Nick.

(Black02Silverado)

He's the resident AMSOIL guru. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, elcamino said:

Avoid GM/AC Delco at all cost.  If not AMSOIL, then go Mobil 1 as 2nd best.  Nothing but problems with GM branded Dexron in new 6 and 8 speeds.  Contrary to popular belief Dexon is not synthetic and the transmissions perform better with 100% Synthetic ATF. 

Dexron VI is full synthetic.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, Vom Breezy said:

What issues?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Dexron VI is full synthetic.

What issues?

Brand:
Manufacturer's Part Number:
10-9394
Part Type:
Product Line:
UPC:
Oil Type:
Mineral
Volume:
1 quart
Quantity:
Sold individually.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, silveradosid said:

what about vavoline full synthetic dexron VI

Once again we get into the Mobil/Castrol Law Suit war on the definition of SYNTHETIC. 

Valvoline is a Group III.

AMSOIL and Red Line are Group IV and/or Group IV/V. (PAO or PAO/Ester)

There is nothing wrong with a Group III mineral oil based marketing synthetic.

Valvoline is my go as a third choice as would be any other Group III. 

Note the distance between a Group III and a PAO. IF you could be assured it was indeed a Group III+ then the difference is almost non existent.  

The higher you get on this list the more natural heat and oxidation resistance you have. Esters are not on this graphic but would sit above it. This does not mean a PAO is a mineral oil based material.

PAO is a synthesized hydrocarbon that does not occur in nature made from hydrocarbons that are.

Esters are made from fatty acids and alcohols.   

Where the PAO/Ester fluids will take a a short hard overheat without damaging the fluid itself the same can-NOT be said for other base oils. So if you choose Valvoline or Castrol or XYZ and overheat it....Change it. Yes even if you just put it in yesterday. 

That said. Remember that an overheat damages more than the fluid. Seals and clutch bonding materials are damaged as well with repeated trips to the hot zone until they fail no matter what fluid you use. Yes that can be even once IF the temperature is high enough, long enough. 

IMG_0002.thumb.jpg.cff4dc5c679c832aba69832508c0dd3c.jpg 

• Like 2