Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh boy !!     For the six speeds my personal preference is Red Line D6.  For the 8 and 10 speeds the AMSOIL ATL or Mobil 1 Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP are the only two choices. 

I changed mine at 10k then 30k and every 30k after that with Amsoil. Never had any problem with the transmission. 

Posted Images

On 8/23/2021 at 10:23 AM, Black02Silverado said:

Switched our 2016 Suburban's transmission over to AMSOIL ATL fluid at 10k miles from new. 

Have you had any issues since it was switched and does your transmission shift smoother? I have been considering going with Amsoil for my transmission and transfer case the next time around. I put the severe gear fluid in my axles when I changed the driveline fluids at 30,000 miles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelerdude15 said:

Have you had any issues since it was switched and does your transmission shift smoother? I have been considering going with Amsoil for my transmission and transfer case the next time around. I put the severe gear fluid in my axles when I changed the driveline fluids at 30,000 miles.

No issues at all and it shifts great.  I change all the fluids over real early when we bought it new.  I think it was around 10k miles on the Burb when I switched the diffs, transmission, and transfer case.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

No issues at all and it shifts great.  I change all the fluids over real early when we bought it new.  I think it was around 10k miles on the Burb when I switched the diffs, transmission, and transfer case.

I see that there are two options, the signature series and the oe fuel efficient. Which one is the better choice?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelerdude15 said:

I see that there are two options, the signature series and the oe fuel efficient. Which one is the better choice?

The Signature Series is the best option. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2021 at 7:54 AM, elcamino said:

Avoid GM/AC Delco at all cost.  If not AMSOIL, then go Mobil 1 as 2nd best.  Nothing but problems with GM branded Dexron in new 6 and 8 speeds.  Contrary to popular belief Dexon is not synthetic and the transmissions perform better with 100% Synthetic ATF. 

 

11 hours ago, swathdiver said:

 

Dexron VI is full synthetic.

 

 

What issues?

 

44 minutes ago, steelerdude15 said:

ACDelco has a regular mineral fluid and a synthetic one. They have different part numbers.

 

I think the point is being synthetic is not a Dexron VI requirement. Note the MSDS for Citgo Dexron VI below in example:

 

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/633140001.pdf

 

DEXRON is a trade name. VI identifies both the frictional nature of the fluid and it's viscosity range. 

 

ACDelco 10-9395 is the mineral oil

ACDelco 10-9244 is the synthetic

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

 

 

 

I think the point is being synthetic is not a Dexron VI requirement. Note the MSDS for Citgo Dexron VI below in example:

 

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/633140001.pdf

 

DEXRON is a trade name. VI identifies both the frictional nature of the fluid and it's viscosity range. 

 

ACDelco 10-9395 is the mineral oil

ACDelco 10-9244 is the synthetic

I'm missing something somewhere.  Our 2006 Pontiac was the first vehicle to take Dexron VI and the fluid then was full synthetic.

 

Every container of ACDelco Dexron VI that I've bought for the GMC has been full synthetic, it said so on the box and the MSDS for each part number.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I'm missing something somewhere.  Our 2006 Pontiac was the first vehicle to take Dexron VI and the fluid then was full synthetic.

 

Every container of ACDelco Dexron VI that I've bought for the GMC has been full synthetic, it said so on the box and the MSDS for each part number.

 

I don't know what to do with this James. I provided two examples of DEXRON VI fluids that are not synthetics. Both Citgo and AC-Delco.

 

I don't think it is a matter of missing something as much as it is a matter of changing landscapes. This is just like Mobil 1's move from PAO to Group III and never telling a soul. I don't believe it was ever a requirement but it was, at one time, a fact that there were few and all were synthetic. I expect that sooner or later, sooner than later, someone took note that the base oil was not part of the spec and as viscosity and friction can be met with a cheaper Group II...BINGO as they say....a margin is improved.    

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2021 at 1:03 AM, swathdiver said:

What issues?

Mostly torque converter from what Ive seen online. I had my trans flushed at the dealer at 45k and 90k and the torque converter let go and ruined the trans at 95k.

Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone try going clutchless converter, maybe lower stall to comp. for lack of lock up like on the old 70's smog cars before tcc? i remember th350s went as low as 900-1200 rpm stall

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using Valvoline MaxLife ATF since my first change around 60k and I'm at 165k. Transmission still shifts great. It's usually available at Walmart for around $18 a gallon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, gone_fishing said:

I have been using Valvoline MaxLife ATF since my first change around 60k and I'm at 165k. Transmission still shifts great. It's usually available at Walmart for around $18 a gallon.

How often have you been changing it? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.