6.2 Muffler/ Flapper delete- not great

after watching a bunch of videos and reading on here, cut the flappers and muffler off. Outside the truck sounds amazing, problem is how loud the cab is, from everything I read and saw online, on the interior, the muffler delete was barely noticable. Not the case at all.

Has anyone gone from delete to new muffler? ( big block 50, borla, etc). Think the truck is going to be unbearably loud inside while pulling a trailer. Looking to either put an aftermarket muffler back, or go straight borla touring.

Hope someone else avoids the same mistake or at least reads this and realizes how loud it will be inside.

On 9/3/2021 at 2:41 PM, lpg said:

after watching a bunch of videos and reading on here, cut the flappers and muffler off. Outside the truck sounds amazing, problem is how loud the cab is, from everything I read and saw online, on the interior, the muffler delete was barely noticable. Not the case at all.

Has anyone gone from delete to new muffler? ( big block 50, borla, etc). Think the truck is going to be unbearably loud inside while pulling a trailer. Looking to either put an aftermarket muffler back, or go straight borla touring.

Hope someone else avoids the same mistake or at least reads this and realizes how loud it will be inside.

I have the GMPP aka Borla touring system, but if I hadn't got a smoking deal on it I was going to go with this muffler. Banks always makes top of the line products and I have no doubt this is muffler is no exception.  It has a chamber in the muffler to eliminate drone. For 300 bucks it's much cheaper that the Borla and worth trying in my opinion.

https://www.bankspower.com/i-955-exhaust-muffler-stainless-steel-3-5-inch-inlet-and-outlet-for-2005-2016-ford-truck-6-8l-6-2l-and-chevy-6-0l-6-2l.html

How does it sound while cruising around and very light gas?

probably going to take safe route and go borla touring. I’m at $100 now, with a new muffler figure another 300+. If I’m still not happy, going to be at near half a borla. 

Sadly I made the same mistake yesterday. Fortunately I made a deal ahead of time with the shop that did the straight pipe to help me out if it ended up being to loud. I have to admit it sounded great when they were pulling it out of the bay but that is where it ended. The noise inside the cab was terrible. Brought it back today and they did a 19" Magnaflow and I can live with that. Sounds great idling and under acceleration and you can hear it in the cab but much more tolerable

Agree. It’s honestly horrible, can’t believe so many people are happy with the sound.

posted this to hopefully help someone else out.

going touring soon. Just worried it’s too quiet. Thoughts?

s type seems too loud and touring may be too quiet 

On 9/3/2021 at 2:41 PM, lpg said:

Had a Borla Atak crate muffler installed. Sounded great initially. Horrible drone at highway speeds got louder after about 1k miles. Replaced with a Corsa Sport cat back. Love the sound.. Whisper quite at highway speeds, decent rumble on acceleration and cold start.  1300 on CSPracing and well worth it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lpg said:

How does it sound while cruising around and very light gas?

probably going to take safe route and go borla touring. I’m at $100 now, with a new muffler figure another 300+. If I’m still not happy, going to be at near half a borla. 

This is a video I just did on the exhaust.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:27 PM, Philbert said:

Had a Borla Atak crate muffler installed. Sounded great initially. Horrible drone at highway speeds got louder after about 1k miles. Replaced with a Corsa Sport cat back. Love the sound.. Whisper quite at highway speeds, decent rumble on acceleration and cold start.  1300 on CSPracing and well worth it. 

Best exhaust out there in my opinion. Love my Corsa. Unreal how quiet it is at highway speeds. Can’t tell there is exhaust on it till you punch it. Then a big smile rolls up onto my face!  Enjoy/Congrats. 

• Like 1

Update. Went to flowmaster 40 series with everything intact, cat and resonators still on. Flappers gone. Sounded awesome until I pulled trailer. Wasn’t much Drone but too much noise in cab while towing. 40 was actually pretty quiet and thought it was great until hooking up trailer.

Switched out for 50 big block series and it’s perfect. Pretty quiet until you get on pedal. loud on startup, quiets down, and hear just a little while driving until you give it gas. Perfect for me. Spend a lot of time in truck and the sound is just above stock but probably the quietest you can do. If you’re looking for noise it’s not for you, but no drone inside and you can finally hear motor(paired with the CAI).

Edited by lpg

1 hour ago, lpg said:

Update. Went to flowmaster 40 series with everything intact, cat and resonators still on. Flappers gone. Sounded awesome until I pulled trailer. Wasn’t much Drone but too much noise in cab while towing. 40 was actually pretty quiet and thought it was great until hooking up trailer.

Switched out for 50 big block series and it’s perfect. Pretty quiet until you get on pedal. loud on startup, quiets down, and hear just a little while driving until you give it gas. Perfect for me. Spend a lot of time in truck and the sound is just above stock but probably the quietest you can do. If you’re looking for noise it’s not for you, but no drone inside and you can finally hear motor(paired with the CAI).

What part number muffler did you get??

I love my muffler/flapper delete on my 6.2! Resonators are still in place. I get some weird noises from the DFM around 1700-1800, but once it drops below that on the highway it's fine. It has a great throaty growl all around. Guess it's true "If it's too loud, you're too old!"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did the muffler delete pipe from AFE, i enjoyed it but the wife said it was too loud. I left the flap in place when i installed it to help at low idle and cruise. We also bought the AFE muffler kit for her 21 escalade but after a few months she wanted to go back to stock so i now have her AFE muffler on my truck with the flap removed. Its still pretty loud but while cruising its pretty quiet. 

Side note the 21 escalades have a flap before and after muffler, which makes there exhaust alot quieter. I removed the one behind the muffler when i put the factory muffler back on to just see if it made a difference in sound and it unfortunately didnt.