Up Arrow on DIC screen

Only guessing here, as I never use the 'auto' mode. 

(I'm just glad it's not necessary to manually lock the hubs anymore)

Bottom bar shows which operating mode is selected...

Any chance the arrow is indicating that the 'auto' control is in 4wd mode?  

Have you checked to see if it's there in 2wd and/or 4wd rather than in 'auto'?

8 hours ago, TxTruckMan said:

Does it point down when you're in reverse?

Nope.

At least not on my gmc.

The others above are correct -- it points towards the truck front in the diagram.

Mine's a sierra, and the diagram is slightly different, but it also has the arrow.

Doesn't matter what 'mode' the transfer case is in (2wd/4wd/auto) and doesn't matter if it's in Park/reverse/drive  -- the arrow is always there, pointing 'up' on the dash, which is towards front of truck since it's the top pair of wheels that indicate steering angle

42 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Nope.

At least not on my gmc.

The others above are correct -- it points towards the truck front in the diagram.

Mine's a sierra, and the diagram is slightly different, but it also has the arrow.

Doesn't matter what 'mode' the transfer case is in (2wd/4wd/auto) and doesn't matter if it's in Park/reverse/drive  -- the arrow is always there, pointing 'up' on the dash, which is towards front of truck since it's the top pair of wheels that indicate steering angle

I believe you're correct.  Doesn't change whether 2, 4 or auto.,  forwards or reverse.. always there..

Seems kind of like a dumb idea if it's actually infact showing which is the front cuz you can see the back of the truck in the picture  and the top wheels angle when you steer.

Lol.  Ohh well,  I guess mystery solved... 

Same arrow in the K2's "off road" display. Always shows you going forward, even if you are in reverse🤔

Think the same person designed that icon along with the gas pump that never moves on the MPG screens😬

Edited by JimCost2014

6 hours ago, bdallas said:

Hi vs Low....

Put it in 4 wheel drive Low and the arrow will point down.

Winner! Winner!

That's one one mode I didn't try.  In my defence, this is my 4th 4wd truck since the last time I put one in 4LO, so I had to check this out.

Sure enough it does: 

199171052_20211012_203249resize(2).jpg.443972dfb02f5ce08d0055240866e08d.jpg

As much as we like to bash GM about things we don't know the reason for, we likely should have known the arrow had some purpose. 

Arrow indicates high range or low range.

Lettering to left of arrow will be 2WD, 4WD or Auto

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Nice!!  Mystery officially solved...  

In my defense, it only appeared within the last few weeks during a software update...

What I wish they did, is make a small modification to the little truck icons. When I'm towing, and adjust my bags, it's hard to tell whether the 1 or 2 degrees I'm out is to the front or back. The movement on the icon is so minuscule for that small amount of adjustment.