OBDII Scanner

I do apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask this question. I'm in the market for a good OBDII scanner that would meet the typical DYI'er's needs. I've been reading about them online and, honestly, it can get a little overwhelming. I'd like to keep the cost under $200, any recommendations?

I went cheap and got a Bluetooth one. It will read and give you the codes and also allow you to clear them. It is linked to my android phone using the app Torque Pro by Ian Hawkins. The Torque Pro I believe is a paid app but there is a free Torque Lite available as well. I bought it several years ago and it has served its purpose. The Torque Pro also allows you to monitor different functions as well.

Bafx Products - For Android Only - Wireless Bluetooth Obd2 Scanner Diagnostic Code Reader & Scan Tool - Scan, Reset & Clear Car Check Engine Light https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_A2SX332AHWEHSJHQ0SDB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by mikeyk101

Depend on your needs. To best recommend a device, what are you looking to perform? 

1. Something basic such as read and clear common code.

2. Able to perform more functions such as abs, brake bleed. Note alot of the basic reader does not have this function.

3. Access GM modules/program modules

All depends on what you want to achieve.  I have a $20 dollar code reader and it perform just as well as my $90 Bluedriver. Around $120, I can do things I wish I knew before purchasing the Bluedriver, it turns Bluedriver into a dust collector. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrawlSlow said:

To do that, one will need a scanner that is more than $200.
I have an Autel MaxiSys - I like to work on cars.
I, also, have an Autosync with BTDiesel which unlocks the BCM and HMI for programming.
Also, a SuperChips F5 for unlocking the ECM.
If one just wants to read codes, and get resulting information, there are many.
If one wants to reprogram modules and dig in deeper, it's gonna cost a lot.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CrawlSlow said:

Depend on your needs. To best recommend a device, what are you looking to perform? 

1. Something basic such as read and clear common code.

2. Able to perform more functions such as abs, brake bleed. Note alot of the basic reader does not have this function.

All depends on what you want to achieve.  I have a $20 dollar code reader and it perform just as well as my $90 Bluedriver. Around $120, I can do things I wish I knew before purchasing the Bluedriver, it turns Bluedriver into a dust collector. 

This is something that I have been thinking about. I'm the type of person that would like to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I'd like to be able to read codes on multiple different vehicles. I'd also like to be able to access the GM modules that are in my truck.

- I've been looking at the Foxwell NT614

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

That looks good for most DIY at home.

I have the vcx nano for GM. It already paid for itself after one use. I bought my truck used with only 1 set of key yet the truck shows 2 set of keys being active. I used it to deactivated all key/fob, cut my own keys and reprogram 3 set of key/fob. Just imagine how much the stealership would charge just to cut and program. I have also use it to program other modules thru ACDelco SPS services, an additional $40 access for 2 years. 

• Like 2

It all depends on what you want.
i. If you want a cheap scanner
ii. Bluetooth scanner
iii. live data and more features that you want.
Then you want to check out these models, Blue Driver Bluetooth Professional OBDII, Scan Tool 426101 OBD Link MX Bluetooth, BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader. https://theeffectiveguide.com/best-obd2-scanner/best-obdii-bluetooth-scanner-reviews/bluedriver-obd2-reviews/
I hope you find that scanner that you want

Edited by Kevin N.