Big Height Difference Front and Rear AT4

Hi guys. New member here. I'm fresh from the introduction area. 😀  But I did have a question I couldn't find the answer to. My 2021 AT4 is a full 3 inches higher in the rear than it is in the front. That seems excessive. I only know this because I was measuring to see what kind of leveling kit to purchase. Anyone with a similar experience?

Edited by Nick__

It's important to know what you're measurement reference is.

Are you measuring from..

Top of tire to center of wheel well?

Ground to bumper?

Ground to frame?

Most pickups are higher at rear by design so that when loaded it will distribute the weight properly.

Here is a '21 GM AT4 file photo. The rear rake is noticeable, probably about what you're seeing.

spacer.png

Last year I took some photos of mine on level ground when loaded with over 20 bags of bark mulch. I was impressed with it's stance with it loaded, likely around 1,000 lbs or more. It handled fine at speed too.

AT4_053.jpg

AT4_051.jpg

AT4_052.jpg

Edited by richmz
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nick__ said:

Hi guys. New member here. I'm fresh from the introduction area. 😀  But I did have a question I couldn't find the answer to. My 2021 AT4 is a full 3 inches higher in the rear than it is in the front. That seems excessive. I only know this because I was measuring to see what kind of leveling kit to purchase. Anyone with a similar experience?

Are you measuring from the ground?

Most of the times rake is measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel well.  Using this point, 1500's run right at about 2" front to rear difference, HD trucks run about 3".    

Also.  Leveling an AT4, you MUST get new upper control arms or you WILL have ball joint failure.  

Edited by newdude

I measured mine this morning (bone stock for AT4 specs), 3" of rake, measured at the center of the wheels, ground to lower lip of wheel well.

It looks level, perhaps an optical illusion with that big old honking grill...

But clearly is ready for a real level.  :)

You could always remove the rear block. That should get you level without changing you front end angles. Since it is already raise 2”

front and rear from the factory, if you remove the rear block, it should sit the same as a non at4 with a front level kit. So it won’t look too low if that’s what your thinking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AD80 said:

You could always remove the rear block. That should get you level without changing you front end angles. Since it is already raise 2”

front and rear from the factory, if you remove the rear block, it should sit the same as a non at4 with a front level kit. So it won’t look too low if that’s what your thinking.

I just installed some of those fancy AMP Research power steps, so I am thinking higher... 😉

On 11/13/2021 at 7:27 AM, newdude said:

Also.  Leveling an AT4, you MUST get new upper control arms or you WILL have ball joint failure.  

Also new here. Wasn’t aware of this. What brand and model number is recommended?

On 11/13/2021 at 7:27 AM, newdude said:

Are you measuring from the ground?

Most of the times rake is measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel well.  Using this point, 1500's run right at about 2" front to rear difference, HD trucks run about 3".    

Yes, I was measuring from the ground. I'll try measuring from the top of the tire. I wasn't aware that was the correct way. Thanks for the heads up!

On 11/13/2021 at 6:23 AM, richmz said:

It's important to know what you're measurement reference is.

Are you measuring from..

Top of tire to center of wheel well?

Ground to bumper?

Ground to frame?

Most pickups are higher at rear by design so that when loaded it will distribute the weight properly.

Here is a '21 GM AT4 file photo. The rear rake is noticeable, probably about what you're seeing.

spacer.png

Last year I took some photos of mine on level ground when loaded with over 20 bags of bark mulch. I was impressed with it's stance with it loaded, likely around 1,000 lbs or more. It handled fine at speed too.

AT4_053.jpg

AT4_051.jpg

AT4_052.jpg

Measuring from the ground to bottom of wheel well. Thanks for the info.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:20 AM, AD80 said:

Interesting idea. I actually was wondering about this. Seems like it's a good way to get a safer level for less money on the AT4. But then it would sit a little lower than a front "lifted" AT4. Maybe not a bad thing?

On 11/14/2021 at 1:20 AM, AD80 said:

Do you think it would be better to lower the rear with lowering shackles, or removing the rear block?