Is a big lift kit worth it?

i finally bought the dream truck. 2022 Diesel 1 ton. I currently have the torsion keys turned up and 37s are on their way. This is only temporary until i figure out what i want to do for the long run. 

i was thinking of the bds 6.5 inch lift with 38s. Though im afraid itll be too small. 

Is a lifted truck worth it? Any reasons id regret it? And is there a point where the truck isnt driveable? 

55 minutes ago, Lifesgood said:

i finally bought the dream truck. 2022 Diesel 1 ton. I currently have the torsion keys turned up and 37s are on their way. This is only temporary until i figure out what i want to do for the long run. 

i was thinking of the bds 6.5 inch lift with 38s. Though im afraid itll be too small. 

Is a lifted truck worth it? Any reasons id regret it? And is there a point where the truck isnt driveable? 

It all depends on what you do with your truck. I had a 87 Silverado with 10" suspension lift and a 3" body lift running 42" Swampers but that truck didn't do interstate driving mostly around town and off-road running. Hauling and towing anything was a pain due to it being so high but I loved it back then but after a few years I returned the truck back to stock (I saved all my suspension parts bolt parts truck had leaf springs in the front) to make it more practical. I broke a few parts during that time but I knew I was going to sooner or later.

Two things to think about is that high of a lift you can not return it back to stock due to factory brackets have to be cut off to install the lift kit parts and the other thing is if you ever get tired of the truck and want to sell it alot to most people wont want it due to the lift and people don't want to deal with it and have a bad rep of being abused.

I have a 3" lift and 35" X 11.5" (wanted factory wheels and no rub) on my 2015 2500.  Would I do it again?  Looks YES but probably not.  No real major issues but I rotate my tires every oil change and they still get chopped up plus the tires get louder & louder as they wear.  I have also done a few alignments. 

If you use your truck as a truck (heavy towing, plowing) then yes.  You are altering away some of that out of the truck by doing so.    

If you just daily it/mall crawl or are looking for doing some sort of functional off road setup, have at it.  

Personally (just my opinion) these trucks are plenty tall/high.  The stock 18's are already a 33 inch tire, and the 20s are a 34 inch tire.  

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, ~Wicked~ said:

I have a 3" lift and 35" X 11.5" (wanted factory wheels and no rub) on my 2015 2500.  Would I do it again?  Looks YES but probably not.  No real major issues but I rotate my tires every oil change and they still get chopped up plus the tires get louder & louder as they wear.  I have also done a few alignments. 

Your right about the front tires as IFS lifted suspensions seem to always eat front tires no matter how well there aligned most is due to most of the time people put aggressive tread tires on which are a softer compound rubber, I didnt have that problem running 42" Swampers because I had the solid front axle on my 87.  

13 hours ago, newdude said:

If you use your truck as a truck (heavy towing, plowing) then yes.  You are altering away some of that out of the truck by doing so.    

If you just daily it/mall crawl or are looking for doing some sort of functional off road setup, have at it.  

Personally (just my opinion) these trucks are plenty tall/high.  The stock 18's are already a 33 inch tire, and the 20s are a 34 inch tire.  

Thats the thing. I may buy a 25-30ft bumper pull for my job some day….MAYBE. Other than that my truck mostly sits at home but occasionally ill drive it to wherever im working.

im suprised how tall it sits. My last truck, 2018 1500 had 8 inch lift and 37s and it was 84 inches tall. This truck is leveled with the stock 34s and sits roughly 82 inches. Im thinkin the 37s will put it to the same height as my old truck. Thats insane. But still not big enough for my redneck taste. 

Dont be afraid. Big lifts rule.

I'm running  10.5" lift with 38s on my 18 1500. Its 87" tall.

If I had a new 2500/3500 it would be running a Cognito 12" lift with 40s

Screenshot_20211018-213129_Photos.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 6:23 AM, dieselfan1 said:

Dont be afraid. Big lifts rule.

I'm running  10.5" lift with 38s on my 18 1500. Its 87" tall.

If I had a new 2500/3500 it would be running a Cognito 12" lift with 40s

Screenshot_20211018-213129_Photos.jpg

Damn i like the chrome wheels they’re perfect! Do you ever have issues seeing cars on your passenger front side? My biggest worry is if i go too big and make the truck too hard to drive. 

don't forget that the HD's are taller than the 1500's before the lift (and they are taller than they used to be...)

The stock '20+ 2500 is taller than the stock 1500 with the factory 2" lift.   

comparing crew std box 4wd versions"

2500  - 79.82"

1500 with 2" factory lift - 78.2"  (so the 2500 is a about 1.6" taller)

1500 no factory lift - 75.4"  (so the 2500 is 4.4" taller)

Short bed crew 1500's are a little taller (presumably cuz they weight less and have same suspension) 

EDIT:

oopps -- I ignored that the OP truck is a 3500 (presumably srw)

3500 crew std bed 4wd is a little taller than the 2500

3500 is 80.87"

--  it starts at 5.5 inches taller than a non-lifted 1500

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, Lifesgood said:

Bad back, hurt legs, slip and fall, old and infirm can't get in easily.

Range between refuelings is less. 

Tires are 2 to 3 times as expensive as stock. 

Suspension, steering and drivetrain wears out faster. 

Additional weight reduces cargo and towing capacity.

But my daughter says, "Smiles per gallon!"

169224139.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 10:28 AM, Lifesgood said:

Do you ever have issues seeing cars on your passenger front side? My biggest worry is if i go too big and make the truck too hard to drive. 

Big mirrors help a lot

I lifted my 1500 four inches, my stock 2500 I have now is almost as tall as my lifted truck was. That said, I wouldn't do it again. It drove fine, but my fuel mileage went way down (daily driver) and I couldn't fit in some parking garages or any touchless car washes (necessary here in the winter to get the salt off). 

I'm just going to put some new wheels and better tires in a similar size to stock on the 3/4 ton and call it a day. 

• Like 1