ORDERING NEW SILVERADO???

tbare54

What dollar amount are dealers wanting to order new Silverado's and can you refuse taking delivery of ordered Silverado, if it comes in with different specs than you ordered.

The individual dealer determines the deposit, but many are taking orders without any $$$ at all. These days, they don’t much care if you take delivery or not. Their lots are empty and someone else will. Maybe even for more than you’d pay. Kind of the new strategy since sold orders often get priority build over dealer stock orders.

I've ordered a bunch of trucks over the years and haven't given a deposit or signed agreement for any of them.   When they arrived we were always able to make a deal.  

I did have a dealer wanted me to guarantee I would pay the agreed price  - but they wouldn't guaranteed me an agreed price for my trade.  I ordered it somewhere else.

If you are ordering a truck spec'd like something the dealer would order I don't think they would need a deposit.

If you want a combination of options they consider hard to sell then maybe they won't order without a deposit. 

As OnTheReel pointed out when there is no inventory they are likely glad to be able to submit it as a 'sold order'.

• Thanks 1

I ordered a new truck in October and talked to two dealers.  One wanted a deposit of 1,000 and the other 2,000.  Both said the best price they could do was MSRP.  I went with the dealer that asked for the 1,000 deposit but for other reasons.  I did sign a buyer's order but we didn't talk about the ability to not take the truck.  Mine might fall into the category of trucks the dealer would not typically order.

• Like 1

Be sure verify what options are going to be available, and get it in writing that you have the option to refuse and get your deposit back if the ones you ordered are not at time of delivery.   

• Like 1

I am seriously considering ordering a 22.5' refresh and trading in my 19' RST. Can you negotiate any off of the MSRP or are you stuck paying that and hoping the current offers are decent when you take delivery?

The allocation number will tell all Chevrolet/GMC dealers exactly how many trucks/suvs GM will build for them over next few months. Unfortunately, this does not constrain the dealership from pre-selling more than the earned allocation, as GM does not manage this process in any way. In other words, a dealer (knowing they only have two Denali’s arriving within the next six months) can pre-sell 20 and simply tell the customer that the order has been put in. For the 18 customers who are at the bottom of the list, they are at the mercy of whatever story the dealer tells them regarding the production of the vehicle. Dealers are under no obligation to disclose how many of their earned allocations are spoken for when making pre-order sales. As such, many dealers don’t disclose this information to the customer because if they did, you would probably walk right out the door.

Thanks for the info.

So in your example above, would the 18 waiting eventually get their orders filled before the current year production is wound up?  Specifically for the LTD models.  It sounds like they will only be making them for a few more months.  I have a HC on order that apparently the dealer doesn't have allocation for.  Is there a chance the order will be cancelled?

Edited by avalanched
typo

If your dealer does not have an allocation, you do not have it on order.  It is on "order" with the dealership but not with GM, much like the example on the Denali's.  If your dealer does not receive an allocation for model/trim of your truck and it bumps into the cutoff time, you are correct....... you will not get the truck.  

I ordered a 2022 LTD/AT4  on August 19th when my dealer had an allocation for (1) unit.  It was delivered on November 4th.  It was built complete, with all features and options that I ordered.  I was just lucky as I got the heated seats, adaptive cruise, 3.0L duramax, etc.  

Have you searched online to see if any other dealers are expecting a truck built to your specs?  That is an option to secure one that is "in transit".  Just a suggestion.

13 hours ago, avalanched said:

Thanks for the info.

So in your example above, would the 18 waiting eventually get their orders filled before the current year production is wound up?  Specifically for the LTD models.  It sounds like they will only be making them for a few more months.  I have a HC on order that apparently the dealer doesn't have allocation for.  Is there a chance the order will be cancelled?

No, you only have an preliminary order with a dealer, not with GM. GM is not obligated to build anything so no matter how many orders a dealer has, if he has no allocations there is little to no chance the order will ever get accepted.  GM is trying to balance production.  Keep in mind they have 1,000's of suppliers that need to provide the parts etc to build vehicles so the have to plan far in advance this the need to control the orders from dealers. 

Maybe this will provide more info on the allocation process

1100 and Dealer Allocation

This causes a lot of issues. When you place an order with a dealer, the status is 1100. UNTIL Chevrolet ACCEPTS the order, it just sits there at 1100. You don't have an order with GM at this point. You only have a dealer requesting an allocation for a slot in the production schedule. Dealer Allocation is simple to understand - GM changed its model for producing vehicles a few years' back. Dealers are now awarded allocation based on past performance, as well as other factors. If you are sitting at 1100 you are not in line yet for production. Your dealer MUST get GM to accept the order. When GM accepts the order, all the parts are available and will be allocated to your car build.

First, many dealers do not understand the allocation process.

Second, dealers are told at the beginning of every model year the number of units they are expected to order. This is their Guide Number, so called because it is intended to help a dealer "floor plan."

Third, many dealers confuse Guide Number with Allocation.

Fourth, dealers are told every other Thursday how many Allocations (a portion of the Guide Number) they can use over the following two weeks AND this number of orders will be divided over two weeks.

To summarize, say the dealer is given 50 units as a Guide, which means about 1 unit every weekly ordering process from 2 units awarded in the every other week ordering process. If the dealer sells a dozen trucks every year, change the 50 to 12 and reduce the bi-weekly consensus to conform. By the way, this awkward system meets laws and demands of court decisions.

When will my car/truck ship?

You have better chances of picking winning lottery numbers than to know for sure when your vehicle will ship. When you combine the QC issues with geographical delivery of vehicles (at the lowest possible cost so they need to aggregate deliveries - and they don't not use a first in first out methodology), this can be the most frustrating part of the whole SRE journey. There is no transparency to actual data. There is just generic codes and sometimes the whisper from "someone in the know". Your vehicle may ship quickly, it may not. It will likely take longer the more rural you are and the lower the volume of cars your dealer sells.

Also, keep in mind that the dealer can prioritize his orders.  If a good customer of the dealer wants something there is nothing to stop the dealer from moving his order up to No. 1.  See below.

Priority number – Indicates the dealer’s preference for the placement of a preliminary order. The lower the number the higher the priority. A sold order defaults to a priority of 1, stock orders default to a priority of 99. Priority 0 means that the dealer does not want GM to place the order. The dealer can change these numbers as needed.

Edited by elcamino

15 hours ago, Brian Howenstine said:

If your dealer does not have an allocation, you do not have it on order.  It is on "order" with the dealership but not with GM, much like the example on the Denali's.  If your dealer does not receive an allocation for model/trim of your truck and it bumps into the cutoff time, you are correct....... you will not get the truck.  

I ordered a 2022 LTD/AT4  on August 19th when my dealer had an allocation for (1) unit.  It was delivered on November 4th.  It was built complete, with all features and options that I ordered.  I was just lucky as I got the heated seats, adaptive cruise, 3.0L duramax, etc.  

Have you searched online to see if any other dealers are expecting a truck built to your specs?  That is an option to secure one that is "in transit".  Just a suggestion.

Thanks for your response.  Very helpful.  I search on the chevy/gmc sites every couple of days but it seems my specs aren't very popular. I ordered (or tried to) a HC with a 6.2 and standard box.  Seem to be very few.  What's strange is the dealers are starting to receive the 22 LTDs like I ordered but only the 21 inventory is on-line.  21 or 22 LTD is fine with me, but now I need to go to individual dealer sites to see what they have.

Again, thanks for the info. Very helpful.

14 hours ago, elcamino said:

Also, keep in mind that the dealer can prioritize his orders.  If a good customer of the dealer wants something there is nothing to stop the dealer from moving his order up to No. 1.  See below.

Priority number – Indicates the dealer’s preference for the placement of a preliminary order. The lower the number the higher the priority. A sold order defaults to a priority of 1, stock orders default to a priority of 99. Priority 0 means that the dealer does not want GM to place the order. The dealer can change these numbers as needed.

I saw from the initial workbench order printout that it definitely said sold order.  I did not notice a priority, but that would probably not be on what they sent me.

Thanks again for the info.  It sounds like I need to put the dealer on the spot a little more than I have but maybe not too much.

I was looking for a truck in March of this year and the dealer was trying to find one with the options I wanted and they took a $500 deposit. After over 3 weeks of trying to locate one, I was told they had an open order allocation and I could order what I wanted. I could wait for what I ordered or if they found something at another dealer I could take that. If they couldn't find anything and Chevy couldn't build the truck they would refund my money. They placed the order and it was on the dealer's lot in 5 weeks!

Fwiw.   There are various levels of websites a dealer can purchase/subscribe to and what inventory they can elect to show and when.   The websites are not GM managed but a vendor does it.

https://www.sincrodigital.com/GM

Edited by elcamino