Does The First Free Service Have To Be Performed By the Selling Dealership?

Getting within 1000 miles of my first free service by GM that is supposed to be an oil change, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection.  I already received the reminder from GM about it.  I found this truck and purchased it out of my hometown.  Do I have the option of my first free service from GM at my local dealership instead?

• Like 1

I used a different dealership. They did the tire rotation, but did not adjust tire pressures or register the tpms sensors in the new locations. I figured that out once it started to get cold outside and I needed to add air to the tires. Luckily I have a tpms tool and fixed it myself. 

So check the dipstick and tire pressures when you get home. 

As far as the timeframe is concerned, I remember there is a deadline and it is provided in the paperwork, but you will have to look there for it.  I never used it as I don't want the dealership touching my truck for anything other than warranty claims, and even then I'm hesitant. 

The first service is simply an oil change, use it if you want, or don't use the dealership and get much better quality lubricants and filters elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Gangly said:

As far as the timeframe is concerned, I remember there is a deadline and it is provided in the paperwork, but you will have to look there for it.  I never used it as I don't want the dealership touching my truck for anything other than warranty claims, and even then I'm hesitant. 

The first service is simply an oil change, use it if you want, or don't use the dealership and get much better quality lubricants and filters elsewhere.

Oil change, tire rotation and "multi point inspection" which is more or less a pencil whip. That is, the oil change tech just walking around while the oil drains. I had five free services. I don't have any problems with the free oil and filter. Not sure what you mean by better quality oil and filters. My dealer is one of a very few I trust. Though it's a 90 minute drive one way. 

Not all dealers are = I bought mime about 50 miles away as the dealership only 5 miles away who I have used for over 10 years, told me as I did not let them find the truck and did not buy from them they would not do any service on it. I called GM they could care less!!!

55 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

You drive 90 minutes one way for an oil change etc. You don't understand better quality oil and filter? 

I specifically asked the dealership doing the first free oil change if it was a synthetic oil and it was, so free synthetic oil is hard to beat.

The term synthetic oil has been bastardized by big oil and what they call synthetic might not be synthetic at all. 

Your free oil change is going to be with the lowest cost oil from a bulk oil supplier that just meets spec', no more, no less.  They are not going to use Mobil 1 unless you are paying extra for it.  Free; you get what you pay for. 

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phantom 4D said:

Oil change, tire rotation and "multi point inspection" which is more or less a pencil whip. That is, the oil change tech just walking around while the oil drains. I had five free services. I don't have any problems with the free oil and filter. Not sure what you mean by better quality oil and filters. My dealer is one of a very few I trust. Though it's a 90 minute drive one way. 

The free first service will include oil from the budget barrel and an ACDelco filter which has been tested and proven to be one of the lowest grade filters available.  Yes, they do pass GM standards/requirements, but that's all they can do which doesn't say much since just about every name brand filter and name brand oil does. 

Just remember, most dealership services are performed with lubricants and components that are designed to meet the MINIMUM requirements, not surpass them.  Utilizing lubricants and parts designed to EXCEED the requirements is where you should start, and most of the time you can do that at a significantly cheaper price point than what a dealership is charging you for inferior quality products put on by an 18 year old who just learned what a wrench is.

I’ve watched lots of oil changes at my local GM dealer. They have oil in drums. Iv never seen the budget drum as some call it. It’s probably in the same vain as most cars come with electric windows. It’s just cheaper that way. Rather than trying to teach the 18 year old oil change person the difference it’s probably all the same. I did ask the Honda dealer the last time I was there it’s all synthetic now. Probably the same at GM. Same with filters it’s probably all the same. 

23 hours ago, Gangly said:

The deadline is on the 1 year anniversary that the vehicle was put into service unless that has changed within the past couple of years.

Another area were people can check and see if they are within that deadline is by going to Chevy's or GMC's websites, logging into their account, clicking on the warranty link and then scrolling through until they get to the free oil change information to see if they are still eligible or not.

21 hours ago, schmitzna said:

I specifically asked the dealership doing the first free oil change if it was a synthetic oil and it was, so free synthetic oil is hard to beat.

Well if you're happy that's all that matters.

Me and a lot of others do our own oil and filter changes so we can pick our own products.

• Like 1