FOUND MY DASH RATTLE

Been chasing a very pronounced dash rattle directly behind the cluster  for months. Almost Removed the entire dash and no luck. The interweb didn’t help much, never seen this before. 

just earlier I removed the windshield wipers and plastic cover and found a really loose bolt. Under the wiper motor. Not tight at all. Had to use the impact because it kept spinning I assume there’s a nut on the other side. Now it’s tight. My cabin is now RATTLE FREE. 2019 CC z71 58k miles. 

1BE224BC-17A3-4CA4-B7E0-B9EE7ECD36C1.jpeg

Edited by 11bravoZ71
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good job finding it.  Rattles/creaks/squeaks are the worst.

In case somebody searches "rattle", I had one that drove me nuts.  Thought it was the dash and so did the dealer, so they took it damn near apart.  You could hear it better but it wasn't in the dash.  It ended up being a wiring harness rubbing on the transmission bell housing.  10 minute fix.  I understand after they found it, it went upstream to GM and they changed the manufacturing process so it wouldn't happen to others.  Who knows if that happened though.

Edited by cltsig
  • Like 2

Absolutely it’s always great to post these finds for the next person. This rattle almost  made want to trade this in lol. Thats how bad it was. Other then my 8speed reverse clunk hoping warranty fixes it. I would say having a permanent rattle that cannot he found is worse.  I took apart almost everything and zip tied this and taped that etc. went underneath the dash taped a lot of wires etcc…. I even thought it was shocks. Rattles are evil and serve no purpose.  

Edited by 11bravoZ71
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2022 at 11:01 PM, 11bravoZ71 said:

Been chasing a very pronounced dash rattle directly behind the cluster  for months. Almost Removed the entire dash and no luck. The interweb didn’t help much, never seen this before. 

just earlier I removed the windshield wipers and plastic cover and found a really loose bolt. Under the wiper motor. Not tight at all. Had to use the impact because it kept spinning I assume there’s a nut on the other side. Now it’s tight. My cabin is now RATTLE FREE. 2019 CC z71 58k miles. 

1BE224BC-17A3-4CA4-B7E0-B9EE7ECD36C1.jpeg

Did it almost sound like the rattle was tapping on the windshield?

23 minutes ago, MrMagloo said:

Bravo hasn't been online for 10 months.  This is an old thread.  I wouldn't hold your breath for a reply.

nothing wrong with bringing up old threads if it's a topic that doesn't get covered a lot. Also, a lot of these people haven't sold their vehicle, so they still remain on the forum. Maybe a year from now this, or my experience will help someone else.

Here's my story that happened last week:

I took my 3.0 duramax to get trans, brakes, and coolant serviced at 103k miles. While it was there, the dealer mentioned a Nox sensor issue that i OK'd to replace. When I got it back, I heard a rattle that seems like it was under my dash, behind the glove compartment. After it lasted a few days and drove me bonkers, I did a search to look for anyone else that had a similar issue. I then thought that since they were around my exhaust, I'd look there. Sure enough, tracing the new NOx sensor back, I found the wiring harness had plastic circular clips to hold it in place, but some were off and hitting against the frame. It was so weird for something that far under the car to cause a noise that sounded like it came from my dash. I lucked out that between me thinking this was an area the dealer touched, and the fact that everything was easily seen under the truck, made this doable. I was already researching from people doing stereo things how to take apart my dash as a worse case scenario. If things got to that point, i may have taken it back to the dealership, but it's hard for me to part with my vehicle, especially since it's no longer under warrantee. Troubleshooting and rental car adds up fast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrMagloo said:

Bravo hasn't been online for 10 months.  This is an old thread.  I wouldn't hold your breath for a reply.

Why does there always have to be one like you, comes naturally? Are the thread monitor? “OLD THREAD”…. Aren’t there threads on here where people ask questions about much older trucks? What are they supposed to do, not ask since it’s been covered 10 years ago? 

Edited by RCMH
Response
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SC4R3C120W said:

nothing wrong with bringing up old threads if it's a topic that doesn't get covered a lot. Also, a lot of these people haven't sold their vehicle, so they still remain on the forum. Maybe a year from now this, or my experience will help someone else.

Here's my story that happened last week:

I took my 3.0 duramax to get trans, brakes, and coolant serviced at 103k miles. While it was there, the dealer mentioned a Nox sensor issue that i OK'd to replace. When I got it back, I heard a rattle that seems like it was under my dash, behind the glove compartment. After it lasted a few days and drove me bonkers, I did a search to look for anyone else that had a similar issue. I then thought that since they were around my exhaust, I'd look there. Sure enough, tracing the new NOx sensor back, I found the wiring harness had plastic circular clips to hold it in place, but some were off and hitting against the frame. It was so weird for something that far under the car to cause a noise that sounded like it came from my dash. I lucked out that between me thinking this was an area the dealer touched, and the fact that everything was easily seen under the truck, made this doable. I was already researching from people doing stereo things how to take apart my dash as a worse case scenario. If things got to that point, i may have taken it back to the dealership, but it's hard for me to part with my vehicle, especially since it's no longer under warrantee. Troubleshooting and rental car adds up fast. 

Thanks for the intelligent and mature response. 

• Like 1