P050D Return to stock before dealer visit? Now P0301 code

Last year, I picked up a Rough Country Speedometer Calibrator to correct for my non stock sized tires. Stock on mine were 275/55R20 and I changed them to 275/60R20. Speedo ran slower than I was traveling and I wasn't happy. The RC Calibrator took care of it and now my speedo matches actual speed as checked by various GPS apps as well as Garmin GPS.

But early last winter, one morning when starting the truck, I got the P050D error code but nothing else. The truck still ran fine so using a Bluetooth OBDII reader, cleared it and it had been fine for quite a while now. I needed the code cleared because the remote start wouldn't work with that code active and I rely on the remote start quite a bit. But about a week ago, upon starting the truck, I didn't notice the CEL, but suddenly I got an OnStar alert right away telling me that there was a problem with my engine or transmission and to take it to the dealer the next day. I did the OBDII reader and there was the P050D code again. Again, the truck was running fine so I cleared it. I figured that if it happened again, I would make an appointment with dealer to look into it further. Well today, I remote started the truck to cool it down before the family got in for a short trip. About a minute after remote starting, it shut off. I thought maybe I had accidentally done it and tried remote starting again but it wouldn't. I noticed after I put the key in and started, the CEL was back on and a quick check showed the P050D code again. 

So now it's time to get it looked at by the dealer. Luckily I have a GM protection plan still active for 3 more years so I should be ok. But would it be best to return from the RC programming back to stock or should I not even bother? I'm guessing that it's going to show that I had programmed it even if I return to stock but this programming shouldn't have anything to do with the code from what I've seen.

Edited by mikeyk101

I'm not sure exactly how those communicate with the PCM/TCM for updating the tire size.

It's possible that they wouldn't be able to tell it was even used because it's likely not fully overwriting the calibration file. Plus the 2017-2018 trucks in this body style have far more encryption than the 2014-2016's do. For a tuner like HP Tuners it requires a internet connection to a online server just to be able to license the file for tuning.

They list in the description that you can return it to stock before being serviced, so I assume that means however they are making the changes must not leave a trail. So I'd just do as they say, return it to stock speedo settings and bring it in.

• Like 1

I guess I should have taken my own regular advice and RTFM for answers. You are correct and it tells me to return to the factory programming before service.

1118201740_Screenshot_20220515-103318_AcrobatforSamsung.thumb.jpg.20bbf03a72cdd88fbe263e1be3f4d1b6.jpg

At least now I know to do that. I'm just curious now to see if doing the custom programming will show up on their end. 

Interesting enough, after returning to the factory programming, the P050D still shows up on the OBDII reader as a historic fault. So now I know at least that the RC Calibrator doesn't overwrite everything so maybe the custom programming won't be visible...

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I will have an answer on this soon. Besides reverting back to stock programming, I pulled my Range AFM disabler so it has been fully stock for almost a month now.

Yesterday when starting the truck, I had a very rough idle and almost immediately I got an advanced diagnostic alert to service emissions system from Onstar as well as the check engine light. A quick check on my reader shows a P0301 code now as well as a pending P050D again. Not happy because now I definitely need to get it in to the dealer. Especially because I am leaving town on the 16th dragging my toyhauler to Custer SD for several days and then on to Cody WY for a couple more days.

I know the P0301 points to a cylinder 1 misfire. But I also know from the forum that it could be caused by a whole range of issues including fuel injector(s), bad coil, stuck lifter, among others. It gets dropped off next Wed night so they can do a diagnostic check first thing Thur morning. Bad thing is they don't have any loaner vehicles available until around the 16th. Fingers crossed that this is a simple fix and I can still take my trip...

Quick update, I forgot on my Torque Pro app, I set up 1 of the screens to monitor current misfire conditions per cylinders. I put the key into run on a cold engine but didn't start it. I let Torque Pro connect to the reader first and then started the engine. It showed misfires on Cylinder 1 but, it peaked once and then smoothed out after the initial misfires. But it also showed many more misfires on Cylinder 2. This lasted about 20-30 seconds. It peaked several times and then smoothed out as well. Once it did, the idle was normal.

Surprisingly, it didn't set a P0302 code along with the P0301 even though it seems there was a bigger misfire problem on Cylinder 2.

Edited by mikeyk101

• mikeyk101 changed the title to P050D Return to stock before dealer visit? Now P0301 code
On 6/3/2022 at 11:44 AM, mikeyk101 said:

Surprisingly, it didn't set a P0302 code along with the P0301 even though it seems there was a bigger misfire problem on Cylinder 2.

Not really surprising, as the DME uses acceleration of the crankshaft on the power stroke (per data from the CkPS) to code a misfire.  Misfires on adjacent cylinders, both in the firing order and sharing crank journals, can trigger misleading misfire codes, even on old-school power balance tests.

While you're waiting for the dealer, ever due a basic spark plug and wire tune-up?  Swap coils between distant cylinders to see if the misfire follows?

Edited by 16LT4

10 hours ago, 16LT4 said:

Not really surprising, as the DME uses acceleration of the crankshaft on the power stroke (per data from the CkPS) to code a misfire.  Misfires on adjacent cylinders, both in the firing order and sharing crank journals, can trigger misleading misfire codes, even on old-school power balance tests.

While you're waiting for the dealer, ever due a basic spark plug and wire tune-up?  Swap coils between distant cylinders to see if the misfire follows?

No I haven't tried that. I have seen that advice in several threads to diagnose it. The hard part is that this only happens at very first start when engine is cold. If I shut off and restart immediately, no misfires. So I would have to do the swap before the very first start otherwise I would gave to let it sit until the following day to retry. I figure I have the GM Protection Plan and already have the appointment for Thur so I will let them diagnose it first and see what they find.

Just to follow up, I have regularly started getting the Torque Pro app and Bluetooth reader active before starting and 2 days ago, besides the code and also several misfires on Cyl 2, I now saw a bunch happening on Cyl's 6 and 8 as well. This lasts only for about 10 or 15 seconds on a cold start and results in a rough idle. It smooths out and then the misfires dont happen again until it sits for a long time, usually an overnight cool down. I keep it running while driving and never see any more activity. It runs just fine after the initial 15 seconds

Nearly 100% of the misfires or rough-starts I've diagnosed for both myself as well as customers in the last 2 years have been due to spark plugs.  If you've got the few minutes of motivation, remove a couple of spark plugs and read them, along with checking gap and resistance; at least this way you'd have some data to compare to what the dealer diagnoses.  The last couple of sets of Bosches I've tested had double the resistance of NGKs, brand new out of the box; not the end of the world on a new plug, but could be problematic with miles and increased electrode gap.  I replaced a set of iridium NGKs on my BMW this past January with only 50k miles on them, after noticing both a lean condition (due to failing/failed fuel pump) AND a 0.005" increase in the gap.  I've got lifetime plug replacements for that car, so I didn't even attempt to restore the plugs.

The 11th Gen F150 guys LOVE Torque-Pro, as did I when I used it back when I had the '04 FX4.  The interface I had to use was horrible: just a cheap, old, used Android phone because the iPhone version of the app didn't work well.  Are you using the Android or iPhone version?

• Like 1

I am using the Android version. It seems to work OK. I did have to add the predefined PID set for GM as the generic PID sensor monitors weren't all working. It's interesting to monitor things in real time like the coolant temp and see that the dash gauge is even more generic. The actual coolant temp can have a 20⁰ swing either way before the dash gauge moves off 210⁰. With Torque Pro, I know right away if temp is rising which has come in handy when pulling the toy hauler. I have found that the Trans Temp in the DIC is actually spot on and much better than the Coolant gauge. But I also like being able to monitor more stuff than the dash gives me. Plus the ability to clear codes to see if they come back up again. Screenshot_20220608-092845_Torque.thumb.jpg.e665b90a00fd683bb0c3300ab0b62577.jpg

This is my most used real time screen for monitoring things.

And this is one of the screens I have been using to check the misfires.

Screenshot_20220603-134652_Torque.thumb.jpg.f2381f4c3d1f87c33d707eca1a91e705.jpg

Add the screens for MAF airflow, O2 sensor voltages, and fuel trims, and you'll really unlock the benefits of TP.  I used it for monitoring engine run-time parameters, not dash displays.

Your misfire on #2 falls off a cliff, so I wonder if 1) the misfire actually stopped or if 2) the misfire threshold was reached for the DME to stop injecting fuel to that cylinder at that time.

• Like 1

The misfires will peak about four times and then level off and stop. Rough idle while it's happening and when it stops, I get a smooth idle for the rest of the trip with no more misfires. But surprisingly, I only get the P0301 repeatedly and not a P0302.

Screenshot_20220603-134624_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20220603-134631_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20220603-134641_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20220603-134652_Torque.jpg

On 5/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, mikeyk101 said:

At least now I know to do that. I'm just curious now to see if doing the custom programming will show up on their end. 

Interesting enough, after returning to the factory programming, the P050D still shows up on the OBDII reader as a historic fault. So now I know at least that the RC Calibrator doesn't overwrite everything so maybe the custom programming won't be visible...

Every time the ECM is flashed it increases an internal counter by 1. As long as the count jives with  the number of times the vechicle has been presented to an authorized dealer for recall/warranty work there won't be a problem.

5 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Every time the ECM is flashed it increases an internal counter by 1. As long as the count jives with  the number of times the vechicle has been presented to an authorized dealer for recall/warranty work there won't be a problem.

Ruth roh!!! Well looks like I will probably find out tomorrow. Dropped it off at dealer tonight so they can do the cold start diagnosis first thing in the morning.

Well the dealership called about an hour ago. They verified the P050D code as well as the P0301 code but they also got a P0300 as well. I was told that the tech found the problem and it was definitely the fuel injector for Cyl 1. I was told that it was stuck open. The bad news is that they won't be able to get a new one until Monday at the earliest. The service guy did say that the repairs will be covered under my GMPP but that usually, they normally recommend to replace all the injectors when this happens. However the GMPP will only authorize the injectors that are tested to be bad to be replaced. At least I still have a little over 50,000 miles and 3 years left on the plan for the rest to fail...

At least there was no mention of any of the custom flashing that I had done with the Rough Country speedo calibrator so that's good.

• Like 1

Sorry, a little rant so ignore if you arent interested.

And I was reminded again why I do not like some dealerships... It wasn't until this afternoon after not hearing back about the rental that is included in the GMPP plan that I called the dealership back. I was told that they contacted GMPP and was supposedly told that yes, I do have rental coverage but I would have to work that out on my own and submit the claim to be reimbursed. That didn't sound right so I called GMPP direct and was told that there are 3 options. First is that dealer provides a loaner. Second was that many dealerships have working relationships with car rental agencies like Enterprise, Hertz, etc. and they can arrange the rental and include the cost on the work order. Third is that I go out and get my own and pay for it myself and then file a claim for reimbursement. So I call the dealer back up and ask why I wasn't told about the first 2 options. I got somewhat of a runaround by the service writer and he wasn't really answering the question so I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor told me that this dealer used to maintain 10 rentals but because of a new vehicle shortage, they were forced to reduce it to 5. I can actually understand this and does make some sense. So then I asked about them dealing with rental car companies. He tried explaining that they don't have a working relationship with any rental companies because they are a small dealership and claimed something about their contract with Chevrolet won't allow them to do this anymore. This sounded like a BS answer. I asked him if he thought this was detrimental to his service department and a big inconvenience to customers and he said, "not at all" and went on to try and justify why. I said that providing a means for a loaner or a rental would go agreat deal towards customer satisfaction especially being able to include the rental on the work order. He completely disagreed and said that if I want a rental, they could call a rental company for me and have them call me to arrange the details and payment. So next I began to complain about the fact that my truck was going to be sitting there for the next 4 days because the parts aren't available until Monday. He said that my truck is still in the condition it was in when I dropped it off and is driveable and I can pick it up if I want to. 15 mins later I was there picking it up.

Before I left, I had another conversation with the service writer. I'm kind of under the gun and am leaving town next Fri and want this handled before I leave. I asked him if he could guarantee that the part would be available on Mon and I bring the truck back and get it back by Mon afternoon. He said that could be done so I reluctantly agreed to be back first thing Mon morning. We shall see. But after this, I will be looking for another dealership that has a better idea of how to provide proper customer service. 

Edited by mikeyk101