Replace my own rear pinion seal?

I used to be a technician back in the day and got a quote from a repair shop to put a rear pinion seal for $200 in my 2018 Silverado.. Seems a little high. I used to do them all the time in like 30 minutes. Should I try it my self or find a cheaper shop to do it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Seal is wiped out because the pinion bearing failed.

Not always. It's a seal made by the thousands, have one fail is not uncommon. If you work in a shop you'd find out rather quick how many rear seals you'd see weeping fluid without a bearing failure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Not always. It's a seal made by the thousands, have one fail is not uncommon. If you work in a shop you'd find out rather quick how many rear seals you'd see weeping fluid without a bearing failure.

Easy enough to do over if you enjoy volunteer work. 👍

On 9/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, handyman58 said:

I used to be a technician back in the day and got a quote from a repair shop to put a rear pinion seal for $200 in my 2018 Silverado.. Seems a little high. I used to do them all the time in like 30 minutes. Should I try it my self or find a cheaper shop to do it?

That's a good price but is it worth it for you to do it yourself?  Do you have necessary tools?