Will an oil soaked rear brake give you ABS and Parking brake warning lights?

I have a 2005 Sierra 1500 sle 4x4. It has a bad rear axel seal that has leaked into the rear drum. I have had this abs and parking brake light on for a little while. Will the oil in the drum contaminating the components cause this warning light? I pulled the axel to replace the seal and the bearing rollers dropped out of the race so that is also bad. The area of the axel where the bearing and seal ride is chewed up a bit too so I am replacing the axel as well. But again does this problem cause the abs and Peking brake warning lights to come on?

• Like 1

Just inside of the bearing is the ABS reluctor wheel.  Did that get damaged too?  Do you see the wire that attaches to the sensor on top of the axle tube?  Everything ok with that up to the connector near the frame?

At least that how it is on my trucks, 2009-2013.

No I don’t see any of what you are talking about. It is just a standard roller bearing. No wires on the axel tube. I will mention, this is a rear drum brake truck, Tow package z71.

• Like 1

Pretty sure they will be unrelated.

A 2005 should only have front ABS sensors I believe. So you'd need a scan tool with ABS ability to see what is causing your codes.

• Thanks 1

I believe the 2005 trucks had a speed sensor in the trans for the rear ABS. 

On that year truck any ABS fault would lead me to the 2 front wheel sensors being rust jacked. I fixed a bunch of those over the years. 

Edited by 64BAwagon