In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Difference btwn 2500HD and 3500HD SRW

I just remembered I wrote down the wheel center to fender distances before I put the camper on this last time, so tomorrow I’ll put a floor jack under the trailer hitch frame and raise the truck until the rear suspension height matches the unloaded height, and then snap some more pictures of the secondary spring ends. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 5:56 PM, Jettech1 said:

I wish I had bought a 3500 to begin with.  But they were non existent when I was looking last year.  As a hint, drop the rear tires to 55 and the fronts to 65.  Makes them ride like a caddy...lol....

very true, I had a tough time finding my first 2 HD trucks, 2023 wasn't too hard but 3500s were always much more scarce, especially a gas unless it was a fleet WT......even still not a ton.......if you did find one built like you wanted you would have to jump on it like yesterday no hesitating.......lost out on GMC twiddling my thumbs thinking too much.....really wanted that multi pro for work everyday but whatever......

• Like 1

Yeah, my 2021 3500 cclb SLT gas truck I ordered with all the available tech, camper springs, 220 amp alternator, and second battery that arrived at the dealer in April 2021 got a lot of attention and a couple of offers in the 24 hours it was in the delivery area before I picked it up. I bought it while they were still honoring the supplier discount.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another JR said:

Yeah, my 2021 3500 cclb SLT gas truck I ordered with all the available tech, camper springs, 220 amp alternator, and second battery that arrived at the dealer in April 2021 got a lot of attention and a couple of offers in the 24 hours it was in the delivery area before I picked it up. I bought it while they were still honoring the supplier discount.  

Thats funny, a similar thing happened when my 2021 3500HD came in. It was marked as a Sold order but somehow when it was placed in the dealers inventory someone saw it online and tried to snipe it from me. The finance guy had a proof of insurance from another person with my trucks VIN. The guy was hoping I would stumble and he wanted to be prepared to grab the truck. Luckily my salesman locked it down and wouldnt let anyone near it after it came in. I could just imagine some dope test driving MY new truck, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 64BAwagon said:

Thats funny, a similar thing happened when my 2021 3500HD came in. It was marked as a Sold order but somehow when it was placed in the dealers inventory someone saw it online and tried to snipe it from me. The finance guy had a proof of insurance from another person with my trucks VIN. The guy was hoping I would stumble and he wanted to be prepared to grab the truck. Luckily my salesman locked it down and wouldnt let anyone near it after it came in. I could just imagine some dope test driving MY new truck, 

Yeah I like ordering a vehicle so nobody test drives it and abuses the brand new engine. My truck had 2 miles on it when I took delivery. 

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed lately is the Railroads must have bought every HD work truck gasser GM had available from 20 and on.  Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit but I see those things all the time specially equipped with drop down rail wheels and the large work truck body compartments in place of the truck bed.  Pretty cool seeing them on the rail wheels going down the tracks.

4 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

One thing I've noticed lately is the Railroads must have bought every HD work truck gasser GM had available from 20 and on.  Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit but I see those things all the time specially equipped with drop down rail wheels and the large work truck body compartments in place of the truck bed.  Pretty cool seeing them on the rail wheels going down the tracks.

A lot of companies had rolling stock that was getting pretty old. Seems to be a lot of pent up demand

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Another JR said:

Yeah I like ordering a vehicle so nobody test drives it and abuses the brand new engine. My truck had 2 miles on it when I took delivery. 

Mine only had a few. The plant had to drive it to the bedliner building and then to the yard for shipping. A quick trip to the gas station from the dealer and that was all. 

3 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

Mine only had a few. The plant had to drive it to the bedliner building and then to the yard for shipping. A quick trip to the gas station from the dealer and that was all. 

Seems like most of ones I bought had 10 miles, from different dealerships as well

On 10/1/2023 at 5:21 PM, Jettech1 said:

That's my point.  They are identical.  You have the 2 overload 3500 helpers on top of your spring pack.  But our basic spring packs are identical.  Tell me I'm wrong.

The rain stopped so I finally got my truck out to take pictures. At the unloaded position of my rear axle as shown in the attached pictures the secondary springs have a little clearance (1/8 at front and 3/8 at rear, roughly), which is much less than the large clearance shown in your pictures. The secondaries are in full contact by the time the suspension is depressed 1 inch from the unloaded position. 

436CF378-BAFC-4C11-A886-42DA3E3C5B63.jpeg

7550FDAE-F4CB-4076-A99A-45B96FE38684.jpeg

2 hours ago, Another JR said:

The rain stopped so I finally got my truck out to take pictures. At the unloaded position of my rear axle as shown in the attached pictures the secondary springs have a little clearance (1/8 at front and 3/8 at rear, roughly), which is much less than the large clearance shown in your pictures. The secondaries are in full contact by the time the suspension is depressed 1 inch from the unloaded position. 

436CF378-BAFC-4C11-A886-42DA3E3C5B63.jpeg

7550FDAE-F4CB-4076-A99A-45B96FE38684.jpeg

So your truck is 100% unloaded sitting on level ground?

Exactly level laterally. Front wheels lower than rear maybe 2 inches. Camper still on, but truck frame (not rear axle) is jacked up by the about 1.5 inches needed to put the rear suspension at the unloaded extension exactly as previously measured from wheel center to fender last time the camper was off with 1/4 tank of gas in the truck. I had taken those measurements to see exactly how much the camper settled the rear suspension.  The truck rear suspension in those pictures is at exactly the unloaded rear suspension extension, and the 1.25% slope of the driveway has no effect. 

7 minutes ago, Another JR said:

Exactly level laterally. Front wheels lower than rear maybe 2 inches. Camper still on, but truck frame (not rear axle) is jacked up by the about 1.5 inches needed to put the rear suspension at the unloaded extension exactly as previously measured from wheel center to fender last time the camper was off with 1/4 tank of gas in the truck. I had taken those measurements to see exactly how much the camper settled the rear suspension.  The truck rear suspension in those pictures is at exactly the unloaded rear suspension extension, and the 1.25% slope of the driveway has no effect. 

How about we re look at this when your camper is off the bed ok?  Just for apples to apples comparison without any other influence involved.  LOL....they are the same spring pack Jon.  Prove me wrong!  Apples to apples ok?

Edited by Jettech1

It is apples to apples. I’m not guessing at the unloaded suspension position.  I had taken careful measurements of my rear suspension (wheel center to fender to eliminate tire effects) when it was unloaded, and I today put it in the same unloaded position by jacking the frame up to unload the rear suspension to the unloaded suspension measurement.  It doesn’t matter how the static suspension position is achieved. It just needs to be in the same position as the unloaded position to show the spring gaps for that suspension position. The truck could literally be upside down and it still would show it correctly (other than the small gravity pull on the springs themselves ever so slightly changing the spring shape).  

• Like 1