Infotainment System Blackout (Shutdown)

zburk15

I've been having issues with my truck's infotainment system.  On numerous occasions the screen will black out, or just shut down the display and audio when I'm driving down the road. If I turn my volume knob or even my steering wheel volume controls the display and audio will turn black.  I've also noticed that when this happens the USB connection that would be charging a phone stops.  So it makes me wonder if there is a programming error cutting off power?

Last week I took it into my local dealership to have them look at it.  They charged me $140± to do a software update to V163 and I drove off thinking the problem was fixed.  No more than an hour later, I touch the volume knob and the infotainment display turns black and the audio cuts off AGAIN!!  This is the third time I've taken it to the dealership for this issue, and from my research it appears that GM does not have a solution for this problem.  Just these service bulletins that call out these "anomalies".   I cannot keep paying for a dealership diagnostic and get NO RESULTS.  Especially when multiple dealerships tell me the problem is the GM software.  I need to resolve this problem.  Please let me know my options.

Have your battery tested. If that passes, open a case with Chevy Customer Care and get it in to be TROUBLESHOT (no blind repairing of anything)..

Why did they charge you for a software update to "repair" something if the truck could potentially still be under the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper? At a minimum, I would inquire about why you were charged for a so-called repair that was not determined to be necessary by effective troubleshooting and/or request to see the TSB that indicated your complaint could be remedied by a software update (and why it had to be done by the dealer).

Battery is fine.  The first time I took it in was for this issue and i was under the 3/36 warranty.  They replaced the modules and everything was fine for almost another year.  Then the same symptoms showed up. So I took it back in.  They started troubleshooting it again, and started working like normal while they were troubleshooting it.  Couldn't give me a reason why it went "back to normal". So I took it home and they didn't bill me.  that was back in April of this year.  Now this month its acting up again.  I noticed the service bulletin when I was doing my own online research.  Saw that my software version was  V153, and saw they could update to V160.  So I took it in, but now my truck is at 53,000 miles and they won't look at anything electrical without charging me.  Even though I'm back for the same issue.  I don't know if it is this particular dealership, or if that's how every dealer is going to act.  Seems like I can't get anyone to look at it without it costing me something.

What's the best way to contact GM directly or Chevy Customer Care?  Seems like these "software updates" or bug fixes are something that I should be able to download at home and run an update. Super frustrating to get in your car and not have the radio work.  I'd put in an aftermarket radio, if someone made one that was compatible with my truck.  I'm not impressed with this current make and model.

1 hour ago, zburk15 said:

Battery is fine.  The first time I took it in was for this issue and i was under the 3/36 warranty.  They replaced the modules and everything was fine for almost another year.  Then the same symptoms showed up. So I took it back in.  They started troubleshooting it again, and started working like normal while they were troubleshooting it.  Couldn't give me a reason why it went "back to normal". So I took it home and they didn't bill me.  that was back in April of this year.  Now this month its acting up again.  I noticed the service bulletin when I was doing my own online research.  Saw that my software version was  V153, and saw they could update to V160.  So I took it in, but now my truck is at 53,000 miles and they won't look at anything electrical without charging me.  Even though I'm back for the same issue.  I don't know if it is this particular dealership, or if that's how every dealer is going to act.  Seems like I can't get anyone to look at it without it costing me something.

What's the best way to contact GM directly or Chevy Customer Care?  Seems like these "software updates" or bug fixes are something that I should be able to download at home and run an update. Super frustrating to get in your car and not have the radio work.  I'd put in an aftermarket radio, if someone made one that was compatible with my truck.  I'm not impressed with this current make and model.

They aren't troubleshooting, they're throwing money at it. Originally, it was GM's money. Now, it's yours. You need a case opened with Chevy, ESPECIALLY since the problem is persisting after they attempted to repair it under warranty.

800-222-1020

Had a good conversation with the dealer, who flat out told me this is a common issue, but GM has no real solution for them.  They issue service bulletins but use words like "anomaly" and "may fix".   The software update only fixes about 30% of the ones they update.  I got a GM case number, but they only seem to want to push me back to the dealer and don't offer me any other solutions.  And I'm also finding out that there are no after market options for my year and make of truck.  So I'm literally left with one option.  Pay the dealer to try and troubleshoot my truck, knowing that they may not be able to find a solution.  

3 hours ago, zburk15 said:

Had a good conversation with the dealer, who flat out told me this is a common issue, but GM has no real solution for them.  They issue service bulletins but use words like "anomaly" and "may fix".   The software update only fixes about 30% of the ones they update.  I got a GM case number, but they only seem to want to push me back to the dealer and don't offer me any other solutions.  And I'm also finding out that there are no after market options for my year and make of truck.  So I'm literally left with one option.  Pay the dealer to try and troubleshoot my truck, knowing that they may not be able to find a solution.  

if they had previously attempted to correct this under warranty and never resolved the issue, press that issue with GM Customer Care that you have been trying to work with the local dealership to correct the problem while under warranty and GM has yet to actually fix it. Make sure they know you are expecting THEM to cover the costs of repairs that of an ongoing issue that has never been resolved prior.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The GM Customer Care is not being responsive.  I've reached out 3 times in the last week, and gotten no response.  I've taken it to a different dealer than the first one in this thread.  They tried, but could not get the current hardware to respond.  Now they'll be replacing the control module for a little over $1,000.  This will be coming out of my pocket, since I have no other options (other than driving a 2021 car with no radio or phone connection).  So, I've asked them what are my options when I come back in less than a year from now with this same problem?  I feel like I've identified the common denominator to this issue I've had the last 3 years, but I'm not getting any adequate response. 

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/06/general-motors-releases-infotainment-fix-for-2021-chevy-buick-gmc-and-cadillac-models/

I found this today and find it frustrating that this has been an issue since 2021.  I'm also surprised there are not more of you out there with this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 2024 Chevy Silverado LT and I am having the same issue. It only has 3k miles. I brought it to the dealership and they did a system update. It happened again a few days later. I brought the truck back in and they couldn't replicate it. I picked the truck up and the screen went dark on my way home. Very frustrating that it is happening. I'm currently working with my dealership but they told me they notified GM and are waiting to hear back. Ive sent them photos and videos.

11 hours ago, zwickerj said:

I just bought a 2024 Chevy Silverado LT and I am having the same issue. It only has 3k miles. I brought it to the dealership and they did a system update. It happened again a few days later. I brought the truck back in and they couldn't replicate it. I picked the truck up and the screen went dark on my way home. Very frustrating that it is happening. I'm currently working with my dealership but they told me they notified GM and are waiting to hear back. Ive sent them photos and videos.

YOU should contact Chevy Customer Care and open a case. Explain the details to them, tell them you have already had a dealership look it, they can't replicate the problem, but it continues to occur. Ask them to assist the dealership in troubleshooting the problem. It seems that dealers just go by the presence (or lack thereof) of trouble codes and whether GM has published a service bulletin or not. They don't actively troubleshoot most of these kinds of problems without GM pushing them to do so (from what I can tell).

Get the case number then call the dealership. Let them know you opened a case so GM would be able to assist more directly and ask them when you could bring the truck in so they can work with GM to troubleshoot.

They have had blackout issues with their screens since they went to infotainment setups. The software and hardware they create is well ****** and that's the issue! Why have they not tried replacing the actual head unit?

4 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

They have had blackout issues with their screens since they went to infotainment setups. The software and hardware they create is well ****** and that's the issue! Why have they not tried replacing the actual head unit?

They know about the blackout screen they don't know how to fix it.

My 22 LTD High Country had this issue and that was one of the reasons I dumped it for a 23 High Country. 

On 1/31/2024 at 9:04 PM, zwickerj said:

That's disappointing to hear they're still cranking out new models with this same issue.  And I can tell you that GM customer care isn't going to do a damn thing with your case number, other than coordinating your appointment with the dealership.  Luckily yours is under warranty.  But one that expires, you'll be paying for all appointments and parts out of pocket. Not that I really had much before, but this issue is making GM lose credibility and trust with its consumer base. If they keep cranking out junk and unreliable hardware, then it's just a matter of time before they start losing more and more business.