New vehicle owners, be prepared for increased insurance rates.

I just found out vehicle manufactures are selling to insurance companies the vehicle info on how the vehicle is driven, like speeding, hard braking and such. So now rates are going be set accordingly. Also touch screens overseas are going away as of 2026. Wonder if that will follow over here. Seems Europe states it's a distraction to have a touch screen and going back to knobs and buttons. Time to go back to 2006 and older.

Hopefully cell phone carriers will not do the same thing, then it will not matter what vehicle you drive. 

The TRX/Hellcat/Demon owners are going to be hurting.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

My agent mentioned this was going to happen. I'm already using SF's little gizmo that couples to my phone to track my habits. Great for me since I've got 5 vehicles and don't drive many miles on any of them.

Fortunately all my vehicles are "dumb" enough that they'll get no info from them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, txab said:

My agent mentioned this was going to happen. I'm already using SF's little gizmo that couples to my phone to track my habits. Great for me since I've got 5 vehicles and don't drive many miles on any of them.

Fortunately all my vehicles are "dumb" enough that they'll get no info from them

I hate being tracked. You don’t need a tracker on your car. It’s already on your phone. If I’m on a lonely Texas back road where I can see forever. I want to be able to mat it to the speed limit without some tracker tattletale. My biggest deterrent on my daily drives is my gas mileage tracker. I never pass someone on a two lane Texas roadway at the speed limit. I’m gassing it until I’m passed. I’ve had no tickets since 1999. That was the first in 20 years. Never had an at fault accident. My last accident (someone ran a stop sign) was in 1982. My average mile per year until retirement was 50K miles per year. It dropped to 30 until this year. Now it will be around 10k. That’s enough information for the insurance company. One of my joys is I don’t need to buy a new vehicle anymore. Rebuilding, repainted or buying a clean old car is probably my future.

• Like 1

Just read that car makers are now telling insurance companies how we drive, like if we speed or brake hard, which means insurance rates could get personal. Also heard touch screens might be ditched in Europe because they're too distracting, and we might see knobs and buttons making a comeback. It's like we're stepping back in time! For anyone worried about how this might hit their wallet, especially with cars like the TRX or Hellcat, peeking at Ushealth Group reviews could give some clues on health insurance costs in the mix. Crazy times for car owners, huh?

Edited by rickrust

Open the MyChevrolet app. Select your vehicle from the drop-down in upper left. Tap your profile image in the upper right. Choose Settings. Tap "OnStar Smart Driver". Turn this off.

Go to this site: https://www.gm.com/consumer-privacy

Choose your state and submit all of the "remove my information" requests that apply. 

The issue is that OnStar claims they "may" sell your info and ultimately that SmartDriver ****** ends up dumping a ton of erroneous data about your driving habits into LexisNexis via OnStar. You then can end up with incredibly high premiums or no premiums at all (no insurance) because -GM- decides what is considered "hard" acceleration or braking (absolutely amazing how driving to the store in the Camaro shows up like I'm on a track event... and don't even THINK about having that enabled on the track).

• Like 1