Forum/truck Abbreviations And Slang

I didn't know anything about that. I was thinking GC was a brand. I had never heard of the "thin oil myth". IIRC, the oil weights/viscosity explanation was taught in Grade 9 auto shop. The 1st prefix before the W is the viscosity @ low temps & the suffix is the weight @ a higher temp. I'm sure you'll post what those temps are. I think the low test temp' is -25* F.

The link I posted goes to a website that explaines what GC is...Its Castrol Syntec the European Formula...made in germany

0w, 5w, 10w, etc.is not weight but an somewhat arbitrary rating based on the oil low temperature flow and pumping characteristics - SAE J300 (1999) Motor Oil Grades- Low Temperature Specifications. I say somewhat arbitrary in that an oil that meets the 0w standard can be rated 5w or 10w because of the myth that "W" means weight ( it means winter) and 95-99% of the folks that recommend/sale/change oil believe this myth. We'll all heard "I would not use a 0 weight oil in your car.".

http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm

http://www.ideas4ag-ed.com/uploads/3/7/0/4...l_viscosity.pdf

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.ph...8&Itemid=55

Edited by snakedoctor

because of the myth that "W" means weight ( it means winter) and 95-99% of the folks that recommend/sale/change oil believe this myth. We'll all heard "I would not use a 0 weight oil in your car".

Unbelievable!

:rolleyes:

Sorry if I missed it, but what is AFM?

"Actually, they do not get much worse mileage than your AFMless 5.3 powerplant, because you have a 4 speed transmission and 6.2 engines come with a 6 speed"

Active Fuel Management. Originally it was going to be called DoD Displacement On Demand, but changed upon introduction.

How it works:

Click

I wish people on here could take the time to refer to their truck(s) by the proper term. None of this NNBS nonsense. What are they going to call the K2XX? NNNBS :eek: (again).

See the first page of this thread. We retracted the NBS and NNBS designations already. It's also not allowed in the for sale forum and there's a sticky there.

When you see someone new, remind them we don't use those terms here. Unfortunately, there's a lot of other websites where they use those ridiculous terms and seem to refuse to change :(

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a another one, since we're seeing more and more of these lately:

GDI = Gasoline Direct Injection 

Get used to that one, since that's what all new cars have for a fueling system the past 5 or so years.

Here's a regional one - Massachusetts specifically, and only MA as far as I know:

RMV = Registry of Motor Vehicles (DMV in the 49 other states) 

• 4 years later...