HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Use a multimeter to detect which circuits come on with the turn of the key by checking voltage drop across the two fuse port terminals. Put it in DC voltage mode, aside from that a test light would work in the exact same setup.

It's worthwhile to have a cheap meter around for small mods and tests like this

I'll look into all this, I still have about a week, maybe a week and a half until my HIDs come in and until then I can't permanently mount the projectors since they aren't waterproof unless you have an HID installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I installed Kensun hids on my Silverado and when I have them on while driving, the voltage gauge is at 14, but when I turn them off, it drops to about 12.5 volts and the lights are off. I need some help....... Thanks

I installed Kensun hids on my Silverado and when I have them on while driving, the voltage gauge is at 14, but when I turn them off, it drops to about 12.5 volts and the lights are off. I need some help....... Thanks

Are you using a relay harness and/or capacitors?

In what sequence do you have them wired? (as in Stock output -> ? -> ? -> ? -> HID Bulbs)

Where exactly are you making voltage measurements?

Are you using a relay harness and/or capacitors?

In what sequence do you have them wired? (as in Stock output -> ? -> ? -> ? -> HID Bulbs)

Where exactly are you making voltage measurements?

I have the capacitors, but not a relay.

Running it directly to the stock wires. Will the relay correct it, is that my problem? Only when the lights are off, the volt gauge is at 12, but when I turn it on, the volts go back to 14.

Stock-»capacitor-»ballast

Thanks

I have the capacitors, but not a relay.

Running it directly to the stock wires. Will the relay correct it, is that my problem? Only when the lights are off, the volt gauge is at 12, but when I turn it on, the volts go back to 14.

Stock-»capacitor-»ballast

Thanks

You're saying the dash volt meter? I was thinking you were taking actual measurements. I'll have to see if my truck does anything similar.

The truck displaying 12v to 14v when running is normal.

SIGNIFICANT 'HID' REVELATIONS - IF CONSIDERING HID'S PLEASE READ:

As many of you know, HID's have been my thing on here and so I try to keep up and let everyone know about changes/problems/etc. Recently I've learned about big issues with DDM and Morimoto.

DDM

They changed their bulb and relay designs for the first time in over 5 years. They switched from a single input relay harness to a dual input, which is no biggie. Their bulb's bases now have factory sized tabs vs the older more universal ones, which means they'll now only fit in one way.. this should make installation easier. Unfortunately, one member reported getting a hot-spot focus in one headlight. His passenger side is good, so might just be a slightly off center/spec bulb and is easily replaced.

However, they did make a big "boo boo" on some of their bulb wiring extensions (the 6"-10" wire that comes with each bulb that include male and female plugs on opposite ends). On some they may have actually crossed the connection from one end to another. Not a huge problem, just something you should check before beginning installation. See attached diagram for the correct way they should look. If reversed, not a problem.. just means you'll need to flip that connection for normal install (dual input) or leave as is if your install requires a flipped connection (single input).

Morimoto

Looks like the Mori ballasts are no longer good with just the HD wiring harness. Not sure if Mori changed something in their design or GM changed something with the truck's electronics, but a member just installed and has the PWM buzzing and light shut-off issues. So from now on, I'd recommend all Mori buyers get the HID kit with the HD harness, and also purchase the "CAN-Bus" code eliminators!

post-34923-0-29634200-1397474857_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know how to tell if a HID bulb is blown? I tried hook up my kit today and the bulbs lit up for a fraction of a second and cut out, now the egg in the middle is extremely cloudy so don't know if they are blown or were wired wrong.

Just installed the "can-bus" on my morimoto kit, with the HD relays. Works perfect, no issues so far.

So for those ordering the morimoto kit from retrofit source, be sure to order the hd relay kit AND can-bus.

Took about 3-4 hours to install, but could probably do it now in 1.5 hours.

So far the difference is amazing, much better than stock lighting, especially on high beams.

What color bulbs

5000k. I thought they'd match the factory LED's, but they are actually a fair bit whiter. I'm happy with the color though, The light is almost identical to my wife's mercedes GL.

yzuny2yq.jpghezyru3a.jpga8e6a9uj.jpg

Projector housings came in today! Now I just got to find out how I want to mount them and in about a week and a half when my HIDs from DDM come in, I can do the final install and wire everything up! Let me know what y'all think about these. Also what do y'all think I should wire the rings to? I got the rings for the main purpose of helping to fill in the 4" hole created for the stock fogs. I'm thinking of trying to wire them to the DRLs, or should I just wire them to the fogs (but before HID ballast) so that they only come on with the fog light itself

Im thinking about doing the same exact thing to my truck. Id appreciate it if you would explain exactly how you are going to mount them and post lots of pics. Thanks for all of the help and information.

Projector housings came in today! Now I just got to find out how I want to mount them and in about a week and a half when my HIDs from DDM come in, I can do the final install and wire everything up! Let me know what y'all think about these. Also what do y'all think I should wire the rings to? I got the rings for the main purpose of helping to fill in the 4" hole created for the stock fogs. I'm thinking of trying to wire them to the DRLs, or should I just wire them to the fogs (but before HID ballast) so that they only come on with the fog light itself

Im thinking about doing the same exact thing to my truck. Id appreciate it if you would explain exactly how you are going to mount them and post lots of pics. Thanks for all of the help and information.

I am planning on documenting everything. I just got a thin sheet of aluminum the other day, I'm going to shape that to fit the hole left by the stock housing. But I'll document everything as it happens. I am currently waiting for the HIDs to come in so I can actually install the projectors since they are not waterproof unless you use an HID.

My HIDs are coming from DDMtuning. Ordered April 6, shippered April 8th, should be here in the next week or 2, which is annoying with how impatient I can get when waiting for things like this haha. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. I'm working on mounting options until the HIDs come in and then final installation can occur. Can't wait!

• Like 1