HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Looks great,

Did he gave you the RHD projectors.. because your beam cut off patern is backward.. You will blind the oncoming traffics.

Looks like I do have RHD Projectors. I talked to Phil about it and it seems like it was a mistake on TRS' end, they sent rhd projectors. I could send them back but honestly it's not worth the time and labor to swap them out again. I can just lower them a bit and it'll be all fine.

Maybe in a car with headlights 2' off the ground you'd notice a difference but due to the height of our trucks headlights the cutoff ceases to be effective 20' in front of the truck.

Look at Echavez's pic of lights on road and you can see what I mean. The projectors aren't spotlights, so regardless of which side traffic passes him, the cutoff isn't going to do anything.

My main point was his projectors as they are now are still "less blinding" than any standard reflector type headlights.

EChavez - when you have a chance, can you post a pic of headlights shining on wall that's about 50' away?

**Fastheadlights did offer to fix them for free - if you read above, EChavez is opting not to.

Yeah moto i'll try and get a better picture later tonight.

As far as the projectors go I do have the option to take them back and get the projectors corrected. Phil's a good guy he wouldn't just say better luck next time and leave it like that. Honestly though I've been driving around city and country these past couple nights and have been flashed one time, and I know why that was. My fogs, those are the ones that would bother some folks becuase they're stupid bright. I was flashed more with my old projectors and hid's than with these so to me they are fine.

I could send them back like I said but I really don't think it's worth the trouble, and I really don't want to be without my truck for another couple of weeks. Unless I'm getting flashed every other car then to me it's not an issue. They aren't up in anyones face as far as I can see, besides really slammed out honda's etc.

For those interested in the halos I did manage to get them wired up last night. I don't have any pics yet but I did take a short video. I'll get pics later tonight when it gets darker.

Edit* added video

Edited by EChavez

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge throughout this thread.

Going to be ordering a set of Morimotos since the stock headlights are so bad.

Want to get a good combination of adequate light (lower K is brighter?) and color match to the SLT LEDs. Understand that the 4500k is the closest match from DDM but was hoping for specific advice for the Morimotos.

Thanks in advance.

Those lights are looking great! Would it be possible to get some close up pictures of the headlight and maybe some of how the projectors are installed?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Yeah moto i'll try and get a better picture later tonight.

As far as the projectors go I do have the option to take them back and get the projectors corrected. Phil's a good guy he wouldn't just say better luck next time and leave it like that. Honestly though I've been driving around city and country these past couple nights and have been flashed one time, and I know why that was. My fogs, those are the ones that would bother some folks becuase they're stupid bright. I was flashed more with my old projectors and hid's than with these so to me they are fine.

I could send them back like I said but I really don't think it's worth the trouble, and I really don't want to be without my truck for another couple of weeks. Unless I'm getting flashed every other car then to me it's not an issue. They aren't up in anyones face as far as I can see, besides really slammed out honda's etc.

For those interested in the halos I did manage to get them wired up last night. I don't have any pics yet but I did take a short video. I'll get pics later tonight when it gets darker.

Edit* added video

Woah wait a second, are those oracle halos? Becuase I thought oracle just made two halos of a circle for the sierras and silverados K2 body. Not a full ring. Now I want some! Damn it Echavez haha.

Also I managed to get some progress tonight. I got my HIDs in. Here's how it went

They are DDM 55W 5000K 9006 with wire harness and I had error code eliminators/capacitors

At first everything went well, then, I went to test the bulbs. Oh dear God how much fun that was. I had 2, not 1, BUT 2 error code eliminators blow out some liquid, smoke, and give that really irritating smell that electronics only give off when they are done for. Got extremely aggravated. So I decided to give the HIDs a shot without the capacitor. They worked flawlessly. I decided I would test my auto headlights (although they were already in auto mode and working fine) but no matter how bright a light I shined on it, the twilight sensor would not be tricked into thinking it was daytime. So imma have to wait till morning to check on that, but I'm thinking all will be good. So I continued the installation, all went extremely well after the capacitor insident. I also left the truck run for approximately 10-15 minutes and the headlights stayed on, full power, no trouble, no flicker, they did nothing other than what they were supposed to do.

Oh and before anyone asks or if anyone wonders, I did have the capacitors wired properly, I wired them the other day and I checked them again tonight before installing by checking the diagram that moto posted in the first post in the thread.

My favorite things about these bulbs:

Bright but not blinding unless you are on the ground, like you gotta be in a slammed car just as like Echavez said about his lights

PERFECTLY, and I mean PERFECTLY MATCH THE LED DRLs. I like flipped out with joy that the bulb color matched the LED DRLs SO WELL. If they were even slightly off, my OCD would have driven me up the wall so far that I would've been in the clouds.

So overall, I am happy so far. Except with the capacitors, cause that was dumb that they blew. Would love to know why

egamete3.jpgqa6ububa.jpg

Honestly the bulb color compared to the LED DRLs in the picture does no justice. If you want to see what color my bulbs are, go look at the LEDs in your truck, if equipped, becuase chances are that they look the same color as my HIDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those lights are looking great! Would it be possible to get some close up pictures of the headlight and maybe some of how the projectors are installed?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Of mine?

Woah wait a second, are those oracle halos? Becuase I thought oracle just made two halos of a circle for the sierras and silverados K2 body. Not a full ring. Now I want some! Damn it Echavez haha.

Also I managed to get some progress tonight. I got my HIDs in. Here's how it went

They are DDM 55W 5000K 9006 with wire harness and I had error code eliminators/capacitors

At first everything went well, then, I went to test the bulbs. Oh dear God how much fun that was. I had 2, not 1, BUT 2 error code eliminators blow out some liquid, smoke, and give that really irritating smell that electronics only give off when they are done for. Got extremely aggravated. So I decided to give the HIDs a shot without the capacitor. They worked flawlessly. I decided I would test my auto headlights (although they were already in auto mode and working fine) but no matter how bright a light I shined on it, the twilight sensor would not be tricked into thinking it was daytime. So imma have to wait till morning to check on that, but I'm thinking all will be good. So I continued the installation, all went extremely well after the capacitor insident. I also left the truck run for approximately 10-15 minutes and the headlights stayed on, full power, no trouble, no flicker, they did nothing other than what they were supposed to do.

Oh and before anyone asks or if anyone wonders, I did have the capacitors wired properly, I wired them the other day and I checked them again tonight before installing by checking the diagram that moto posted in the first post in the thread.

My favorite things about these bulbs:

Bright but not blinding unless you are on the ground, like you gotta be in a slammed car just as like Echavez said about his lights

PERFECTLY, and I mean PERFECTLY MATCH THE LED DRLs. I like flipped out with joy that the bulb color matched the LED DRLs SO WELL. If they were even slightly off, my OCD would have driven me up the wall so far that I would've been in the clouds.

So overall, I am happy so far. Except with the capacitors, cause that was dumb that they blew. Would love to know why

Honestly the bulb color compared to the LED DRLs in the picture does no justice. If you want to see what color my bulbs are, go look at the LEDs in your truck, if equipped, becuase chances are that they look the same color as my HIDs

Thanks Mike! Your lights are looking good, those 5K's match the DRL's perfect. Really looks nice at night.

Yeah those are the Oracle halos. I had to order a special set from PlainAnSimple since he was the only person I could find that had a pair that would fit these trucks. I didn't want the halos oracle says they offer for the K2's. (the two piece)

Edit* here's a pic I took today of the halos.

33xygro.jpg

Edited by EChavez
  • Like 1

Of mine?

Thanks Mike! Your lights are looking good, those 5K's match the DRL's perfect. Really looks nice at night.

Yeah those are the Oracle halos. I had to order a special set from PlainAnSimple since he was the only person I could find that had a pair that would fit these trucks. I didn't want the halos oracle says they offer for the K2's. (the two piece)

Edit* here's a pic I took today of the halos.

33xygro.jpg

Thanks man. And damn that looks good. I've always been a lighting freak, but I have been able to keep it at a tasteful limit, not go all out and make it look like Mexican ricer sh*t. And yea I do NOT want the 2 piece kit. Hate how it looks. I have talked to the local oracle shop about 10 minutes from my house and they gave me an estimated turn around time of about 2-3 days if I got halos or projectors. But imma call them again and see about halos like that. It won't be right now that I could get them, gotta let the bank account revive after all my HID dealings. About $250 in right now haha with the projector stand alone fogs and 55W 5000K bulbs for both those and my headlights. I am not debating on actually turning the fog projectors and making them into an "oh sh*t I can't see" kind of light since those + my low beams are about as bright as a 40" off road bar single row (which is equivalent to about 20,000 lumens).

I gotta see if the local oracle shop will do halos like that for me. If not then they just lost business

Thanks man. And damn that looks good. I've always been a lighting freak, but I have been able to keep it at a tasteful limit, not go all out and make it look like Mexican ricer sh*t. And yea I do NOT want the 2 piece kit. Hate how it looks. I have talked to the local oracle shop about 10 minutes from my house and they gave me an estimated turn around time of about 2-3 days if I got halos or projectors. But imma call them again and see about halos like that. It won't be right now that I could get them, gotta let the bank account revive after all my HID dealings. About $250 in right now haha with the projector stand alone fogs and 55W 5000K bulbs for both those and my headlights. I am not debating on actually turning the fog projectors and making them into an "oh sh*t I can't see" kind of light since those + my low beams are about as bright as a 40" off road bar single row (which is equivalent to about 20,000 lumens).

I gotta see if the local oracle shop will do halos like that for me. If not then they just lost business

Thanks man, I liked how it turned out a lot. Lol yeah I understand these lights can get pretty damn expensive quick. You get lost in thinking about what you want done that you forget about the price sometimes. Some Projector fogs would be pretty sweet you'd probably one of the firsts, I haven't seen any done yet.

Yeah just show them the pic if you'd like I'm sure they can get a size that would fit into the fogs and projectors. I have 2.5" projectors but the stock Sierra's are 3". As long as they would fit around either it'll be fine.

Thanks for the info man. And yea I have some pics of the projectors early on in the installment process earlier in this thread. Right now I am finishing up painting them. This weekend after it dries I will look at possibly performing the final install. The only trouble is since they came with halos on them, I would just have to do the same color on the headlights. Unless I make the headlights color shift and leave the fogs as their own entity.

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge throughout this thread.

Going to be ordering a set of Morimotos since the stock headlights are so bad.

Want to get a good combination of adequate light (lower K is brighter?) and color match to the SLT LEDs. Understand that the 4500k is the closest match from DDM but was hoping for specific advice for the Morimotos.

Thanks in advance.

Technically, they're all the same "brightness" but the lower the color temp, the more light the human eye can utilize (your anatomy is the weak link, not the bulbs! ha). I didn't notice any difference from behind the wheel when I switched from 5000 to 4500K.

If you're trying to match the Sierra LED strips, 4300-4500K is the way to go.

Thanks for the info man. And yea I have some pics of the projectors early on in the installment process earlier in this thread. Right now I am finishing up painting them. This weekend after it dries I will look at possibly performing the final install. The only trouble is since they came with halos on them, I would just have to do the same color on the headlights. Unless I make the headlights color shift and leave the fogs as their own entity.

Sounds good, it'll look good when it's all done. If the halos are glued on I'm sure you can remove them and add some oracle's if that's the route you want to go. Personally I like all 4 halos instead of just two in the headlights but that's a personal preference. After all it's your truck do whatever makes you happy. That's the beauty of everyone modding their vehicles lol.

I have been talking to TRS, and they have been very helpful. For me, they suggested this for a complete package for my '14 SLT:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-mopar-low-beam.html#.U2Ori2dOVok

Double check that you'll be getting the HD Harness and the CAN-Bus.

In the link you posted, the drop down choices show HD Harness but further down it lists:

WHAT'S INCLUDED
Standard Equipment Includes the Following:
Ballasts Morimoto 3Five or 5Five DSP
Bulbs Morimoto H11, 9006, 9012
Wire Harness Morimoto Canbus Relay
Hardware Ballast brackets
Misc Alcohol bulb wipes, TRS Decal
Warranty Five Years for 3Five kits, Three years for 5Five kits

Just wanted to say that I have the Morimoto 3five 5,000K HIDs in the headlights and I think they are great. They are about 3X brighter than stock. I have had no problems with this kit, I've had it for about two months. I used a capacitor and the HD relay harness in the install.

I also have HMS 25w 3,000k HIDs for fog lights. They are super bright and are not blinding to oncoming traffic. I have not noticed any burning or melting yet. The color looks really cool at night blending with the 5,000k headlights. They also light up the road a lot better than stock for sure. The only problem I have with the HMS kit is that the 5202 HID bulbs do not snap into the housings as securely as the stock bulbs do. They will pull out with little force. I went around them with black RTV silicone. As I inspected the kit out of the box, i noticed that one of the bulbs had a wire pulled out. I had to Dremel through the bulb tab and solder the broken connection. The bulb flashes orange while heating up, but once heated, it looks the same as the other bulb. I have contacted HMS via email and its been a week with no response. As of now they are doing great. Ive had them in for about two weeks. Id just really like them to replace that one bulb.

Edited by mikeymaja