Adding aftermarket fog lights - want them on with headlights

Installed some aftermarket fog lights today and now looking at the wiring. I read where people had direct wired them into the under hood fuse block with a fuse tap. Most seemed to say they used the parking lights. Wouldn’t that make the fogs run all the time that the parking lights are on?

i want them to run when the headlights are on so I was thinking I’d do something similar but to the headlight fuse. 

Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Installed some aftermarket fog lights today and now looking at the wiring. I read where people had direct wired them into the under hood fuse block with a fuse tap. Most seemed to say they used the parking lights. Wouldn’t that make the fogs run all the time that the parking lights are on?

i want them to run when the headlights are on so I was thinking I’d do something similar but to the headlight fuse. 

Am I missing something?

Try looking into Boost Auto Parts

https://boostautoparts.com/collections/gm-lighting-and-accessories

2 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Cool.  Thanks man!

It really depends on the "after market" fog light kit, does it have OEM plugs and if so it will require OEM switch and BCM flash, then you can do the Boost Auto diode mode.  If it is just a simple after market fog light kit with just power, ground wires and on/off switch, then you are better off tapping the trigger switch to the parking light fuse which will turn on when the headlight is on.  The headlight fuse has power when the truck is on but the BCM and or cab switch controls whether the headlight turns on or off.  Headlight turns on only when parking light is on, so easier to fuse tap the parking light.  This is how I set mine up.

I have aftermarket with a cheesy switch that I’m not going to use. 

So…if I want them to turn on and off with the headlights I don’t want to wire them to the headlight fuse?

Do the parking lights come on with the headlights?

I don’t want then on all the time. Already have DRL’s. No need for the fogs to run in broad daylight. 

DRL’s are just that.  No parking lights, no tail lights etc.    If wiring into the headlight circuit, only use it as a signal for a relay to power the fog lights.  You may overload the headlight circuit and cause thermonuclear meltdown somewhere in the circuit if also powering the fog light. 

10 hours ago, RedLT said:

It really depends on the "after market" fog light kit, does it have OEM plugs and if so it will require OEM switch and BCM flash, then you can do the Boost Auto diode mode.  If it is just a simple after market fog light kit with just power, ground wires and on/off switch, then you are better off tapping the trigger switch to the parking light fuse which will turn on when the headlight is on.  The headlight fuse has power when the truck is on but the BCM and or cab switch controls whether the headlight turns on or off.  Headlight turns on only when parking light is on, so easier to fuse tap the parking light.  This is how I set mine up.

Incorrect. You DO NOT need the OEM switch and BCM flash to use the Boost Auto diode. I didn't want to pay the dealer $160 to flash the BCM in addition to the $230 I already paid for factory fog kit. I actually had a Fleece auto diode kit which is much nicer than the Boost part. I connected the input signal from the parking lights to the the fog light trigger wire under the dash at the BCM connector and they come on with the parking lights. They stay on with the high beams since the parking lights are always on when the lights are on.

With the aftermarket kit and the relay, you would wire the relay for power and ground and the signal wire would be to a tap on the headlight fuse under hood if you don't want to run a wire inside.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GETGONE said:

Incorrect. You DO NOT need the OEM switch and BCM flash to use the Boost Auto diode. I didn't want to pay the dealer $160 to flash the BCM in addition to the $230 I already paid for factory fog kit. I actually had a Fleece auto diode kit which is much nicer than the Boost part. I connected the input signal from the parking lights to the the fog light trigger wire under the dash at the BCM connector and they come on with the parking lights. They stay on with the high beams since the parking lights are always on when the lights are on.

With the aftermarket kit and the relay, you would wire the relay for power and ground and the signal wire would be to a tap on the headlight fuse under hood if you don't want to run a wire inside.

Sure, your installation method works as well.  If you're paying for a GM fog light set why not complete it so it works like OEM (clean OEM switch that can turn on/off at your leisure) and then do the mod you'd like to have them auto on however you like.  For my preference if I were to install OEM I would complete the setup as OEM, but if I went aftermarket non-OEM then  you have the freedom to install to your preference.

Because I don't have $160 and a half day to piss away with the dealer. The GM kit comes with the replacement light switch for the fogs. The problem is you have to turn them on EVERY time you turn the lights on or they come on automatically. That's super annoying so I just resolved the issue myself. Maybe eventually if I have extra time and money, I'll waste it getting it set up as intended. I thought the programming was included in the kit which is why it was so much. I couldn't find a clear answer on here or anywhere else until I went and asked the dealer.

So…stay with me. I’ll never claim to be great at electrical stuff. 

Fuse tapped one of the headlight fuses. 

4656E268-E947-4A72-8C8E-FE6BC939A213.jpeg.bf61a17405a49210ea9044d1d18f9cbb.jpeg

Problem is the fog lights seem to have constant power. So the fog lights are always on. As in always.  Head lights on or off, truck on or off. 
2507C28B-FACB-4012-94EE-02F401FDD226.jpeg.40f2a2bd1e6a88d72597dd82e82ccead.jpeg

What am I missing?  Help out the electrically clueless. 

Edited by AJMBLAZER