2008 Sierra 1500 Dash Cam Options

I am in the process of wiring in my dashcam to my 2008 Sierra 1500 SLT to only be on when the ignition is on. There are no ignition switch fuses in my drivers side fuse box so as I see it I have 2 options :

1). Use one of the ignition switch fuses on under hood fuse box. The ones I have found (according to the manual) are :

- Transmission Controls

- Airbag System

- Misc, Cruise Control

- Aux Climate Control

- Engine Control Module

Can I pick any of these to use as I am using a fuse tap? I was thinking Aux Climate Control.

2). Tap into the RAP relay used for the audio system. However I can't find the relay (not in the manual) and I'm not sure how to tap into this without cutting wires.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have included a photo of my (under hood) fuse box cover if that helps.

IMG_20210723_132545.jpg

Edited by Christopher Townsend

Go to the GM upfitter site and use the SEO/Upfitter location in the black box under the parking brake pedal. There are two RAP circuits there and several hot circuits. Add an inline fuse to your wiring. That is where my dashcam and backup camera are wired to in my 2010.

• 2 years later...
On 7/24/2021 at 7:42 AM, Ianf said:

Go to the GM upfitter site and use the SEO/Upfitter location in the black box under the parking brake pedal. There are two RAP circuits there and several hot circuits. Add an inline fuse to your wiring. That is where my dashcam and backup camera are wired to in my 2010.

Can you share some information? I'm not aware if this location. Any pictures, drawings, specs?

Thank you

The website is GMUPFITTER.COM and look for the electrical manual for your year and model. It also has pictures in the manual of the location of the SEO box and connectors.