2014+ Leveling Kits

FWIW guys I put the '16 magneride kit on my 17 Denali last night, everything fit perfect front & back. When I called RC to ask why the kit wouldn't work on a '17 all they would say is "the hardware doesn't fit"....clearly this is not the case. I work at a GMC dealership so I'll have the guys check it every now and then but it doesn't appear that the front end is sitting at any kind of weird angles, and the ride is awesome - zero noticeable difference from stock. Now my 275/65r20s are going on today!

Edited by frzrbrnbass
  • Like 1

FWIW guys I put the '16 magneride kit on my 17 Denali last night, everything fit perfect front & back. When I called RC to ask why the kit wouldn't work on a '17 all they would say is "the hardware doesn't fit"....clearly this is not the case. I work at a GMC dealership so I'll have the guys check it every now and then but it doesn't appear that the front end is sitting at any kind of weird angles, and the ride is awesome - zero noticeable difference from stock. Now my 275/65r20s are going on today!

This is what they said to me as well ! They said with the top spacer in that there is some issue with the electric power steering at full extension or something. Might bend the steering linkage ?

Was the top spacer plastic or metal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what they said to me as well ! They said with the top spacer in that there is some issue with the electric power steering at full extension or something. Might bend the steering linkage ?

The spacer was metal. I'll have the guys put it on the alignment rack today and take a look at everything, try to get some pictures at different steering angles too.

Ok, just got off the phone with Chuck @ rough country & finally got an answer that seems to make some sense.

The 2017's come with stamped steel control arms vs cast aluminum in the 16's. The stamped steel ones are larger than the cast ones.

To get the kit to work for a 17 we need to use a preload spacer rather than the top strut mount spacer to avoid the control arm hitting the steering linkage arm at full extension / full turn.

Using a preload spacer should maintain the stock geometry better than a top mount spacer which is why they chose this route I guess.

Although it isn't officially offered, he said if we call in they can sell you the 16 kit but swap the top spacer for a preload.

Now the question is, can we tear these Magneride struts apart without messing them up ?

This is the problem ... only change was the stamped control arms .. now they say you can't use the top spacer & they don't have a kit for the rear .. just 2" level kit for the front ... frustrating to say the least.

The spacer was metal. I'll have the guys put it on the alignment rack today and take a look at everything, try to get some pictures at different steering angles too.

Awesome !! Thanks man !! I kinda think RC haven't taken the time to see if it works on the 17 so they are just playing it safe and saying it doesn't

Ok, just got off the phone with Chuck @ rough country & finally got an answer that seems to make some sense.

The 2017's come with stamped steel control arms vs cast aluminum in the 16's. The stamped steel ones are larger than the cast ones.

To get the kit to work for a 17 we need to use a preload spacer rather than the top strut mount spacer to avoid the control arm hitting the steering linkage arm at full extension / full turn.

Using a preload spacer should maintain the stock geometry better than a top mount spacer which is why they chose this route I guess.

Although it isn't officially offered, he said if we call in they can sell you the 16 kit but swap the top spacer for a preload.

Now the question is, can we tear these Magneride struts apart without messing them up ?

What is wrong with this kit?

http://www.roughcountry.com/gmc-leveling-lift-kit-1311.html

Hardly seems worth taking risks with a $70K truck for the sake of an extra half-inch of lift. Use this one, which is approved for the '17 and call it good.

What is wrong with this kit?

http://www.roughcountry.com/gmc-leveling-lift-kit-1311.html

Hardly seems worth taking risks with a $70K truck for the sake of an extra half-inch of lift. Use this one, which is approved for the '17 and call it good.

That's just the front (level)

I want the whole thing up 2"

What I actually have done since I couldn't really find exactly what I wanted is,

I ordered the kit that you linked above, I also have a shop where i fabbed up some 3" blocks and bought some square u bolts.

I'm swapping the stock 1.25" block for a 3" which will give me 1.75" of lift in the rear & that kit you linked will give me 2" in the front which is perfect for me. I am making my own Magneride extension brackets ( if I still have issues with the ride quality I'm going to get the dealer to just "re-zero" the sensors at the new height and do away with the brackets.

Front went in after work last night and weather permitting rears will be done today.

02ee40dffce93aaccbc778f7c1b4fea7.jpg

Do they just press into the plastic fitting ?

I just found out that GM can do a magneride "zero" calibration (teaches the computer where normal ride height is) as another option.

I did cheesy brackets for now and they are working great ! Ride is perfect (just need to get alignment tomorrow)

I put the rough country 2" lift in the front & custom made my own blocks for the rear

Here's a photo of my custom made 3" block (gives 1.75" of lift)

de9c04f3427c720d28c168ddddd2407f.jpg

I didn't want a level I still wanted a little bit of rake.

Needs a wash but I'm very happy with it ! 0c6419607a41a0c049dc2d506c96020b.jpg

Do they just press into the plastic fitting ?

I just found out that GM can do a magneride "zero" calibration (teaches the computer where normal ride height is) as another option.

I did cheesy brackets for now and they are working great ! Ride is perfect (just need to get alignment tomorrow)

I put the rough country 2" lift in the front & custom made my own blocks for the rear

Here's a photo of my custom made 3" block (gives 1.75" of lift)

de9c04f3427c720d28c168ddddd2407f.jpg

I didn't want a level I still wanted a little bit of rake.

Needs a wash but I'm very happy with it ! 0c6419607a41a0c049dc2d506c96020b.jpg

stance looks great, now you just need to upgrade your tires to help fill the gap a bit! :)

b48270f3f3f7423290f2e49456e5fa02.jpg02499f667a05bf2c128ab87ca77b9ecc.jpg

Here's my '17 with a 2.5" front Motofab and a 3" block in the rear. Got a good little rake to it but damn it looks good!

Do you have any side pictures with the 2.5 front and 3.0 back ? I've got a DC with a 2.0 front and 2,0 block in back now and I have 2.0 of rake. I'm adding the top spacer for 2.5 and can't decide between 2.5 or 3.0 block in rear. 2.0 of rake seems to work well for towing. How much rake do you have on yours ? Thanks

Finally got some new tires after leveling. LT275/70/17 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38s.

Only pic I have on the phone right now. Top was original, middle is how it sits now, bottom was a little photoshop. Going to get tint next and I might paint the wheels a gunmetal color and wanted to see how it looked. Color match bumper would be nice too but my wife isn't going to sign off on that.

2aa615a10fda97f17a98816e88b1d3ac.jpg

That's good photo shopping, what program is that?