18" vs 20" Rims

The ride difference is negligible and I doubt anyone's ass is sensitive enough to tell the difference. If larger wheels caused such a decrease in ride quality then why would a luxury vehicle, like an escalade, come with 22s? As far as the capability argument I call BS. Like parks mentioned, it's all relative anyway when talking about sidewall...I got plenty of it despite my "ghetto" wheels. A truck with 20s and 33s can do the exact same things as a truck with 17s and 33s. The only downside to larger wheels in an Offroad situation would probably be rock crawling. Small wheels and white letters out should stay in the 90s.

Most people with 20's don't have 35's though... Like the member that has factory 20's that are scratched up now from going through mud. But you're right, 20's are fine for most peoples' uses.

Find me what I need to set up my truck with 35's and 20's for less than it costs for me to buy 4 sets of tires (that's 16 E rated tires) for my 17's and I'll be impressed. :lol:

Edited by kstruckcountry

Personally I think larger rims are just part of a bling over substance increasingly urban truck driver mentality and manufacturers who exploit that market for increased profits and reduced vehicle capability in the light-duty market.

Yes I can see a certain aesthetic appeal of larger wheels and tires. Maybe also a tiny improvement on the skidpad (because racetruck eh).

But that is about as far as the advantages go. In return as tires and wheels get larger and heavier you get poorer acceleration and fuel economy. And not just a little bit worse, significantly worse. Short and stiff sidewalls mean less ride comfort. Far more susceptible to road hazard damage. That would be the last thing I desire in a truck that is going to be used as a truck. Grip, braking performance, ride comfort, and steering feel all suffer from the additional unsprung weight - and unsprung weight is the worst kind of weight. You don't see performance cars with huge heavy wheels on them now do you? And I haven't even mentioned the added upfront cost. And it's a cost that keeps on adding with every tire replacement and every fuel fill.

You may not see performance cars w/ HEAVY wheels but you most certainly see them w/ larger wheels. 18" is for a Camry w/ the sport package- find me a Camaro or Vette or Porsche with anything less than 19"s

The 20" rim w/ a 55mm sidewall is a better choice for someone who is going to use their truck for on the road driving 80-90% of the time and most people do. If you're talking about serious off-roading then outfit a 20" rim w/ the same height tire as an 18= more ground clearance.

Like I said I do agree 22" or more is a bit much, but if you're looking for a legit off road truck why buy a base model and outfit it legit or get something else

I don't know what the additional weight of of a 20" wheel and tire is but I can assure you GM did not spend a lot of money manufacturing special low weight large rims. And tires weigh far less than rims. And unsprung weight is something a number of you need to do some research on - it has a serious impact on acceleration, fuel economy and overall handling. And there is a reduction in carrying capacity with low profile tires, that's why heavy duty trucks come with 17" wheels and only 17" wheels. And why a maximum towing package for light-duty trucks comes only with 18" wheels.

I've got no problems with the bling folks. I find it unfortunate that I will likely have to buy large rims because they are packaged with high-end trim line options (other than with a maximum towing package). And because paying extra to effectively cripple a new truck is not something a rational person should do.

Edited by Derodeo

You could get an HD with factory 20's starting in 2009 if I remember right. :lol:

Tire weight has little effect on mpg. Once something is in motion it remains in motion. Been more than a few years since Newton figured that out. Overall diameter does affect mpg.

Edited by kstruckcountry
  • Like 1

I don't know what the additional weight of of a 20" wheel and tire is but I can assure you GM did not spend a lot of money manufacturing special low weight large rims. And tires weigh far less than rims. And unsprung weight is something a number of you need to do some research on - it has a serious impact on acceleration, fuel economy and overall handling. And there is a reduction in carrying capacity with low profile tires, that's why heavy duty trucks come with 17" wheels and only 17" wheels. And why a maximum towing package for light-duty trucks comes only with 18" wheels.

I've got no problems with the bling folks. I find it unfortunate that I will likely have to buy large rims because they are packaged with high-end trim line options (other than with a maximum towing package). And because paying extra to effectively cripple a new truck is not something a rational person should do.

Tell me more about how HD's ONLY come with 17s.

Most people with 20's don't have 35's though... Like the member that has factory 20's that are scratched up now from going through mud. But you're right, 20's are fine for most peoples' uses.

Find me what I need to set up my truck with 35's and 20's for less than it costs for me to buy 4 sets of tires (that's 16 E rated tires) for my 17's and I'll be impressed. :lol:

Craigslist bro. And I has 37s. :smoker:

• Like 2

i just bought a 2014 2500 with 20 inch rims.. GM started offering the 20's on the HD's in 11'. and i know the smaller middle trim package rim on the 2500/3500 is an 18' rim. not sure if the WT steelies are 17 or 18

• 2 weeks later...

20's look better IMO. as for the ride difference, it more depends on the type of tire. I have the factory 6 spoke aluminum 17's on my truck(for the next week). I upgraded from the stock P265/70/17 wranglers to some LT295/70/17 nitto trail grapplers and since they're some heavy LT's my ride went to shit. not to mention mileage dropped 3mpg.

new rims on order are strada monster m06's 20x9 0offset with some P275/55/20 toyo open country at2's. i'm sure they'll be a smoother ride. looking to gain some mpgs too

I'd like to see a study where people are made to drive a range of vehicles with 18" and 20" wheels and pick the wheel size based on the ride without prior knowledge of the diameter. Show some consistency there and I'd be willing to buy into the fact that there's a detectable difference.

I'd like to see a study where people are made to drive a range of vehicles with 18" and 20" wheels and pick the wheel size based on the ride without prior knowledge of the diameter. Show some consistency there and I'd be willing to buy into the fact that there's a detectable difference.

I would expect that GM selected tires for both 18" and 20" wheels that offered comparable ride quality, especially in the 1/2 ton trucks. As far as tire diameters, I've been looking at tires and wheels in both sizes for my '08 Silverado Extended cab 4x4. So far I've looked at Goodrich, Goodyear, Continental, Michelin, and Bridgestone.

I have found that there is really not much more than a 1/2" difference in tire diameter when comparing the two optional tire sizes of P265/65-18 and P275/55-20 in '08.

Another thing I noticed with the stock size 20" tire is that the max load ratings for 20" tires are all over the place compared to the 18" tire. Some tires will be as much as 500 lbs more, some are 200 lbs less. :confused:

The OEM Bridgestone tires on my truck have 50K on them now and I expect to be replacing them by early spring 2014.