Backup camera upgradable?

kelub

When we bought my wife's 14 Traverse in June, I was blown away at the quality of the backup camera. The image is so crisp and clear. The 14 Silverado... well, it's like comparing SDTV to HDTV. I know the screen itself is a good resolution, so I can only assume the camera itself is a lower resolution than the Traverse. When we bought the Traverse I test drove a Silverado, and while my truck was getting detailed right after purchase I had a Sierra as a loaner - both had the same camera, so I know it's not just mine. Why would GM use different parts for something like that? I'm curious if anyone knows whether or not the camera can be swapped with another GM camera from another vehicle - i.e. order the Traverse backup camera part and swap it out.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE having a backup camera, period. But when backing up in low light conditions or when the sun is shining in it, it'd be nice to have that higher resolution. My truck (for whatever reason) didn't come with the sensors, so I don't have any auditory feedback when I'm close to things; having a clear image would be especially helpful in the parking garage at work or backing out of the garage at night. I don't know that it's actually worth doing (depending on the cost of the camera), just curious if anyone knows if it's possible.

One thing that comes to mind as far as swapping a GM camera for a GM camera is how they mount. The mount on a Traverse camera may be different than one on the Silverado.

As far as low light, have you considered a brighter reverse light bulb or adding some sort of extra reverse light? That would help alot.

One thing that comes to mind as far as swapping a GM camera for a GM camera is how they mount. The mount on a Traverse camera may be different than one on the Silverado.

As far as low light, have you considered a brighter reverse light bulb or adding some sort of extra reverse light? That would help alot.

On my 2011 the brake/parking lights provide 95% of the lighting. Even with my absurdly bright LED reverse lights they make just a slight difference on camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Late getting back to my own thread...

The problem isn't really lighting. It's simply quality of the optics. The resolution with the Silverado camera is so bad it can be almost worthless if there's a light (or the sun) shining directly at the camera. No such problem on the Traverse camera.

The camera itself looks like it's the same size as the Traverse one, but I can't tell for sure. Maybe when I find myself with extra money I don't know what to do with (ha!) I'll buy a replacement camera for the Traverse and see if I can't swap it out with the one in the Silverado. If I'm successful I'll recessitate my thread and update it with the results.

They absolutely use the same camera. Only differences are in trim and such.

Can someone with a silverado attempt to take a picture? Ill submit a Sierra version tomorrow after i pick mine up. The 2014 is the first year they are mounted in the tailgate handle, correct?

I have been a man time over Yukon owner and I can tell you the image is awesome like you can see pebbles on the ground.

Yeah I want to park the Silverado and the Traverse side-by-side and take pictures of the camera image to compare the two when looking at the exact same thing. I'll try to do that soon.

Idk, if they use the same camera in the Silverado and Sierra, But I find the camera in my sierra to be very clear and very high quality video.

While I was waiting for them to finish up the detailing etc on my Silverado (which was on a rainy day, so that was a bit of a waste) they gave me a Sierra to drive for a few hours. The camera looked the same to me. It wasn't an SLT model, but I don't think they use a different camera for the different trims; besides, my truck is an LTZ, so if there's a better camera to be had, I'd better have it... ;)

I'd say try it if you have the means. I don't know if the software will recognise the higher bandwidth though.

It may not. It'll be awhile before I can attempt something that frivolous. I'd say I could take apart my wife's Traverse and try hers, but I'd like to not piss her off if at all possible, and arbitrarily disassembling her new car isn't likely to encourage her to be happy. Maybe in a couple of months I can scour some junk yards or something (as opposed to buying the part new from GM.)

believe the cameras are the same but the lens on the trucks is a different angle to see bumper for hitch and behind you, a trade-off to do both. At night with lights your backing toward on blacktop driveway pretty much useless, but hooking up the trailer great. I use the mirrors pretty much as I back in all the time so its not big deal. Would rather have the trailer hookup views than better backing view.