2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

2 minutes ago, drentlaw1 said:

Needing some advice on lowering my pickup. This will be my first time lowering a vehicle. From the research I've done I think I want to do 3/5. I've been looking at different kits and found the Mcgaughys #34170 Adjustable Drop Kit. Looks pretty decent, but I have no idea. I like that if I would want to go lower I could. Any input would be great. This is the link that I found for the kit.https://reklez.com/collections/2007-2017-gm-trucks-drop-kits/products/gmc-sierra-1500-2014-2016-3-5-4-6-drop-kit

2014 Silverado High Country 4wd 

Any info or input for a newbie would be awesome. Thanks

IMG_20171028_135452674_HDR.jpg

Make sure it fits 4wd but I have the mcg kit and love it

Needing some advice on lowering my pickup. This will be my first time lowering a vehicle. From the research I've done I think I want to do 3/5. I've been looking at different kits and found the Mcgaughys #34170 Adjustable Drop Kit. Looks pretty decent, but I have no idea. I like that if I would want to go lower I could. Any input would be great. This is the link that I found for the kit.https://reklez.com/collections/2007-2017-gm-trucks-drop-kits/products/gmc-sierra-1500-2014-2016-3-5-4-6-drop-kit
IMG_20171028_135452674_HDR.thumb.jpg.5e839b0ccf409ab12b57b97f479eb2cf.jpg
Those spindles won't fit a 4x4. You would need to buy their 4x4 specific spindles (34204) which also come with upper control arms. Also, I don't know about their lowering struts for the front, but the spring cups like kit #34160 uses will not fit with lowering spindles. I used the spindles and 2" springs up front to and a flip kit in the rear to give e me a 4/6.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, lovelessjl said:

Those spindles won't fit a 4x4. You would need to buy their 4x4 specific spindles (34204) which also come with upper control arms. Also, I don't know about their lowering struts for the front, but the spring cups like kit #34160 uses will not fit with lowering spindles. I used the spindles and 2" springs up front to and a flip kit in the rear to give e me a 4/6.

I've read some reviews of people running this kit on 4wd and this site claims you can run it on a 4wd. May be a dumb question but what is the difference in spindles between 4wd and 2wd?

Screenshot_20180406-144921.png

11 hours ago, drentlaw1 said:

I went with Belltech stuff.  You can use their drop shocks  with their drop spindles and you don't need the expensive upper control arms.  I will probably have to use some offset bushings to get the camber is spec though,  but 70 bucks is better than the extra 800 for the arms. Also, get the the correct length shocks instead of shock extenders.   

• Like 1

I've read some reviews of people running this kit on 4wd and this site claims you can run it on a 4wd. May be a dumb question but what is the difference in spindles between 4wd and 2wd?
Screenshot_20180406-144921.thumb.png.d5ff17671a1ab010b46d033f1672caa6.png
The spindles on the 4x4 version have recessed pockets for the ball joint nut so that it clears the cv axle. Qwank has the belltech spindles and they have a different design but both spindles require you to trim the balljoint stud even with the nut. Here's a pic of mine so you can see what I'm talking about. 60a7ea950a9b5220d07d699572a3eaca.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drentlaw1 said:

Do you have cast iron or aluminum lower control arms?  It matters for which parts you can use. Lovelessjl and I have stamped steel, but those didn't show up until late '16 

25 minutes ago, qwank said:

Do you have cast iron or aluminum lower control arms?  It matters for which parts you can use. Lovelessjl and I have stamped steel, but those didn't show up until late '16 

I have the cast steel. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 9:31 PM, qwank said:

Bell tech drop spindles now in. I'm also using drop struts at the 2'' setting. 

Clearly you have a 4x4. Can you give me details about what all you are using besides the spindles?

What year is your truck?

Rear flip kit? 

What size wheels? 

Im researching drop kits for my 2018 4x4 and think your about the drop I want. 

I wont know if they are cast steal or not till I pick the truck up next week.

Thanks for any help. 

Edited by frenchsquared

7 hours ago, frenchsquared said:

Clearly you have a 4x4. Can you give me details about what all you are using besides the spindles?

What year is your truck?

Rear flip kit? 

What size wheels? 

Im researching drop kits for my 2018 4x4 and think your about the drop I want. 

I wont know if they are cast steal or not till I pick the truck up next week.

Thanks for any help. 

I have a 2017.  All the same parts should fit your '18.  It should have the stamped steel arms like mine does. 

For the front I have:  

25004 lowering struts set a 2'' drop 

2514 drop spindles. 

I am going to have to buy the 4957 offset bushing kit to correct my camber.  I just haven't done it yet. 

for the rear I have:

6525 Flip kit

2210FF shocks

• Like 1

I added this same post to my build thread

So when I originally put the flip kit in I had the rear hangers set at the 6'' position and used my 2'' drop shackles to raise it back up to 5''.  I decided 5'' was low enough in the rear and wanted to to get the drop shackles replaced with the stock shackles, so  lowered the hanger to the 5'' spot and put the factory shackle back in.  

Now it in theory it shouldn't have changed the rear drop, since both were set to 5'', but I feel like the truck is sitting an inch higher in not only the back, but also the front now.  I'm pretty sure it's only in my head, and I measured from floor to fender and I'm 34'' front and 35'' rear,  and I could have sworn I was 33"/34" last week.  

Either I'm going crazy or now I want it lower, But the front seems awfully high now.  I'll take it out tomorrow and take another side shot pic in the same spot in my driveway as I previously did.  

Here's how it sits now:

truckcargarage.thumb.jpg.7a3f333d28c34d95911235829981f722.jpg

Edited by qwank
  • Thanks 1

I guess it's all in my head, It seems to be the same.  I made sure to tilt the camera up this time so it didn't look like I was going uphill. 

trucksun.thumb.JPG.40e8ac7c69c6eb62f13ee7cc5cfde783.JPGtrucck2.thumb.jpg.3dc0386046a59e20456a3b8adc1dd58c.jpg

Edited by qwank

39 minutes ago, qwank said:

I guess it's all in my head, It seems to be the same.  I made sure to tilt the camera up this time so it didn't look like I was going uphill. 

trucksun.thumb.JPG.40e8ac7c69c6eb62f13ee7cc5cfde783.JPGtrucck2.thumb.jpg.3dc0386046a59e20456a3b8adc1dd58c.jpg

3/5?    Front looks like 4

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nasty said:

3/5?    Front looks like 4

it should be 4, but it only dropped an inch after I installed the spindles according to my measurements,  but they could be wrong.  only matters what it looks like I guess.