What have you done to your K2 today?

10 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

I wonder if its easy to swap the pulleys or even possible.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I don't know if the shaft is different on them or not, I just made sure I bought one with the same style pulley and slapped it in

• Like 1

I had problems with mine cutting out anytime i turned mine up. I’m running a JL HD 600/4 and 750//1 on a stock alternator and battery. About 4 months ago I unplugged the regulated voltage control and have not had any issues at all since then. I no longer have the fluctuating voltage, just a constant 14.
Are you talking about the plug on the back of the alternator?

I don't know if the shaft is different on them or not, I just made sure I bought one with the same style pulley and slapped it in
Nice! This is on my to do list after I get 2 batts in there. Likely will get an inverter to power tools here and there so it would help tremendously.

1 minute ago, Snowcamo said:

Are you talking about the plug on the back of the alternator?

no he's talking about the voltage control, if you look on your ground cable coming off of the battery about 6" down there is a black ring clipped on with a wire harness clipped to it, you can disconnect it and the voltage should default to 14+ all the time, I didn't really make any difference on my 2012 so I just left it on

• Like 1

it wont hurt anything to disconnect it and it shouldn't throw any check engine light, but a dealer level scanner will pick it up as a trouble code (bcm code) like a gds2 scanner will see it is disconnected

• Like 1

no he's talking about the voltage control, if you look on your ground cable coming off of the battery about 6" down there is a black ring clipped on with a wire harness clipped to it, you can disconnect it and the voltage should default to 14+ all the time, I didn't really make any difference on my 2012 so I just left it on
Ah I thought it was just an amp clamp, but now its mentioned that totally makes sense. I was thinking it might set off a check engine light. Idk.

3 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Ah I thought it was just an amp clamp, but now its mentioned that totally makes sense. I was thinking it might set off a check engine light. Idk.

it is a amp clamp, the bcm monitors it and then controls the voltage output from the alternator accordingly, it's all digital, you can completely disable the digital system and go old school but it will always have a check engine light if you do by cel I mean it will say "service charging system" and wont go away

Edited by doubeleive

it is a amp clamp, the bcm monitors it and then controls the voltage output from the alternator accordingly

Right on! Makes sense. Seems simple enough. Good to know the system will just default to 14v. Im totally fine with that. I always assumed the system monitored/ regulated voltage via the plug on the alternator.

Ok well I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Hope it helps out.

3 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Right on! Makes sense. Seems simple enough. Good to know the system will just default to 14v. Im totally fine with that. I always assumed the system monitored/ regulated voltage via the plug on the alternator.

Ok well I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. Hope it helps out.

the 2 pin alternators are digital, controlled by the bcm, they will change the charging state to maintain the battery and supposedly give better fuel economy (so they say, i think it's b.s.), when that amp clamp is disconnected it forces the system into default charging mode because it can't figure out what to do so it just goes into a safe mode I guess 

Edited by doubeleive
  • Like 1

the 2 pin alternators are digital, controlled by the bcm, they will change the charging state to maintain the battery and supposedly give better fuel economy (so they say, i think it's b.s.) 
Ok this is what I've been missing. That being said they are not like the old CS series where one wire can be run to the batt+ to monitor and regulate voltage.

10 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Ok this is what I've been missing. That being said they are not like the old CS series where one wire can be run to the batt+ to monitor and regulate voltage.

correct, you can put a old alternator on and wire it up if you really wanted to, you would just have to deal with the error message all the time because the system would be looking for the digital signal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PAPER said:

Do these box's fit with the rubber

All-Weather Floor Liners

SOME OF US HAVE IN ARE TRUCKS ???

Not a clue my friend.. there might be info on the website. Truckbass.com I mean how tall is the liner? 1/4? This isn’t my truck but this is the same enclosure under a ‘17 crew so you can kinda see the fitment.34DA1D5F-FAF0-45B2-A232-2A0FF4B4501A.thumb.jpeg.63ad4cff967c77c4b6789042dce1469c.jpegCDA73711-904C-4070-BB6E-4DE68F0ADC80.thumb.jpeg.c02bc36126320a90a76f72e5362ef1b7.jpeg

• Like 1

correct, you can put a old alternator on and wire it up if you really wanted to, you would just have to deal with the error message all the time because the system would be looking for the digital signal
Ok cool deal. Man I hope this goes well. I've not been able to full tilt for sometime now. Sucks...

19 minutes ago, CovetedStyle said:

Not a clue my friend.. there might be info on the website. Truckbass.com I mean how tall is the liner? 1/4? This isn’t my truck but this is the same enclosure under a ‘17 crew so you can kinda see the fitment.34DA1D5F-FAF0-45B2-A232-2A0FF4B4501A.thumb.jpeg.63ad4cff967c77c4b6789042dce1469c.jpegCDA73711-904C-4070-BB6E-4DE68F0ADC80.thumb.jpeg.c02bc36126320a90a76f72e5362ef1b7.jpeg

Thanks for the reply , I'll check the site when I have a minute ...

Well I couldn't wait and gave the "unplugging" a shot this morning. Went on a hour long ride. Charge stayed at 15.23-15.27 the entire time. Not sure if thats due to the walmart group48 batt or not, but idk if due to the conditions that I will leave it unplugged.

• Like 1