Scratches in bed.. dealer offered spray in bedliner

I had my truck in for the 14008 recall yesterday. While the dealer had the vehicle, it was supposed to make a trip to the body shop for some scratches in the bed to be wet sanded and polished out. I picked up my truck to find that service dropped the ball and never did anything about the scratches. The salesman took the truck to the body shop immediately, but they decided that the scratches likely won't all come out, and there wasn't anywhere there who could work on it while I waited. The salesman offered me a spray-in bedliner from some 3rd party. I hadn't heard of the name of the product, nor the name of the company who they planned to sub it out to (wasn't Rhino or Line-x).

While I was at the dealer, I was also picking up a Bed Rug they ordered for me. I've already paid for it.

I'm considering taking the dealer up on their offer for the spray-in liner and using the Bed Rug over it. The Bed Rug doesn't have a soft underside, so I think it's likely going to scratch my bed anyway. The last offer from the dealer was for them to come pick up my truck next week, polish the scratches (they said some won't come out) and return it to me. I'm not crazy about having a porter spend an hour in my truck. What would you do?

Just make sure to see an example of what they will spray on. Once it's there, if you don't like it, good luck getting it off. There is a wide range of look, feel, grit, for spray/roll on liners.

If you like the end product, I say go for it! :cheers:

Get the free spray in and then put your bed rug in on top.

This is what I was considering. I just don't like the semi-permanent nature of the spray-in liner. My worst fear is that the person applying it (or prepping it) has a bad day and causes me an even bigger problem.

I guess my reading comprehension isn't as good as others... Where did he say "free" liner?

I think you're freaking out over a couple of small scratches. Put the bed rug in and forget about the scratches. Nobody cares if there are a couple of scratches in your truck's bed. That's what it's for.

I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill. This is a simple issue that would have taken a detailer or painter an hour to fix. That's hardly a mountain. I even told them that touch-up paint would be fine for the scratches that didn't come out. If I bought a $40k Camaro, you can bet your ass that I wouldn't have accepted touch-up paint for dealer-applied scratches.

The fact that the spray-in liner isn't Line-x or Rhino and would be applied by some (potentially) fly-by-night 3rd party isn't a concern? Having them apply a crappy product or with crappy prep work leaves me with an even bigger problem.

I too would not want a brand new vehicle with scratches, be it in the bed or not. I want to be the one that caused those scratches after I've had a chance to enjoy my vehicle scratch free during that new feel good period.

I had a dealer install a 3rd party spray in liner for me as part of the negotiation back in 09'. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as nice as a Line-X. In all I was happy with it.

I'd suggest as somebody else did, requesting to see a finished product so you can decide if that's what you want in lieu of them fixing the scratches.

If you want a bed rug, just put that in. I think it is recommended not to put them on top of a liner, it won't fit right. They sell the bedrug mat for putting on top of a liner. If you feel you are owed something for the scratches, I would try and get touch up paint and some of the bed rug cost out of them. I wouldn't trust the no-name spray in liner.

Archived