To change oil or wait?

It's been one year since my first oil change on my 2013 6.2 Silverado. I've put 2600 miles on this oil. The oil indicator reads 66%. My owners manual says change the oil at one year regardless of mileage. Oil looks clean on the dip stick. Am I wasting my money changing now? Does GM know best?

I would change it.....I change mine once a year in my 2011 Camaro,and I don't put 3,000 miles on it in a year,the first time I changed it with 800 miles on it,then again with 2,600 miles on it,and again with 4,500 miles,I currently have 5,750 miles on it now,so I'll do it again towards the end of this summer.

I have 48,000 miles on my truck,and usually end up changing the oil in it twice a year.

I agree, probably best to go ahead and change it. I have just over 4500 miles on the truck. I changed the oil first time at 1900, thus the 2600 on this oil change.

I know there are a lot of opinions on when to change. But probably best to follow GMs recommendation. Thanks guys!

Definitely on a new motor. You are still breaking it in, lots more little metal stuff in the oil. You want that crap out. You are not wasting your money you are breaking your motor in nice. You will get it back in the end.

. Drive that 6.2! :)

I also have a 2012 Z06 that I drive and really bang it!

It's not the cost of the oil and filter but more the environment and work involved. Not a youngster anymore and I won't let a dealer touch my vehicles if I can avoid it. Had some less than good experiences at not only dealers but also with mechanics.

It's not the cost of the oil and filter but more the environment and work involved.

I'm glad to see someone else think about this besides me. Maybe it comes from being older. I see a lot of threads where guys are changing their oil at 500 miles for break-in and and then still changing it every 3,000 miles on semi-sythetic which is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary. I've owned a new vehicle every 2 years for the last 16 years now and have never changed break-in oil and have gone 5,000 miles on conventional before oil changes, 7,500 on semi-synthetic and 10,000 on full synthetic. And you know what happened to all of those engines? NOTHING. Not a single one needed servicing for anything engine related. This is on many different brands as well, Ford, Toyota, Jeep, Mazda, etc. I guess when we finally run out of oil is when everyone will stop taking it for granted and actually follow the manufacturer's recommendations on when to change it. But until then, they'll pretend it's an infinite resource.

I can tell you from 18 years of experience in the military that oil tends to break down even if not being used. Plus the problems of condensation getting in. I'd being changing it to make sure your oil stays good. It may sound ridiculous but all too often I've seen engines that needed some serious work if not replacement from sitting too long with old oil.

If you are using a 100% synthetic oil, you can go a couple of years on your oil change.

Sara (2001 Z28 38K original miles) is a garage queen. I use Mobil 1 10W-30 pure synthetic oil. After 1 year, the oil is still "honey colored" and does not feel gritty to the touch. At the 2 year mark (usually 5600 miles later), I change both the oil and filter. Condensation does not proliferate synthetic oil, it sits on top of it, and is blown out of the exhaust when you operate the vehicle.

If you are using any kind of "dino oil", you should change the oil at least once a year, for the oil gets proliferated with condensation from sitting.

JMHO

I run 100% synthetic 5W-30 Mobil 1 Dexos as recommended by GM.

Incidentally, with the 2014 Silverado GM recommends 0W-20 Mobile 1, Dexos. I wonder if there are actual changes to the engine tolerances, or whatever in the 2014? What is different that it can run the thinner oil?

Archived