2014 Alarm goes off with key

I have a 2014 sierra double cab sle with the z71 package. This is my first vehicle with power locks, and I am use to just unlocking the door with the key instead of using the key fob. When I unlock the door with the key manually the alarm goes off until I crank the truck. Does anyone know how to prevent this? I had to convince a security guard leaving church the other day that I was not stealing my truck! I was in a coat and tie with my Bible in hand and Barney Fife thought I was stealing my own truck! I guess that's a good cover though... ha.

I guess I need to add my alarm is the factory alarm.

My 08 does the same. Best of my memory, unless you push down the actual locks at the top of the door panels manually, the alarm will sound if you unlock the truck using the key. In other words, if you lock the truck using the power door lock button on the armrest or using the key fob, the alarm will sound when trying to get back in unless you unlock the truck using the keyless fob. Hopefully I explained that clearly.

My 08 does the same. Best of my memory, unless you push down the actual locks at the top of the door panels manually, the alarm will sound if you unlock the truck using the key. In other words, if you lock the truck using the power door lock button on the armrest or using the key fob, the alarm will sound when trying to get back in unless you unlock the truck using the keyless fob. Hopefully I explained that clearly.

Yes, you did a good job.

Jfw1288, you basically armed the alarm (whichever way you locked it) and the typical way to disarm it is with the kry fob, not the key.

That makes no sense to me. With all the technology in these trucks you would think the key wouldn't set the alarm off. I know 99.9% of the time people don't manually unlock their truck but this seems like such an easy fix. What if the key fob battery dies?

..What if the key fob battery dies?...

In that case you open the door with your key, jump in and start the truck.

Then you drive to the next grocery store and buy a new battery.

Usually the fob will start acting up long before the battery is totally dead.

When you have to stay beside your truck to remotely unlock the doors it is time to change the battery.

so long

j-ten-ner

Why would you want to use the key manually instead of the fob to unlock your doors?

The fob is easier. And you won't add scratches around the lock trying to unlock it manually.

I still wish these trucks had push button start to remove need altogether for ever using the key...

I wouldn't carry my key fob if I didn't have too. I don't like the bulk in my pocket and I have always used the key to open the door anyway. I know most of the time it is easier to use the fob, but for the amount of technology in these trucks and the key can't open door with out the alarm sounding??? I don't know what it cost but I know its in the $100 range for a key and it can't open the door with out the alarm sounding?

I wouldn't carry my key fob if I didn't have too. I don't like the bulk in my pocket and I have always used the key to open the door anyway. I know most of the time it is easier to use the fob, but for the amount of technology in these trucks and the key can't open door with out the alarm sounding??? I don't know what it cost but I know its in the $100 range for a key and it can't open the door with out the alarm sounding?

That's what the manual says for my '13 (I'd guess it's still the same with the '14):

"The theft-deterrent system will not

activate if the doors are locked with

the key or the manual door lock.

It activates only if you use the

power door lock switch or the RKE

transmitter. The vehicle can be

started with the correct key if the

alarm is set off.

To avoid setting off the alarm by

accident:

. If you do not want to activate the

theft-deterrent system, the

vehicle should be locked with

the door key after the doors are

closed."

so long

j-ten-ner

Yes, if you arm the alarm...see page 2-12 of the Owners Manual...

The theft-deterrent alarm system will not arm if the doors are locked with

the key.

If the driver door is opened without first unlocking the RKE transmitter, the horn will chirp and the lights will

flash to indicate pre-alarm. If the vehicle is not started, or the door is

not unlocked by pressing K on the RKE transmitter during the

10-second pre-alarm , the alarm will be activated.

If a door, the hood, is opened without first disarming the system,

the turn signals will flash and the horn will sound for about

30 seconds. The alarm system will then re-arm to monitor for the next

unauthorized event.

Archived