the first person to get an Edelbrock SC on a 6.2!

I knew somebody else with Dyno experience would catch it.... not only is it lower, it's a different curve.

Well it's been a while but yeah this graph just don't follow suit.. lol

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have nothing constructive to add but would just like to say.....AWESOME and thanks for sharing the build with us. That thing is going to run well and look forward to your impression and final numbers.

Yea I look at it this way, it's not really important to me what the baseline is. But regardless of how it reads it will still show a pretty accurate representation of the difference before and after.

Also I know the truck is back up and running again but I don't have any data yet. I don't know if they will send a dyno after they feel they have a pretty good tune and are road testing (probably shredding my tires off!) or if they are going to wait until after they are done with everything

I will say this much, and I could be totally wrong, but I would like to think, or at least make the assumption that of any of the people who might know how to run a dyno you would think edelbrock would know! After all their entire existence started based on performance gains on different vehicles.

If there was anyone's dyno figured u would think you can trust it would be them. Not to mention the final numbers will be used to publish to everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will be interesting to see the outcome of this install. i was looking at hennessey and Lingenfelters kit on the 5.3 and to get the 475 wheel hp on the magnuson blower they are running 7 lbs of boost. where as edelbrock only runs about 5.5 lbs. i don't know their final hp numbers yet but i suspect based on design along and the better cooling on the intercooler the edelbrock will make more power with less boost than a maggie.

I will say this much, and I could be totally wrong, but I would like to think, or at least make the assumption that of any of the people who might know how to run a dyno you would think edelbrock would know! After all their entire existence started based on performance gains on different vehicles.

If there was anyone's dyno figured u would think you can trust it would be them. Not to mention the final numbers will be used to publish to everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly why it strikes me as odd. ?

ok so I have another update to report. the truck is up and running with the new SC and a baseline tune. they took it over to their other facility 1 mile away to have an o2 bung welded into the exhaust so they can read wideband A/F ratios.

the tuning will begin today and take a couple weeks from here.

in speaking with the tuner a few things I have learned..

other companies like LPE and HE are using 93 octane tunes, so their numbers look better but EB tunes with 91 because that's what most people will be using.

I was told not to release anything publically so I will not but I was given an HP number for the 5.3 that well exceeds the likes of LPE or HE advertised numbers. so I am even more curious to see what that is on the 6.2

the question that I asked was if the E force design has a more efficient intercooler than other designs and while I did not get an exact answer to that question, I simply got "we make a lot of power because of our intercooler"

and a short answer was the cooler you make the air charge, the more power you make with less boost.

I was also told in a week or so I may have a hp number but not a dyno. no one has said it yet but I don't think they are going to give me a dyno sheet until the tune is done and they are prepared to make an official public advertised number.

also whatever numbers I get in the next week may not be the actual final result as making more power is not a problem. in fact, they said they have made well more than the 624 hp they claim on the stingray in dyno testing, but until they release a final calibration the numbers they got during testing usually are a lot more than what they will put in public view for legal and PR reasons.

the hp number I got and cannot disclose for the 5.3 was surprising! and that makes this wait for a number even harder! (they haven't officially posted any numbers for the 5.3 yet)

so I may get told a high number but the end result may not be the safe number they are going to advertise.

does that make sense?

they tell me their whole goal with this kit is to maintain all functions, traction control and drivability like stock. the fact is this is a vehicle used to TOW things and it's calibration is a lot more on the safe side than a vette for example.

and so the wait continues..

this wait is damn frustrating..

spoke to EB today via email, they say everything is going smooth, no problems, no surprises. they say they feel confident they can finish up testing by the promised 4-6 weeks. so far this friday marks the 3rd week mark.

they are unwilling to give me any HP numbers as yet.

i did ask why the HP was reading so high and i was told "not sure, it could be because we are so close to sea level"

PLLTTT! yea right!

but i am definitely getting the impression they are sick of me asking about the status. they give me just enough of an answer to shut me up but not much else..

but here is what i know so far. they have put 117 miles on the truck since i dropped it off. every time i do a locate it is still at the facility and on the dyno.

i also know both front tires are flat, i can only assume it is because since they don't need to drive it anywhere maybe the let the air out of the tires to make the front of the truck lower to the ground for easier access to the engine. (just guessing)

they also added 5 gallons of gas to the truck today as it was near empty. (half a tank when i left it)

they tell me all thats left to do is the fine tuning and i can't help but think that can't really take that long. they said they would drive it about 200 miles total, and they have already used 1/2 that many miles.

anyway, with the work they have left to do i would be surprised if it took 6 weeks total. in fact i can't see how they would still need it another 2 weeks from here. so i am hopeful they will be done by the 25th which works well for me schedule wise to pick it up and i can spend the weekend getting it home.

well thats all i have to report for now.

this wait is damn frustrating..

spoke to EB today via email, they say everything is going smooth, no problems, no surprises. they say they feel confident they can finish up testing by the promised 4-6 weeks. so far this friday marks the 3rd week mark.

they are unwilling to give me any HP numbers as yet.

i did ask why the HP was reading so high and i was told "not sure, it could be because we are so close to sea level"

PLLTTT! yea right!

but i am definitely getting the impression they are sick of me asking about the status. they give me just enough of an answer to shut me up but not much else..

but here is what i know so far. they have put 117 miles on the truck since i dropped it off. every time i do a locate it is still at the facility and on the dyno.

i also know both front tires are flat, i can only assume it is because since they don't need to drive it anywhere maybe the let the air out of the tires to make the front of the truck lower to the ground for easier access to the engine. (just guessing)

they also added 5 gallons of gas to the truck today as it was near empty. (half a tank when i left it)

they tell me all thats left to do is the fine tuning and i can't help but think that can't really take that long. they said they would drive it about 200 miles total, and they have already used 1/2 that many miles.

anyway, with the work they have left to do i would be surprised if it took 6 weeks total. in fact i can't see how they would still need it another 2 weeks from here. so i am hopeful they will be done by the 25th which works well for me schedule wise to pick it up and i can spend the weekend getting it home.

well thats all i have to report for now.

Just remember EB is a larger company and plan on selling this product around the US. They are most likely having to run simulation test and tunes to make sure the kit will work in all altitudes and conditions. Its not just strapping it on the dyno, and fine tuning the ecu. I also wonder how they plan on packaging this supercharger kit. Will it come with a baseline tune and a plug and play programmer? Or will it be something like AutoCal/EfiLive that you have to then go out and get it tuned.

That's exactly why it strikes me as odd.

I'm with ya, something is wrong with their dyno setup, as you know, hp and torque will always cross at 5252 rpm. They have to, as HP is defined as torque x rpm / 5252 the orange line appears to cross at or below 5252, but the blue is crossing at a higher RPM.

I'm with ya, something is wrong with their dyno setup, as you know, hp and torque will always cross at 5252 rpm. They have to, as HP is defined as torque x rpm / 5252 the orange line appears to cross at or below 5252, but the blue is crossing at a higher RPM.

i am open to suggestions, is it possible it has anything to do with the gearing?

Well dang Jenna, I didn't even look that close. I was trying to somehow justify the graph discrepancies between the two gears, which could have been a mechanical issue... then your eagle eye catches that which really peaks my curiosity.

I'm sure there is no malintention, but just curious how a company that probably Dyno's all day long every day, didn't catch that.

OP, Jenna's find should at least peak your curiosity enough to raise that question with EB. It's an even more valid issue than the one I pointed out, to the point of impossible if everything is working/setup correctly on the dyno. My issue could have been caused by something as simple as brakes dragging.

i am open to suggestions, is it possible it has anything to do with the gearing?

I see what you are thinking but it doesn't work like that, unless they were showing actual power to the ground which would be affected by the gears/torque multipliers. This is a feature on some Dyno's, but nobody uses it and if it was the case, it would be much higher because the rear end gear would be multiplying at a little over 3 to 1.

I'm sure EB has an answer though. Just shoot em an email. It's not going to effect how well your trucks going to run, but I want to see actual before and after on your build. Hopefully they weren't having Dyno issues that day and just didn't catch it.

The TQ and HP are scaled differently on the chart, that's why the lines don't cross at 5252, that's not an issue. The possible issue I see is about the top end surge it showed in 4th that didn't occur in 3rd, it makes me think the settings on the dyno were not the same between the runs.

Archived