Traction Control and Stabilitrac Question

Traction control is going to reduce wheel slippage. Stabilitrak will keep the vehicle from rolling by reducing power/applying brakes to wheels to balance vehicle out. Also helps with the vehicle drifting or sliding. It will straighten the truck out.

The reason to turn it off is if you are stuck in mud/deep snow. Even tho the traction control can help in those situations, some will be too severe and will require to shut them down and rock the vehicle the old fashioned way.

There is also a lot of detailed information in the manual regarding these two systems.

Edited by fondupot

In town when it's snowy I disable traction control so it doesn't kill power in the middle of a slippery intersection. It works great when it's slick on the highway but any other time it's a hinderance.

• Like 1

In town when it's snowy I disable traction control so it doesn't kill power in the middle of a slippery intersection. It works great when it's slick on the highway but any other time it's a hinderance.

so are you suggesting under normal (ie dry summer conditions) turning turning traction control off?

Hello Norcal Flyfisherman,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new vehicle! I see that your awesome forum members may have answered your question about Traction Control and Stabilitrac. I understand that you may have many general questions about the Chevrolet Silverado that you just purchased. I just wanted to let you know that GM Customer Care is here and we are always happy to assist you if you ever have any general questions or concerns about your vehicle. Feel free to private message anytime!

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

I find both a nuisance at times, whether it be in the dry or slippy conditions but at least you can turn off TC. SC will reengauge over 35mph. They do work really well for those that don't have a since of what a vehicle us doing when the tires are spinning or the whole truck is sliding but for those that do, it just gets in the way of having fun :driving::ninja:

Yes. I turn of traction control in snow when in town but I keep stabilitrac on as that can actually still be helpful. There is no way to have traction control fully on without stabilitrac though. TC will always be on to some extent to act like a limited slip but that's it. But it's really up to you and your driving style.

Not sure about the 2014 but my 2010 I turn them off on dry conditions quite a bit. I come from a truck that didn't have any of that and that's how I'm used to driving. Also turning it off seems to give me a little better throttle response when getting on it on the freeway to pass etc. It seemed to always kinda fall on it's face if I was at a slow roll and had to get on it to get going (pulling out of a gas station into a highway). Turning off traction control and stabilitrac seemed to lessen that problem. Maybe it's just me that seems to see the improvement. And maybe gm has changed the system in the 2014's.

I've looked through everything I could find in the forums about TC & Stabilitrac, sounds like they're making these trucks hard to have fun with. Anyone know if BlackBear can set it up to have TC, Stabilitrac, & Antilock Brake assist completely off with the push of the TC toggle, even at 35+MPH? (asking because I don't like my truck having a mind of it's own when conditions are dicey and the slightest loss of engine power or extra break can put you in a dangerous situation)

I find they make driving dangerous in the winter. In the winter, you slide.. There is nothing you can do about it. The key is to know what you do when that happens. Most people in winter climates can handle that, as they've been doing it for years. By sliding, i mean when driving around the city, taking a turn, front tires may slide a bit, or ass end slides out a bit, or tires just lose traction a bit. Like Mike said, its a massive pain in the ass, when you're trying to get through an intersection quickly, and your truck gets a mind of it's own and starts killing power, and hitting the brakes. I turn them off when driving around the city in the winter. On the highway, is where it really shines. The rest of the time I hate it. Plus it never seems to be totally off, which I hate even more. Justin can't tune it out, I've asked him.

Getting stuck is even worse. Like I said, its never totally off. So you're battling that Stabilitrak/ABS, while trying to get unstuck. Brakes grinding and making terrible noises. Makes me cringe thinking about it.

Edited by VMaxtastic
  • Like 1