Anyone with a 2015 6.2l with the 8 speed auto?

What an interesting and informative forum post.

I am in the market for a new truck, ready to buy today. If only I could convince myself, I have found a well designed truck. I found this site as I was looking for information on how the new GM 8L90E transmission is doing.

I have now read from the beginning post in September 2014 to posts #600 in April 2015. It begins with the excitement and breath taking anticipation of buyers ordering discussing and waiting for their new dream truck to arrive. I respectfully liken it to a kid waiting, Christmas is coming. I noticed several purchasers being long time and in some cases frequent returning GM customers.

I marveled at the pleasant atmosphere maintained through out the forum, even as members were struggling with their problems. I was dismayed at how members had to go to multiple different GM dealers before they found a dealer that would even admit, yes there is a problem. This concern was compounded by the lack of GM’s ability to supply technical support to their struggling dealers in finding a workable fix. Nor were there any reports of, yes, GM sees the problem with assurances just hold on, a mutual acceptable fix is guaranteed and will be coming.

Most saddening was the longtime customers that finally in frustration, I assume with much personal lost time, finally and understandably giving up, selling their vehicles and buying another brand. Even those members after moving to another brand, returned to the post with kind and helpful words.

Being the original purchaser of a 1968 Chevrolet truck and still the current owner I found humble and understanding about those that took the time to report their new trucks were running OK at 200 miles. I mean no disrespect and I appreciate their input because we now know some trucks are having a good beginning. In comparison with over 491,000 miles on my truck, I chuckled to myself. That’s 491,000 and a lot of new parts. :happysad:

If you do some searching you will find some owners are having troubles with their gas rigs 6 speed automatic transmission, both GM & Ford from my readings. Dodge owners have been reporting a lack of willingness to repair their vehicles with also what appeared to be systems to avoid the lemon law. It’s all somewhat hearsay, mostly from the internet.

I wish GM would have had more positive solutions. Very disappointing, you buy it and if it does not work, it appears you’re basically on your own.

A side point. -- Google does well in finding most things but problems on “8L90E transmission problems” takes considerable searching and just the right words. I say this only because, if the webmasters are reading they may be able to make changes to help the search engines fine this post more easily.

I sure appreciate everyones input.

Thanks everyone

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still own my 2015 silverado with the 6.2 8 speed and after many trips to the dealer in the past it has not let me down in almost 3 months now while I still feel something is not right I know what the dealer will say ( it's normal if something is wrong it will throw a code ) so with that said I don't wanna go back but here are my concerns there seamless ACTIVE FUEL MANGAMENT is not seamless it's more like a hard shift and you can here what sounds like air blowing out of a balloon real quick and real short like a squeak while the transmission seams to be ok now it still has its confusion of what gear to go to or to stay in v4 or go to v8 it's far from right but for now it works so I have nothing to stand on going to GM with my complaints but my free ( that's a joke ) oil change is near they will be hearing my concerns and also I will be asking for a new muffler because there is a pin hole in mine leaking out and a patch will not be a accepted I did not pay 50k for a truck to be patched so GM get ready I'm coming back at you and holding you accountable. If there comes a time I decide to buy another GM product I don't even know if my dealer would want to sell me one because of the ass hole I had to be to get my truck fixed but as you said they all have problems and as I asked them to do was do me right. Yeah they fixed it did they do me right no they did not at my cost of 3 tardys from work and an overal 8 hours of pay they said they were sorry by the way means nothing coming from GM I head it everyday 20 times a day for about 2 months but there were nice enough to give me 250$ towards any GM accessories but I have yet to find anything thing did not come on the truck already that I wanted or was not just junk other then one thing a bed step but if you have step bars you can not use it so I'm stuck with a free 250$ make up cheek that I can't even use.

So in all let's see what all as been done to my truck

1. A new front diffrerental

2. A new ECM

3. A new transmission

4. A electrical problem ( bad ground )

5. Soon to be a new muffler

So GM is it you or your cheap out of country labor ? Witch ever it may be take some of that money your pay your CEO and the rest of the ones that take all they money to the banks ( and we all know its not the union workers ) to fix the problem. Staff properly give them time off make them take time off while over time is nice it's also a disease.

Mine was built in the fall, like October, and I had them update the softwares before I took delivery. It was pretty good, but once I sorted out the torque converter Apply and Release tables with HPTuners it is now great.

My truck has 700 miles on it and is turning one month old this coming week! It is a 6.2, 8spd, LTZ. I haven't had any freak vibrations like some have and to date I feel the transmission shifts pretty well. I've noticed a random clunk here and there which I wont bitch about unless it's every up/down-shift. The V4 mode seems to cause the above mentioned issue sometimes with the truck not knowing what gear to be in or whether to be in V8 mode or V4 mode. Overall I love the truck compared to my 2013 LT 5.3,6spd! Good luck Rme2513 I hope they square things up for you soon!

Mine was built on 4/27/2015 (Sierra 6.2L Max Trailering). I have had it about 1 week now and so far no issues. I know commenting with only 120 miles may not be very worthy, but transmission is quiet, I barely can feel it shift into Reverse or Drive unlike my 02 Av which always clunked when putting in Reverse or Drive. I don't notice when it goes between V4 / V8. I am very happy with this truck. Nothing to complain about, except that it is way to easy to break the tires lose :-)

Mine was built on 4/27/2015 (Sierra 6.2L Max Trailering). I have had it about 1 week now and so far no issues. I know commenting with only 120 miles may not be very worthy, but transmission is quiet, I barely can feel it shift into Reverse or Drive unlike my 02 Av which always clunked when putting in Reverse or Drive. I don't notice when it goes between V4 / V8. I am very happy with this truck. Nothing to complain about, except that it is way to easy to break the tires lose :-)

About 1400 miles on mine now and it's been flawless (other than I got a passenger rear door ding courtesy of my dad). If there is one thing I sort of dislike it is the brights when driving at night. Even with the vosla bulbs and everything it still isn't quite where it should be (this is coming from a GMT 900 sierra with bullbar/light force driving lights though like your avy), definitely not a deal breaker though. The one thing I am still getting used to is the downshifting as well, it's just that there's that much more gears to go through and I am still not quite used to it yet, even though it is smooth. It's also a bitch to keep iridium color clean but it's worth it overall.

About 1400 miles on mine now and it's been flawless (other than I got a passenger rear door ding courtesy of my dad). If there is one thing I sort of dislike it is the brights when driving at night. Even with the vosla bulbs and everything it still isn't quite where it should be (this is coming from a GMT 900 sierra with bullbar/light force driving lights though like your avy), definitely not a deal breaker though. The one thing I am still getting used to is the downshifting as well, it's just that there's that much more gears to go through and I am still not quite used to it yet, even though it is smooth. It's also a bitch to keep iridium color clean but it's worth it overall.

Agreed on the downshifting, kinda feels like it's dragging as you coast for a red light or something.

Funny you mention the lights, as I am concerned theses high beams are going to suck when I am up north on the back roads. I kept my PIAA 525s, but I do not want to put a bull bar on this truck. I'm thinking an LED bar behind the grill but I want something that lights up the distance, I am not sure the LED bar would throw light as far as the PIAA 525s did.

Agreed on the downshifting, kinda feels like it's dragging as you coast for a red light or something.

Funny you mention the lights, as I am concerned theses high beams are going to suck when I am up north on the back roads. I kept my PIAA 525s, but I do not want to put a bull bar on this truck. I'm thinking an LED bar behind the grill but I want something that lights up the distance, I am not sure the LED bar would throw light as far as the PIAA 525s did.

I think light bars are more for spread than distancE, which I find okay with these lights. It's mostly the high beams that seem off putting. They simply add some distance to the light that's there for there from the lowbeams and nothing for spread.

As it stands for summer the days are long so night driving isn't much of a concern. Before winter comes around though I'll be looking at hid lights for sure and maybe a lightbar mounted in the grille, but I'll probably want grille inserts at the same time so I am not sure.

Get in your truck (cold in the morning ) crank it up put it in drive ( not reverse ) first and try to take off and see what happens if I don't wait 5 to 10 seconds after I put it in drive it will slip and not move the engin just revs and this was with the old and new replaced transmission. So let me know what happens

I have 1500 km on my 1 month old truck now and all seems well. The shifting takes some getting used to but it does not excessively clunk. The downshifting before coming to a stop is noticable unlike my 2011 6.2 6 spd. I have no vibrations at higher speeds and I think I accidently hit my speed limiter passing 3 cars on the highway at around 160 km/hr, it was like it just shut off. The truck seems to be a little stiffer on the small stutter bumps but overall it rides a little better then my 2011. The V8/V4 mode works flawless. It is definetly quiter, wind noise and engine/exhaust noise. Great fuel mileage so far 11L/100km on the HWY and sometimes better.

Got over 3500 on mine now, still no issues. Got a small GM update for TCC shutter IDK if it did anything major but it seems to have a firmer shift for 1-2, 2-3 which I like but loving the truck so far.

Also I never have issues with going in to drive/reverse and V8/V4 mode is seamless to me

• 1 year later...

Get in your truck (cold in the morning ) crank it up put it in drive ( not reverse ) first and try to take off and see what happens if I don't wait 5 to 10 seconds after I put it in drive it will slip and not move the engin just revs and this was with the old and new replaced transmission. So let me know what happens

Happens every morning when I leave for work and at end of day. Almost a game for me to see how long it takes to sort itself out.

Archived