Edelbrock Launches E-Force Superchargers For 2014 GM Half-Tons

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody know what the cost is

Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Systems for 2014 GM Trucks

Available Applications: Rear Wheel Horsepower / Torque Part No.

2014 GM 1500 Trucks EcoTec (5.3L) with tuner 445 / 421 #1568

2014 GM 1500 Trucks EcoTec (5.3L) without tuner 445 / 421 #15680

2014 GM 1500 Trucks EcoTec (6.2L) with tuner 528 / 496 #1569

2014 GM 1500 Trucks EcoTec (6.2L) without tuner 528 / 496 #15690

Features Include:

◦Increases performance up to 528 HP / 496 ft-lbs. torque (rear wheel) on a 6.2L engine

and 445 HP / 421 ft-lbs. torque (rear wheel) on a 5.3L engine

◦Features Eaton® Gen VI 2300 TVS rotor assembly

◦Integrated bypass valve for little to no decrease in fuel economy

◦100,000 mile self-contained oiling system

◦50 State Emissions Legal (E.O. Number D215-85)

◦Made in USA for absolute quality and performance

◦Retail priced at $6,559.95 (#1568 & #1569) and $6,199.95 (#15680 & #15690)

https://www.motorator.com/blog/gm/edelbrock-gm-truck-5-3-and-6-2-supercharger-kit/#.VFGGLHl0w5s

This info is actually about a month late! I've known the kit was available for sale over a month.

Bigsapper, i don't know if the tune you get has a specific tune for the TCM but i do know they were able to firm my shifts slightly.

They sell the kit with a SCT programmer and a tune file that replaces the factory tune with the EB tune file.

i believe the price was about 6700 bucks but if you look at www.jegs.com the kit is listed there.

As for the tuning itself. it's still not perfect I've been in contact with their tuner and I am hopeful that when the new stingray Z06 is officially out there will be a better tune available.

but I need to point out my issue is not a "shifting issue" it shifts just fine. the problem is that under about 50-70% throttle and while holding steady at that throttle position the truck pulls timing, and closes the throttle slightly before the shift, and after the shift gives timing back with a slight blip of the throttle.

The entire procedure is worse in some gears than others. mostly the 2-3 shift.

the net result is a pause, before and a push after the shift. A sensation that you feel during the entire process from beginning to end takes about 1.5-2 seconds at which point the power resumes as normal..

This new ECU uses something called Torque management. it is a fairly complex system that starts with the accelerator being pressed, a torque request sent to the ECU and based on the actual torque of the drive shaft, torque of the engine and other parameters the ECM controls shift points, throttle blade position, spark advance, and fuel requirements. all of these parameters were programmed to work with the factory tune.

while it seems possible to manipulate all of the engine parameters to accommodate the SC and it's fuel and timing requirements, the rest that takes place is part of the factory tune.

Obviously the factory tune was not designed to take an extra 200 lbs of tq into the equation. and as i understand it they do not have access to or the ability to modify this stock torque management behavior until HP tuners can get access to these tables in the ECM.

this seems logical to me but i honestly do not have anywhere near the knowledge i need to have to speak with much accuracy as to what is causing the problem.

They sent a tech to my house after i got home to address the issue at my elevation which i was told may be the culprit. however others i have spoke to at lower elevations have similar issues on non EB SC kits.

they claim the truck drove perfect before it left their facility but my experience driving back was only highway and i never personally got a chance to verify that claim.

looking back, driving through vegas i made a couple stops along the way and while i cannot say definitively the issue was there i can say the truck drove different with regard to the way it was "shifting" not the gear change but as i explained earlier. but since everything was so different (with boost) and without enough seat time to evaluate i dismissed any concerns i had at that time.

So when under 50% throttle the blip and the timing cause a significant change to the amount of power output when under boost that causes this issue. when i have passengers in the truck they would not know it wasn't me moving the accelerator, but can easily feel the issue if i tell them "it wasn't me"

I was assured by EB that this will be fixed with time as new updates to the tune become available. they will of course send updates to their customers to ref lash the truck with the latest tune and i am told this is pretty normal. heck even GM occasionally sends out updates.

I was promised they will not leave me hanging and that their intention is to get it perfect. but they felt it was good enough for now to bring the kit to market.

They already have a 5.3 they own in their garage to test on and have assured me ill get a test tune to try as soon as they have one to test.

in speaking with them at length about the issue and what can be done at this time. i do not feel that ANY tuner (LPE, Hennessy, magnacharger or the like ) has managed to get a perfect tune with a blower installed despite what they may tell you.

(if any of them want to challenge me on this issue i will happily buy a ticket to their shop and test drive one of their vehicles myself to verify it and post it here)

This issue as i understand it is hard coded into the ECM and to my best understanding of the issue HP Tuners still has not found a way to access these torque management tables in the ECM that causes this issue. i have even read a good deal of their forum and seen others with similar issues and no real solution or at least any follow up to report that any suggestions made solved their issue.

another person i know with the same engine and a magnason tvs 1900 has similar issues with his truck but worse than mine from the sounds of it.

so based on that i will openly state again that i do not believe this is EB's problem or lack of their ability to fix the issue! as i understand it the EB tune works better than anyone else's tune given the aftermarket technology that currently exists.

The hope is that the Z06 factory tune having a SC already installed and tuned from GM we may have a solution using that tune file as a baseline and just correcting the engine maps and parameters to match the EB tune for the engine itself. (but this is chartering into unknown territory at this time)

after all it is essentially the same engine with the blower on it.

I am reluctant to post this info as EB reads these posts, and I want to point out to them that i am by no means trying to open a wound here but at the same time i am not going to ignore the problem and pretend everything is perfect and that i am totally happy with it. i will say that i am certain they are doing the best they can with the limited access to the ECM that is currently available.

I also heard a rumor that one of the competitors i don't know if it was LPE , hennessy, or someone else was telling customers that they did not recommend getting ANY SC on the stingray with the auto trans due to drivability issues. they can do it, but advised against it. i would suspect if they are having similar issues on a much lighter weight car it would be more noticeable.

at this point I am happy to stand by and let EB work the issue. there are a few other problems with the intercooler system recovery tank and mounting bracket that I have not heard anything on as yet, but was told they are working on a change of a few parts to the recovery tank and the bracket. and i would be notified and sent new parts to try when they are available.

I am also still waiting to get word of the 5 year 100k mile warranty i was promised

I do feel that despite my concerns edelbrock seems to take a great deal of pride in their products, They have a long time reputation to protect in a very competitive market. i feel that from every person i have spoken with involved with this project seem focused on delivering the best product money can buy. Every person i have talked to seem very dedicated to achieving that goal. i think it is evident in the quality of parts used and the amount of R&D they have done to bring this kit to market.

i also believe they made and are continuing to make every effort to iron out the small details i have brought to light here and i am confident they aren't going to just brush any of these issues under the carpet.

HOWEVER if EB is unable, or unwilling to get the tune dialed in, i will be going to another tuner at some point to see if i can get it right which will be very bad PR for EB. If i cannot get results there I will have the kit removed and the truck returned to stock. and you can bet your ass ill be sharing that experience on the about half dozen forums i visit regularly.

i certainly hope it does not come to that.

i have told the EB tech that i will remain patient and as long as i don't feel i am being ignored or left out in the cold with no solution in sight. i will report back to them with any problems i have experienced and am happy to continue to help them resolve my issues in any way i can for as long as it takes. i am confident there will be a solution in the very near future.

i have been talking to the TFL "the fast lane truck". they want to do a gauntlet tow test up a 9% grade towing 10,000 lbs and air it on their web channel as they have already done for the 6.2 GM trucks and several others to see how it compares. they also want to get a 1/4 mile track test. i have not heard anything from them to schedule that and honestly have decided not to pursue that until i feel the truck is 100% because if i did that now i think it would be reflected negatively on EB i certainly don't want to make a video and have them comment on why it shifts funny.

but I want to reiterate, 80% of the way the truck drives is perfect and I have no complaint. everything from about 10-45% throttle and 80-100% throttle works great. but driving in town becomes a problem because i try to avoid those throttle positions because it just irritates me when it drives like that.

I wish I could tell you everything is perfect and I do not want to discourage anyone from getting a kit. because quite frankly if you buy the kit and have the same issues i have, we end up with just that many more people to complain about the same issue here publicly on the web until some kind of solution is found.

is the truck fun to drive? you bet! is it fast? absolutely! is it worth the money? definitely but you might have some concerns with the drivability until this issue gets fixed.

i am just being honest..

and edelbrock, if your reading this my apologies if you want me to take this down until we have a resolution I will happily do that. but also know that when everything is perfect you'll get my glowing review at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yippie! to be honest it's fairly disappointing the biggest problem with the TVS 1900 is the poor intercooler design.

I've heard with the 5th gen camaros you can run up to about 550 to the wheels on the stock 6 speed auto. If we use the same tranny we should be good as well. You start getting closer to 6 tho.. you need some beef.

I don't think GM uses anymore weak trannies like the 4L60E do they? I think the new designation is 6L80E?

that's a nice chunk of power from ~320 at the engine to 530 at the WHEELS? You gotta be edging 600fwhp with this setup.

I mean this in a beneficial helpful way, please do not take it as an attack. I just want to polish this understanding a bit.

The logic of why that "our" trannies will not hold as much as the camros is due to the weight difference. Basically if the Camaro holds 550...we would could be okay at around 520 ish because of the added weight of the vehicle.

The way that transmission are coded for the most part is like this a 6L80E is 6 forward gears mounted longitudially rated at ~800 lb ft of tq at the flywheel and E stands for electronically shifted. That 800 could actually be the input tq numbers...basically at the fly.

Now here's where it's a little fuzzy with transmissions...is the 800 rated in nueton meters? if so the 80 (or 90 for this transmission) would be less than 800tq and/or is that rated at the wheels or flywheel?

Someone else smarter than me might even get this more accurate.

My question is...

Does this void warranty ?

Even if dealership installs...

From my understanding if the dealer installs anything, no matter what it is, it will not void the warranty. As for someone other than a dealer, I'm pretty sure a supercharger would void at least the drivetrain warranty lol. After spending a few thousand just for a supercharger then voiding the warranty should be the last thing to worry about. If you're that worried then just wait until the warranty is over. By then there might be more kits to choose from.

My question is...

Does this void warranty ?

Even if dealership installs...

Technically and legally speaking, nothing will void a warranty on any OEM parts until a dealer can physically prove that the issue you are experiencing is being caused by an aftermarket part that was installed

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act can be a modder's best friend when making a warranty claim [emoji4]

The post below yours is right. The inter coolers are not efficient, but they don't look that bad one you deal with Magnuson directly and see how inefficient the entire company is itself. Unless someone has in stock ready to ship it might take up to 8 months to get it form them directly.

We call them up and told them we were building a Gen IV 440ci motor and wanted to start out with 10 pounds of boost. After 5 or 6 months we got the blower. Put it all together and it made 3.6 pounds of boost. Already twice not happy we ordered the smallest pulley they make and just got over 10 pounds leaving no room to grow. You won't see one of theirs on my truck.

Archived