Stock goodyears replacement worth it,

What kinda wear is everyone seeing with the Goodyear, I've never had a good Goodyear lol I'm thinking the are a 25-30k at most, but I'm more worries about snow travel

funny, we had 5 ft of snow here in Philly last year and mine did fine. And I live out on the mail line, very hilly area. I also have 12K miles on mine and don't see much wear at all.....

I have 10K and see virtually no wear. My stock Goodyears are smooth and quiet. I like them just fine. My driving is mostly dry, good roads here in Austin.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the LS2 Goodyears. They have already replaced 2 chasing down the vibration for being out of spec. After the full roadforce balance and replacing these tires most of the vibration has gone away. I would say they suck pretty hard if two had to be replaced. (one of the stock 20" wheels had to be replaced also for needing 8oz to balance.)

I will run them until they are gone which will probably be around 30K. They are horrible in ice/snow. I have run BFG All Terrains KO tires most of my life and they do great on all surfaces, they just don't slide on snow and ice like street tires will. I am looking for a set of All Terrain 20" wheels to put the new BFG K02s for Winter and I will run the Street Tires in the summer (probably some nice Michelin) The BFG KOs are a little louder and around curves that are sharper they are a little choppy.

The stock Goodyears are the worst tires I've ever experienced. That's just one guy's opinion. They are still round and black.

Definitely agree with this. The Goodyear LS2's are atrocious. If you have to drive in winter conditions with them, god help you. I quickly swapped mine for Bridgestone Revo 2's. I don't know what GM is thinking when they throw these tires on the trucks and then the SUV's get the Bridgestone Alenza's which are a MUCH, MUCH better tire.

I sometimes wonder if the LS2's are a sick joke that GM likes to play on customers. See how crappy of a tire you can give them and see if they keep coming back to buy another truck. Nobody in their right mind can seriously believe that they are a great tire for the application when there are much better options out there, and some are even cheaper.

To had to my other comments, I'll just say that the price of the Goodyears are added to the truck's cost. So since I paid for those tires when I bought the truck I'm going to keep them on until they wear out. Even if I get aftermarket rims I plan on keeping the size at 18 and I'll even have the Goodyears swapped to the new rims to save some money.

I have 10K and see virtually no wear. My stock Goodyears are smooth and quiet. I like them just fine. My driving is mostly dry, good roads here in Austin.

I'm on my fifth Silverado, and I like the Goodyears and replace them with more Goodyears when I buy tires.

They're quiet and seem to get about as much mileage as the more expensive tires I've purchased.

I agree the traction is not their strongpoint, but when I've used other tires with the better traction rating like the REVOs and Duelers the cabin noise has increased exponentially.

With Silverados you can leave it in Auto 4wd, so to me the traction issue is offset by that.

Good reading guys, thanks for all the opinions, and comments that why I asked, with that said I am still undecided, I asked if I could do this the week after new years, but they want It done within 5/7 days, pennies are tight until next month with the holiday,

Well after its first full day of use, unfortunately I think I will be keeping these tires, I did have to get on it getting across a few lanes of traffic, they broke loose pretty quick, the tread pattern seems decent wonder why they seem to suck, maybe to hard? anyways after the first full day I realize that a tonneau, step bars bed mat and splash guards are gonna be more pressing then these tires,

To had to my other comments, I'll just say that the price of the Goodyears are added to the truck's cost. So since I paid for those tires when I bought the truck I'm going to keep them on until they wear out. Even if I get aftermarket rims I plan on keeping the size at 18 and I'll even have the Goodyears swapped to the new rims to save some money.

I regretted doing that, in the end you lose money. I was out $80 to swap the Goodyears onto new rims and balance them. Add to that the cost of the flats I had patched (almost $200). Then I basically wore them out, and was out more money to mount up the new tires.

I the end I wished I had put new tires on with the new rims.

I regretted doing that, in the end you lose money. I was out $80 to swap the Goodyears onto new rims and balance them. Add to that the cost of the flats I had patched (almost $200). Then I basically wore them out, and was out more money to mount up the new tires.

I the end I wished I had put new tires on with the new rims.

Well $80 to swap tires and balance is a lot better than $600+ for new tires. Mine hasn't gotten any flat spots, probably because I run a little above 40 psi in them which helps a little with gas mileage and tire wear, just lowers anything that requires grip like handling or braking. Now whenever I'm able to get new rims if the tires look close to the end of their life then ya, but as long as they have plenty of life left then might as well let them wear down.

What happens if I swap rims, got a guy at work who hates the 20's I want em w may swap, do we have to do something with the sensors or will they pick up?? Although the 18's are growing on me,

All you have to do is take the truck to the dealer or someone that has that GM TPMS tool to sync the sensors with your truck. It's something that also is done when you rotate them.

As I've mentioned, I have the stock 18s and for me personally 18s are the prefect size. Not into the 20+ size rims. 20s would be pushing it, but certainly not 22s or above. I like as much sidewall as I can get rather it's a truck, muscle car or whatever. Especially with trucks and SUVs. I even up the PSI some in mine because just 35 psi makes them look like they're low on air (the more sidewall the worse it looks, the 16s on my old 98 looked worse than these 18s did with 35 psi).

Well $80 to swap tires and balance is a lot better than $600+ for new tires. Mine hasn't gotten any flat spots, probably because I run a little above 40 psi in them which helps a little with gas mileage and tire wear, just lowers anything that requires grip like handling or braking. Now whenever I'm able to get new rims if the tires look close to the end of their life then ya, but as long as they have plenty of life left then might as well let them wear

I didn't have flat spots, I had punctures. With my current tires I've not yet had a flat.

The thing is, if you're getting new rims and aren't completely happy with the stock tires, it makes a lot more sense to just get new tires as well. If you sell the old rims with practically new tires you'll likely get more money for them.

But it's different for everyone. The main reason I regretted it was spending money to remount the Goodyears, which got holes poked in them which wasted even more money and time. Throwing "good money after bad" if you know what I mean.

I didn't have flat spots, I had punctures. With my current tires I've not yet had a flat.

The thing is, if you're getting new rims and aren't completely happy with the stock tires, it makes a lot more sense to just get new tires as well. If you sell the old rims with practically new tires you'll likely get more money for them.

But it's different for everyone. The main reason I regretted it was spending money to remount the Goodyears, which got holes poked in them which wasted even more money and time. Throwing "good money after bad" if you know what I mean.

I have just under 9,000 miles on my truck and no punctures or anything. I check the psi every week or 2 (don't go by the truck, just if I see one is losing air or something) I know they're not the best tires, but they're not trash in my opinion. With everybody talking bad about those tires I'm sure if I bought new rims and tires and sold the stockers that nobody will keep the Goodyears anyways so I don't think it would matter as much how much life they had. Plus the 18s I have doesn't seem to be in much of a demand, most people want the 20s or 22s. The stock rims would probably be used for winter tires I would think.

• 2 months later...

They lose balance and vibrate. I had one cut down, and didn't want to put good money to crap tires so. I put two Michelin tires on instead. I bet if have to balance these three times before the Michelin need a balance. Also the performance is acceptable but not good. Those other tires will be better in every way.

Archived