Bilstein shocks thread

On 6/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, tanner709 said:

hey everyone, I have to say, the 5100s were not as great as I expected in the end. I had ~50k miles on mine, and they got a little rough recently. I would consider other options next time.

we live in a rough winter climate and im just wondering if anyone ever achieved a way to seal them and keep the shocks looking new-ish. Mine looked just as bad or worse than the ranchos in the end.

Appearance can dwindle quickly on the 5100s for sure.

Many shoot a clear an automotive type clear coat on them before installation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gearhead1000 said:

I changed out the stock ones that came with my truck after the first time I towed my 10k trailer they were not up to the challenge. Now mine is the max trailering max towing version so I got black ones which I am guessing are same as non z71 trucks. I could not at the time get a set of 5100's because I put on a 4" lift out of the gate and they were not available. So I bought a set of procomp's. I installed them and a huge improvement right away! Now with 60000 km on the truck I noticed one is leaking. So I felt that 52000 km was too short of a life for a performance set of shocks. So I am installing a set of 5100's this weekend because they make a set for the 4" lift now. I will report back how they run as towing season is here and I want to get away from all the smoke so I will be doing several trips south to the US and should get a good impression compared to the procomps.

20180602_151817.jpg

I love your trailer, it's so cool. I had the thought of trying something similar to take my car to the racetrack but I ended up finding a used smaller toy hauler that fit my needs with less effort. 

I ordered 6112s built as complete coilovers along with some 5160 rears from Battle Born today. I"m having them built to the 3rd from the top position. I'm looking forward to getting them installed next week. When the magazine article about the install comes out I'll be sure to share a link.

Red 5, Thanks. I built it in 06 and have been modding it ever since. It pulls well and carries 2 quads too. I haven't found a better solution for the money I got into this so I keep using it. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to rethink the spring perch ring height on the 6112s I ordered. the top setting is only .6" higher than the 3rd position and one of the few reviews I found said they're supposed to ride better in the higher positions. My thinking that if I want more rake after install, I can add a larger block in the rear which would be cheaper and easier than having the front ride height changed. I wish I could find more reviews.

2 hours ago, Red_5 said:

I'm starting to rethink the spring perch ring height on the 6112s I ordered. the top setting is only .6" higher than the 3rd position and one of the few reviews I found said they're supposed to ride better in the higher positions. My thinking that if I want more rake after install, I can add a larger block in the rear which would be cheaper and easier than having the front ride height changed. I wish I could find more reviews.

I've change my mind 10 times and searched tirelessly for info. So much conflicting data. Biggest fear is selecting the wrong height and being disappointed. The most indepth discussion on these is in the Toyota forum since they've been available on those models for some time.  No easy task switching the ring, if you want to change.  I pulled my truck out and used my floor jack to lift front end ~  1 1/4" to replicate setting #3 and around 1 3/4" to represent setting #4. I have to say, on my truck standing back 1 1/4 started to look level. (I had roughly an inch of rake). When I replicated 1 3/4" , the front started looking a little high without addressing rear. Leaning towards 3rd setting , but I'd switch to #4 and use a 2" block for rear I have if I could find some good reviews on that setting. 

• Like 1

I also think you have to keep in mind , when reading 5100 threads discussing 3rd or 4th setting ride that the 6112 appears to come with a softer coil spring than stock. This should help mute any additional harshness on higher settings, if they even exist.

I'm just trying to figure this stuff out, but it doesn't make sense to me that the Bilsteins would ride better set at 0 (stock) with spacers vs the upper settings with no spacers. Maybe I'm missing something, but as I've said before, lots of variables involved.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pivot said:

I also think you have to keep in mind , when reading 5100 threads discussing 3rd or 4th setting ride that the 6112 appears to come with a softer coil spring than stock. This should help mute any additional harshness on higher settings, if they even exist.

I'm just trying to figure this stuff out, but it doesn't make sense to me that the Bilsteins would ride better set at 0 (stock) with spacers vs the upper settings with no spacers. Maybe I'm missing something, but as I've said before, lots of variables involved.

I'm trying to understand this too, but it has been noted in this thread. Another good question is how do they "sag" over time. This is mechanical position (3rd/4th setting).

The only thing I can think of, is the valving and pressures at the various heights will impact the stiffness and ultimately ride quality.

We(I) need someone with a good shock/valving understanding to explain the shock preload settings(rings) vs a mechanical preload(spacer).

On 6/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, amxguy1970 said:

I installed 5100's over the weekend on the 3rd setting. I had a 1.5 top spacer prior to add clearance for 265/70/18's so I removed that, kept the 2 inch block as I need rake for towing and hauling. Stock Rancho's were fine, but after 60k, 1k off road and towing and hauling in between they were getting a little tired and I was getting some irregular tire wear; with half my tread remaining I wanted to nip that in the bud. When I took off the Rancho's they still had ok dampening and weren't shot, leaking or not springing back. With that said with how some people talk about these I was expecting these to be like King shocks for a tenth the price, or I was expecting these to be gods gift to shocks; that was not the case. I have ridden in a few trucks with these and was expecting a slightly rougher ride when set higher but better dampening in big bumps and that is exactly what I got. A nice up grade and inline with the price you pay. It wasn't a night and day difference like some try to sell (I swear a few members must work for Thyssenkrupp with how much they try and sell these to people), if you have more miles on the stock set up then it will be more noticeable. Overall a nice upgrade, we will be doing some back country off roading next month in New Mexico so these should be a nice addition. Will be airing down more to off set the rougher ride but it is a truck and I am good with it. Install wasn't horrible, I made sure to put them boot down in the rear.

Tyler

FWIW, I'm running the 6112's on the highest setting along with a .5" top spacer for roughly 2.35" lift. The guy above is talking about the 5100s, but he has captured my sentiments about the 6112 shocks exactly. I came from running a 2.5" spacer/level kit. If anyone has any questions let me know.

4 hours ago, tanner709 said:

I'm trying to understand this too, but it has been noted in this thread. Another good question is how do they "sag" over time. This is mechanical position (3rd/4th setting).

The only thing I can think of, is the valving and pressures at the various heights will impact the stiffness and ultimately ride quality.

We(I) need someone with a good shock/valving understanding to explain the shock preload settings(rings) vs a mechanical preload(spacer).

Yes. For some reason that really throws me off when the spacer becomes involved. Especially spacer , plus max setting. 

45 minutes ago, dubwise said:

FWIW, I'm running the 6112's on the highest setting along with a .5" top spacer for roughly 2.35" lift. The guy above is talking about the 5100s, but he has captured my sentiments about the 6112 shocks exactly. I came from running a 2.5" spacer/level kit. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thx Dubwise. You keep the spacer to run bigger tires or simply to get more height up front? Year of truck and mileage? Coming from Z71 or Z60 suspension?   Sounds like it's a firmer ride and thats what I'm looking for. I have a sports car and I have no expectations that the 6112 will turn my truck into one. Just firm up things

My biggest dilemia is not so much 3rd or 4th setting. The more I think about it , I doubt most people could tell the difference. It's more how it would impact wheel/tire increase.  I want to add slightly bigger tires. 275/60/20 with a 20x9 rim. I like the Hostile rims , but only available in +10 or +12 offset. I like a Fuel wheel with +20 offset. The only way you can tell for sure is a test fitting. I keep thinking there have to be others that have tried what I'm trying to accomplish. 

1 hour ago, Pivot said:

Thx Dubwise. You keep the spacer to run bigger tires or simply to get more height up front? Year of truck and mileage? Coming from Z71 or Z60 suspension?   Sounds like it's a firmer ride and thats what I'm looking for. I have a sports car and I have no expectations that the 6112 will turn my truck into one. Just firm up things

My biggest dilemia is not so much 3rd or 4th setting. The more I think about it , I doubt most people could tell the difference. It's more how it would impact wheel/tire increase.  I want to add slightly bigger tires. 275/60/20 with a 20x9 rim. I like the Hostile rims , but only available in +10 or +12 offset. I like a Fuel wheel with +20 offset. The only way you can tell for sure is a test fitting. I keep thinking there have to be others that have tried what I'm trying to accomplish. 

I kept the spacer because I did not want to drop down in height from the 2.5" level I had on their previously, mostly because I was running 275/65/R20 BFG KO2s on the stock 20s and didn't want to risk rubbing.

Truck is a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (w/the garbage ranchos). I noticed the biggest difference going over large bumps and cornering, but it was not a drastic change. Nor was it like riding on a cloud as I've seen some people describe the 5100 swap as. I was expecting more to tell you the truth. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll try and answer.

• Like 2

Thx, man. I figured the tire had something to do with keeping the spacer. I looked at that tire size and figured I was pushing it since that's a 34" inch tire. Another example of variables. BFG KO2's in that size are slightly wider than stock and are 11" wide. That same size in a Falken Wildpeak AT3 measures 10.6" wide. You have the steel UCA's and I've heard the Stamped Steel UCA, which I have, could present issues on anything wider than stock due to the fact that they are slightly wider and bigger profile than steel. 

I even considered ordering a set of tubular UCA's with smaller profile, but not convinced it's necessary if I maintain very close to stock width tire. I'm only going to basically 1 1/4 or  1 3/4. When I called Bilstein, the rep said stock(stamped) UCA is fine assuming no spacers involved. He insisted the ride was the same on 3 and 4. I had the feeling that he was just reading off a response card and didn't shed a lot of light on the subject. 

No trimming with that tire? I'm surprised because you really boosted the total circum. from stock of 100.2 up to 107". Thats a lot. As mentioned , 275/60/20 only increases circum. from 100.2" to 103.6".  In your case the outer sidewall + inner maintains same position with stock offset and you simply went higher. The tires I'm looking at are 33" high. 

In addition that's a 10 ply tire with significant weight increase over stock. I want to say about 58# vs Goodyear LS2 around 40# which is P tire. I'd have to think that is a noticeable change?  Thanks again for the info. 

The most commonly described change when going from the Ranchos or Black factory shocks to Bilsteins or other good monotube shocks is this.....

Planted.

Simple as that. The most dramatic and instant feeling you notice with the Bilsteins is a planted ride.

-Second would be no more harsh jarring on minor potholes or going over railroad tracks.

-No more pogo stick when riding over speed bumps.

-No more bobble head when pulling out of your driveway into the street (side to side rocking 2-4 times)

Aside from this you will still feel every single expansion joint or light crack in road surfaces.

No shock out there can dampen and rebound lightning quick enough to eliminate this especially at highway speeds.

Not even the adaptive ride suspension (aka Magneride) can eliminate this

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

The most commonly described change when going from the Ranchos or Black factory shocks to Bilsteins or other good monotube shocks is this.....

Planted.

Simple as that. The most dramatic and instant feeling you notice with the Bilsteins is a planted ride.

-Second would be no more harsh jarring on minor potholes or going over railroad tracks.

-No more pogo stick when riding over speed bumps.

-No more bobble head when pulling out of your driveway into the street (side to side rocking 2-4 times)

Aside from this you will still feel every single expansion joint or light crack in road surfaces.

No shock out there can dampen and rebound lightning quick enough to eliminate this especially at highway speeds.

Not even the adaptive ride suspension (aka Magneride) can eliminate this

Dan, Good points. I know exactly what you mean. My son has a new 2019 Raptor with elaborate Fox suspension. You feel every crack on the road, but not in a bad way. I don't have a problem with that and its the only way not to have body roll and wobbly feel in turns or pogo feeling you mentioned off bumps  or crappy roads. 

What setting you running? 5100's or 6112?