Bilstein shocks thread

2 hours ago, Gearhead1000 said:

Sierra Dan, I thought they did a good job of managing the loads. Maybe a bit stiff empty but I never am so I would have bought them again if not for the premature seal leak. I think the ultimate shock would be adjustable. So I could soften it up for empty and then dial it up for loaded. But I can say they were night and day compared to stock. 

Most monotubes are going to give you that "stiff" feel. But that is the beauty of them.

The stiff feeling offers that planted ride and soaks up the crap in the roads that Twin Tubes do not.

Rancho does make the 9000 adjustable shock. Not sure about the quality or longevity of them.

11 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Most monotubes are going to give you that "stiff" feel. But that is the beauty of them.

The stiff feeling offers that planted ride and soaks up the crap in the roads that Twin Tubes do not.

Rancho does make the 9000 adjustable shock. Not sure about the quality or longevity of them.

Dan, I can't remember, You on 3rd or 4th setting on Bilstein's?? 

Installed Bilstein 5100s in front/rear with 2 inch block in back. Fronts are at highest setting.

Still too much rake? I wanted to keep some rake but don't want more than factory. Failed to take picture prior to install unfortunately so I don't recall how much rake it had before.

What do y'all think?

bef65e3617468b5600cd1d51a6e502d1.jpg93d85370bed4b3606b23ae83f5ac4352.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jimbowattz said:

Installed Bilstein 5100s in front/rear with 2 inch block in back. Fronts are at highest setting.

Still too much rake? I wanted to keep some rake but don't want more than factory. Failed to take picture prior to install unfortunately so I don't recall how much rake it had before.

What do y'all think?

bef65e3617468b5600cd1d51a6e502d1.jpg93d85370bed4b3606b23ae83f5ac4352.jpg

Truck looks good. You still have stock tire size? It could be the angles, because it looks level, but my eye keeps being drawn to the additional open space above rear tire in 2nd pic. The light is hitting it and you can see bed rail.

What are the actual measurements now? Front and rear? 

I'm going with 3rd setting and eliminated swapping out the rear block. Hope I'm happy with selecting setting 3. Should know late Tuesday. Goal was to get nose off ground, tighten up things and put 33" tires under. 

Truck looks good. You still have stock tire size? It could be the angles, because it looks level, but my eye keeps being drawn to the additional open space above rear tire in 2nd pic. The light is hitting it and you can see bed rail.   What are the actual measurements now? Front and rear?    I'm going with 3rd setting and eliminated swapping out the rear block. Hope I'm happy with selecting setting 3. Should know late Tuesday. Goal was to get nose off ground, tighten up things and put 33" tires under. 

Yes, stock wheels and tires on the midnight edition.   

1.5 inches higher in rear than front. Anyone know what stock rake is? I figure I would have been within a half inch of being level using highest setting had I not changed the block. Again I'm fine with rake, just not more than stock.

93a02d3dfc8c0ecf4a5541ef533771c1.jpgeff73eede590e2dc9792cfb76840e906.jpg

I took measurements before dropping truck off.

Stock on a 2017 High Country with Z60 Suspension

Front 36 3/4 " ~ Rear 39 1/4"  = 2 1/2" Rake

3rd setting should put me at 38" Front ~ Rear 39 1/4 = 1 1/4 Rake.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be holding phone level (nice wax job) Looks to me that you are setting at 38 front and 39 1/2 " rear.  Back 1/2 missing could be air pressure, angle. You sure you are on top ring up front? 

Edited by Pivot

I took measurements before dropping truck off.

Stock on a 2017 High Country with Z60 Suspension

Front 36 3/4 " ~ Rear 39 1/4"  = 2 1/2" Rake

3rd setting should put me at 38" Front ~ Rear 39 1/4 = 1 1/4 Rake.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you appear to be holding phone level (nice wax job) Looks to me that you are setting at 38 front and 39 1/2 " rear.  Back 1/2 missing could be air pressure, angle. You sure you are on top ring up front? 
I'm pretty sure it's highest setting, but I didn't install the fronts. But I asked shop twice to confirm and they said highest.

Just tried to look under truck but it's hard to tell which ring with the boot covering the top.

There are a couple pics where you can see the ring settings exposed. I know you have 5100, but scroll down a bit on 2014-2018 mod thread and click 6112 install or toggle back a page on this thread and you'll see a thread link. 4th setting should show 3 rings exposed below collar. 3rd setting should show 2 rings.

You should be able to turn your front wheel out and squat down in front of tire on driver side and see the setting with flashlight or phone. No boot on the front that I'm aware of. 

Just dropped off my 2016 Z71 to have the 5100's installed on the front at the highest setting. I'll do the rears myself just for the fun of wrenching. Lots of reasons people here went with these shocks, but for me it was the consensus that for a level, this was the better option over spacers. Upgrade the shocks plus the additional height without the bad CV angles. I plan on getting a 3-4" lift and bigger tires (probably keep the stock 18" wheels) once we get a new daily driver for work. My truck's only got about 22K miles so I'm sure the Rancho's are still fine so it will be interesting to feel the ride quality difference. I drove a Honda Prelude for 20 years and had a 2002 Chevy 1500 for awhile to haul hay and trash. The ride quality on my 2016 Silverado seems like something I wouldn't want to make stiffer, but then again it is a truck! I bought the Bilsteins for the additional height and upgrade over stock, not because I thought the Ranchos were terrible. Hope it wasn't a bad compromise. I'll find out this week!

There are a couple pics where you can see the ring settings exposed. I know you have 5100, but scroll down a bit on 2014-2018 mod thread and click 6112 install or toggle back a page on this thread and you'll see a thread link. 4th setting should show 3 rings exposed below collar. 3rd setting should show 2 rings.

You should be able to turn your front wheel out and squat down in front of tire on driver side and see the setting with flashlight or phone. No boot on the front that I'm aware of. 
Ok so I effed up with prior measurement. Parked her flat and here's what I got.

Have 3 inches of rake. Ring looks to be on top setting. What am I missing? 9a2a955c0def25dfc77b8b43585af96f.jpg983a7ef3c0c7e56279a8731198ec00c2.jpg7ba773a010acfd8a4047b208acebb67c.jpg

1 hour ago, jimbowattz said:

Ok so I effed up with prior measurement. Parked her flat and here's what I got.

Have 3 inches of rake. Ring looks to be on top setting. What am I missing? 9a2a955c0def25dfc77b8b43585af96f.jpg983a7ef3c0c7e56279a8731198ec00c2.jpg7ba773a010acfd8a4047b208acebb67c.jpg

I won't have my truck back for a few days, but I have my fronts at the 3rd setting (4th being the highest) and a 2" rear block.  I don't have as much rake as you.  Seems like your fronts are at the stock setting, maybe 2nd.