Bilstein shocks thread

Also, measure from the middle of your wheel cap to the fender lip.  Then tire size won't skew readings in comparison to other trucks.

Thanks, will do. Starting to think my guy messed up... I should have measured before hand... 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, jimbowattz said:

Thanks, will do. Starting to think my guy messed up... I should have measured before hand... 

Try and search or maybe someone can chime in on stock fender height on Z71 suspension. I have Z60 suspension.

You would see the lower rings below the spring seat if set at max. Like others have said, always measure from flat surface and center of wheel. I hate to say it, but think you are at stock setting, maybe 2. 

The 3" of rake is additional confirmation using rough #'s. If you bumped the back up by 3/4 , assuming 2 1/2 " stock rake , you would be right around  1 " of rake at max setting of +1.85 up front.  Hopefully you have some written documentation on what setting you requested. 

Just to chime in, i measured my 2016 Z71 before bringing it in and i had almost exactly 2.5" of rake bone stock. Also, my shocks came set at the 1st (lowest) setting from the factory so i went ahead and moved the ring up to the highest rung before bringing it in. Didn't want to have to bring it back if they forgot to make the change! Curious what your install charge was? I was quoted $320 for install, front end alignment and tire rotation for good measure. Not cheap but the shop specializes in suspensions so I know it will be done right.

8 hours ago, Rykar said:

Just to chime in, i measured my 2016 Z71 before bringing it in and i had almost exactly 2.5" of rake bone stock. Also, my shocks came set at the 1st (lowest) setting from the factory so i went ahead and moved the ring up to the highest rung before bringing it in. Didn't want to have to bring it back if they forgot to make the change! Curious what your install charge was? I was quoted $320 for install, front end alignment and tire rotation for good measure. Not cheap but the shop specializes in suspensions so I know it will be done right.

Really nice price point there.  Mine was 415 out the door with my guy. 

40 minutes ago, 4weight said:

Really nice price point there.  Mine was 415 out the door with my guy. 

yeah, well got a call from the shop about noon today and that $320 turned into $450 because he initially thought he was just replacing the strut ASSEMBLY, not disassembling it to swap out the shock. I have no idea how that little detail got overlooked but he said it added about half an hour per side. I can see 30 minutes to compress the spring, disassemble it, swap out the shock, get everything back into place and reinstall it. But an hour per side just to get the strut assembly out? I'd actually originally planned to pull them out myself and bring them into the shop but decided I didn't want to kill a weekend and be without my truck so figured I'd have them do it and eat the labor costs (we have tons of things to do around the house every weekend so time is precious). Maybe it's more complicated than I imagined. It's not anything I've ever done before and I don't have a fancy lift or air tools so I'm sure it would have taken me awhile to do but in hind sight, to save $200 in labor I should have just dove in! I'm really anxious to see how different the ride quality is. I'm also glad I decided to do the rears myself. That should be easy. Turned out to be a pretty expensive front end level, but at least the shocks are much higher quality (and adjustable) and hopefully the CV angles are closer to stock than they would be with a spacer. After I absorb this bill, my next adventure will be bigger tires (and I can start following another gm-trucks thread)!

I posted this on the 6112 install thread, but will paste it here for others following this thread. I was desperate for measurements on 6112 prior to install. Hope it helps others..

Just returned from the shop that installed my 6112's up front and 5100's in rear.

I have the Z60 suspension and liked it. Truck is basically new and has 4k miles on it. 

I was originally going to set at max setting (4) and install a 2" block in the back to achieve a level. I talked to the installer awhile before dropping it off and he asked what I was hoping to achieve. Basically told him this is part of a process to allow larger wheels and also not sacrifice ride quality, hopefully improve. He immediately asked how big of tire and I told him 275/60/20. I'm on stock 20" rims and 275/55/20 tires. He rec'd setting the front adjustables to third setting and leave the stock blocks in back. Told me I would look level and should have a rake of right around 1". After changing my mind multiple times, I went with the 3rd setting and eliminated swapping out the stock rear blocks. 

First impression. I pulled up and saw my truck out front. It pretty much looked the same. Stock wheels and rims still on.  Only since I've been measuring and focused on wheels, tires, could I tell that there was a little more open space in the front wheel well. Most people would never notice. Truck appeared level.

I paid and jumped in the truck to head home. Immediately noticed my hood was a little higher, but nothing dramatic. I had about a 15 mile ride home and I took all the back roads back and they are in poor condition. I don't know if it was in my head, but they seemed a little smoother. I could feel the potholes, but only once and the suspension quickly recovered. I was moving at a good clip to test the changes and came around a corner where a car was turning and had to hit the brakes pretty hard. Immediately noticed brake drive was gone. I know the suspension is firmer, but only say that because I could hear a slight rattle near glove box, passenger seat. I never drive without tunes playing (had them off) and that might be some of it. Also had all the oem coils and struts in back, parts on passenger floor and my locking lug nut piece was still on a lanyard in the cup holder. I'll clean things up later, but suspect the passenger seat rattle might be due to stiffer ride, possibly loose stuff clanking. Time will tell. 

Bottom line, I noticed two big changes. #1 The truck stays level in turns at speed. #2 Brake dive dramatically decreased. I felt like I could drive faster on rough roads and the truck was tracking straight after bumps. 

Now to the measurements. 

I dropped the Truck off and measured everything before the swap. 

Front center point on wheel well was 36 3/4 stock, rear was 39 1/4 = 2 1/2" of rake

Bilstein 6112 with Bilstein 5100 in rear

Front center point on wheel well 38 1/4, rear unchanged at 39 1/4 = 1" rake. 

So, I gained a hair over what I expected. It could settle a bit, we'll see. Bottom line right after install I gained 1 1/2" up front on 3rd setting.

I'm happy with the ride, but coming off new shocks and coils , it wasn't huge. It certainly didn't get rougher or unpleasant. 

Next, I'll be looking hard at rims and tires to complete this project. Then, what I want the most is a tune. The owner and another mechanic both said they love my exhaust and wanted to know what model I had. I laughed and said it's a Borla Atak, really barks at start up when cold. They agreed and said they all really liked it except one guy. I wasn't sure what was so funny till they whispered and pointed to another mechanic. I looked and he had a Tshirt on with coffee stains up front. I guess he was standing next to it early am sipping coffee and it really startled him when it started and he split hot joe all over his white t-shirt. 

I can also confirm that the Bilstein 6112's at the third setting will show 2 rings exposed below the spring cup. 

Pretty happy so far and really looking forward to putting bigger tires and new rims on next. I'll have to drive it on the highway next to see what changed. 

IMG_0780.jpeg

19 hours ago, Pivot said:

I posted this on the 6112 install thread, but will paste it here for others following this thread. I was desperate for measurements on 6112 prior to install. Hope it helps others..

Just returned from the shop that installed my 6112's up front and 5100's in rear.

I have the Z60 suspension and liked it. Truck is basically new and has 4k miles on it. 

I was originally going to set at max setting (4) and install a 2" block in the back to achieve a level. I talked to the installer awhile before dropping it off and he asked what I was hoping to achieve. Basically told him this is part of a process to allow larger wheels and also not sacrifice ride quality, hopefully improve. He immediately asked how big of tire and I told him 275/60/20. I'm on stock 20" rims and 275/55/20 tires. He rec'd setting the front adjustables to third setting and leave the stock blocks in back. Told me I would look level and should have a rake of right around 1". After changing my mind multiple times, I went with the 3rd setting and eliminated swapping out the stock rear blocks. 

First impression. I pulled up and saw my truck out front. It pretty much looked the same. Stock wheels and rims still on.  Only since I've been measuring and focused on wheels, tires, could I tell that there was a little more open space in the front wheel well. Most people would never notice. Truck appeared level.

I paid and jumped in the truck to head home. Immediately noticed my hood was a little higher, but nothing dramatic. I had about a 15 mile ride home and I took all the back roads back and they are in poor condition. I don't know if it was in my head, but they seemed a little smoother. I could feel the potholes, but only once and the suspension quickly recovered. I was moving at a good clip to test the changes and came around a corner where a car was turning and had to hit the brakes pretty hard. Immediately noticed brake drive was gone. I know the suspension is firmer, but only say that because I could hear a slight rattle near glove box, passenger seat. I never drive without tunes playing (had them off) and that might be some of it. Also had all the oem coils and struts in back, parts on passenger floor and my locking lug nut piece was still on a lanyard in the cup holder. I'll clean things up later, but suspect the passenger seat rattle might be due to stiffer ride, possibly loose stuff clanking. Time will tell. 

Bottom line, I noticed two big changes. #1 The truck stays level in turns at speed. #2 Brake dive dramatically decreased. I felt like I could drive faster on rough roads and the truck was tracking straight after bumps. 

Now to the measurements. 

I dropped the Truck off and measured everything before the swap. 

Front center point on wheel well was 36 3/4 stock, rear was 39 1/4 = 2 1/2" of rake

Bilstein 6112 with Bilstein 5100 in rear

Front center point on wheel well 38 1/4, rear unchanged at 39 1/4 = 1" rake. 

So, I gained a hair over what I expected. It could settle a bit, we'll see. Bottom line right after install I gained 1 1/2" up front on 3rd setting.

I'm happy with the ride, but coming off new shocks and coils , it wasn't huge. It certainly didn't get rougher or unpleasant. 

Next, I'll be looking hard at rims and tires to complete this project. Then, what I want the most is a tune. The owner and another mechanic both said they love my exhaust and wanted to know what model I had. I laughed and said it's a Borla Atak, really barks at start up when cold. They agreed and said they all really liked it except one guy. I wasn't sure what was so funny till they whispered and pointed to another mechanic. I looked and he had a Tshirt on with coffee stains up front. I guess he was standing next to it early am sipping coffee and it really startled him when it started and he split hot joe all over his white t-shirt. 

I can also confirm that the Bilstein 6112's at the third setting will show 2 rings exposed below the spring cup. 

Pretty happy so far and really looking forward to putting bigger tires and new rims on next. I'll have to drive it on the highway next to see what changed. 

IMG_0780.jpeg

Great review Jeff. Thank you for sharing.

Hit a railroad crossing soon and you should notice a huge improvement over the stock suspension you ditched.

It will take a little time getting used to the firmer planted feeling but you will not regret the swap for sure :thumbs:

Hopefully the $400 increase with 6112s over 5100s will yield further benefits down the road.

Looks like your guy messed up, you should be able to see rings underneath if it was at the top setting. That looks like the stock setting, which would explain the large amount of rake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, jgraves13 said:

Looks like your guy messed up, you should be able to see rings underneath if it was at the top setting. That looks like the stock setting, which would explain the large amount of rake

He said he went with 3rd setting not the highest.  

Hello, early next week I should be receiving my eibach kit (2.5” with the springs) for my Silverado 2016. do you guys think I can fit 33x12.5 r18 nitros ridge grapplers or just stay at the 285/65 ?

Hello, early next week I should be receiving my eibach kit (2.5” with the springs) for my Silverado 2016. do you guys think I can fit 33x12.5 r18 nitros ridge grapplers or just stay at the 285/65 ?

Should fit just fine depending on the offset

10 hours ago, Irwinazo said:

I'd be surprised if that fit without some trimming. Its the width that usually gets you and thats a wide tire. I'm looking at rims and tires now also. Do you have stock rims? I don't know offset on stock 18" rims. Whats your current offset? That tire will move over .65" closer to suspension + frame. 2016 models started with the Stamped Steel UCA's. Do you have those or aftermkt UCA's? 

You might get away with a 275/70/18, maybe even 295/65/18. Both are basically 33" high and the first tire is 10.8 " followed by 11.6 " width  on 295. 

I'm guessing you will rub UCA if you have stamped steel, also will hit the lower rear corner on front wheel well where I've seen  guys cut and slap a plate on there. Zone makes one among others. If your not swapping rims, try a local shop and ask for a test fit first. 

Edited by Pivot