Bilstein shocks thread

23 hours ago, bhales said:

perfect stance, good looking truck!!

17 hours ago, navyguy357 said:

Thats a good stance.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, jwtero said:

Purchased my 2014 Sierra 4WD a month ago, was already leveled unknown kit. The oem Ranchos were garbage and worn. I installed the Bilstein B8 5100s after reading this thread. Set at highest setting, removed the lower level and kept the top of strut level piece installed. Upgraded to 2” rear blocks and measures dead level 40.5” all around. Installed the shocks on the rear bolts down with the sticker reading correctly. Rides great and planted. Also put on 285/55/22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 

E45AACBD-95D0-4D81-AA86-124EE4C7E300.jpeg

Perfect stance? It looks nose high like Cali style trucks. It may measure level but many people on here know that when you do that it doesn't look it...

I'd remove the top spacer and just run the Bilstein's at the top setting. This way it retains some rake as a truck should, doesn't look nose high and will wear less on the front end since stacking leveling kits and running that high is never good for the truck. Did you adjust your headlights down after all of this? 

Tyler

• Like 1

Purchased my 2014 Sierra 4WD a month ago, was already leveled unknown kit. The oem Ranchos were garbage and worn. I installed the Bilstein B8 5100s after reading this thread. Set at highest setting, removed the lower level and kept the top of strut level piece installed. Upgraded to 2” rear blocks and measures dead level 40.5” all around. Installed the shocks on the rear bolts down with the sticker reading correctly. Rides great and planted. Also put on 285/55/22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 
E45AACBD-95D0-4D81-AA86-124EE4C7E300.thumb.jpeg.bee04d3d4121ec273a0b898ee518e1ec.jpeg

I'm scared to see what your CV angles look like. Truck looks good, but I wouldn't leave it like that if you don't want your suspension components wearing out quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Perfect stance? It looks nose high like Cali style trucks. It may measure level but many people on here know that when you do that it doesn't look it...

I'd remove the top spacer and just run the Bilstein's at the top setting. This way it retains some rake as a truck should, doesn't look nose high and will wear less on the front end since stacking leveling kits and running that high is never good for the truck. Did you adjust your headlights down after all of this? 

Tyler

I think the problem is that the top of the hood near the windshield sits higher than rear of truck which gives it that rear sagging height. That’s why trucks with a tad of rake look better (and level) because the hood angle and height is the same as the bed angle and height. 

I agree that 3rd or 4th setting on the 5100’s is probably ideal for ride comfort, level look, and component longevity. 

• Like 1

Been watching and reading this thread for a VERY long time now.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered everything.

2014 Sierra 1500 AT Extended Cab w/ 87k miles

Last piece of the puzzle is tires.

I will get everything installed and see what I actually have to work with.

Right now I am thinking 275/65/20's

What I ended up getting - 

Camburg UCA's 

6112's in the front

5160's in the rear

5160 mounting brackets

All new mounting hardware

Edited by mbatzel14
  • Like 1

I have 3000k on the 5100 Bilstein rear shocks. 

First impression is that they are firm and very similar to the procomp ones but seem to be more able to adjust the damping better. I have no dought they will perform well Towing. But next time I will get adjustable ones for the halfton ride that I bought the truck for. Coming down from a 3/4 ton. 

I can verify that the part # you have is correct. I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 High Country with the 6.2L motor. Motor doesn't impact part #. BSN-47-273702 is the 6112 part # for 2014-2018 Silverado 1500's. 

Part # for the 5100 series monotube = BSN-33-238319.

The 5100 does not come with Coils. I used the part # above for the rear. 

Order eibach springs for your 5100's you'll be happy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just received my 4600 bilsteins in the mail today from shock warehouse.  I was surprised that the front ones came in brown boxes.  Is this normal or can someone tell me if they're supposed to come in a different box?  Just seemed a little too "generic" for the packaging.

23 hours ago, peejaykay said:

I'm at 100k miles. Stock suspension all around. Anyone tow heavy (9-10k) and do 6112 and 5160?

Also doing the z36 brakes + stainless brake lines at the same time. 

I have a small toy hauler that maxes out at 10k but is more like 8k when I tow it with a car inside - light car. I have the 6112 and 5160s but unfortunately haven't had the chance to install them yet. Hoping to get them on soon. 

I have a '15 Sierra 6.2 Max Tow with 42k miles.

Anyone have a squeaky Bilstein strut? Ive got a squeak up front, passenger side. if I stand on the running board and rock the truck, squeak squeak squeak. Everything seems tight that I can tell. 

EDIT...so it was the main top strut nut. Wasnt totally loose, but enough that it would allow movement and the squeak. 

Replaced the sway bar bushing chasing the squeak and managed to snap one of the bolts. YAY

Edited by Roscopcoletrain

On 7/25/2019 at 8:58 AM, Roscopcoletrain said:

Anyone have a squeaky Bilstein strut? Ive got a squeak up front, passenger side. if I stand on the running board and rock the truck, squeak squeak squeak. Everything seems tight that I can tell. 

EDIT...so it was the main top strut nut. Wasnt totally loose, but enough that it would allow movement and the squeak. 

Replaced the sway bar bushing chasing the squeak and managed to snap one of the bolts. YAY

I had a squeak like this and it turned out to be a loose antenna. Sorry about your experience.