Bilstein shocks thread

164 Pages in this thread later and looking for opinions.

Looking to replace the shot Z95 Magneride suspension Front & Rear; in my '16 Sierra Denali CrewCab 4x4 6.2L with a 2" lift.  Why does the Bilstein website not have any search results for the 2016?

Rancho, Bilstein, other?

6 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Was the $100 charge with the units on the truck? If so that is not bad.

Also, did you get an alignment?

Unfortunately, that is with them off the truck. It was an urgent need (timing of the essence) so I sucked it up. Also, Bay Area, California prices are out of this world relative to the rest of the nation usually. 

It's done and installed. 

I didn't get alignment. I'm debating whether I will. If alignment is $150 at the dealer but new tires are $1200/set. I'd have to expect that I get 25% more life out of my remaining tires to break even on ROI. I'll have to get alignment with new tires as I'll be getting a different tire size the next time I need tires so I'd have to fork up that amount again at that point. I don't foresee getting an additional 25% out of these LS2 tires--nor do I really care to. As it is, I haven't rotated them in the last 13K miles. 

I got my truck back after installing 5100s all around.  Rides very good to me.  Front shocks are set at full height.  The new shocks seem to soak up the big bumps very well.  I agree with what others have posted about still feeling small road imperfections like expansion joints.  I do not believe the small bumps are any worse than my OEM ranchos with 77,000 miles on them.  I feel like the small bumps are on par or slightly better than the OEM shocks.  I am happy with the 5100s at their price point.

I need to snap a few pictures.

Still waiting on my 6112' from Battle Born Offroad. Ordered on 8/6. Was told a few days ago (20th) that they are expected to ship on the 28th. They are a little miss leading with the shipping. The webpage says they have 105 in stock  but please allow two weeks for shipping. Well I'm looking at three weeks and trying not to get frustrated about it. 

On 8/21/2019 at 4:21 PM, Gixxer188 said:

164 Pages in this thread later and looking for opinions.

Looking to replace the shot Z95 Magneride suspension Front & Rear; in my '16 Sierra Denali CrewCab 4x4 6.2L with a 2" lift.  Why does the Bilstein website not have any search results for the 2016?

Rancho, Bilstein, other?

Because your truck has magneride. If you put Bilstein's in you will have to get some sensor bypass plugs to avoid error codes.  

I wouldn't get rid of Magnerides for Bilstein's.  JMO

Just installed the 6112's on the front and 5100's on the rear. Did the rears myself, got 4wheelparts to do the fronts on the highest setting. Seem pretty good so far! I disagree with some people who say "night and day difference" but they do soak up the big bumps more easily and the truck seems more stable. Truck is still ever so slightly higher in the rear but other than that leveled out.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, Yondu said:

Because your truck has magneride. If you put Bilstein's in you will have to get some sensor bypass plugs to avoid error codes.  

I wouldn't get rid of Magnerides for Bilstein's.  JMO

Yes.  The same was true of the wife's Tahoe LTZ which I swapped over to Passive from the Active Z55 with the rear air option.

My question is still the same but let me ref-phase it.  For those have had the Z95 Magneride, and have swapped it from an Active to a Passive suspension setup; What did you go with?

Edited by Gixxer188

On 8/23/2019 at 10:32 PM, BowHunter1 said:

Still waiting on my 6112' from Battle Born Offroad. Ordered on 8/6. Was told a few days ago (20th) that they are expected to ship on the 28th. They are a little miss leading with the shipping. The webpage says they have 105 in stock  but please allow two weeks for shipping. Well I'm looking at three weeks and trying not to get frustrated about it. 

I was in the same exact position as you with Battle Born Offroad.  I ended up cancelling my order because they kept providing different ETAs each time I got in contact with them.  Very frustrating for sure.

4 hours ago, Gixxer188 said:

Yes.  The same was true of the wife's Tahoe LTZ which I swapped over to Passive from the Active Z55 with the rear air option.

My question is still the same but let me ref-phase it.  For those have had the Z95 Magneride, and have swapped it from an Active to a Passive suspension setup; What did you go with?

I have a z71 and went with bilstein 5100s. They're better in some ways but a kind of jarring ride, pretty stiff. I run standard load 275/60r20 tires at 32 psi.  I'll be swapping the setup out for 285/70r17 tires in the next few weeks for a better ride and if that doesn't give me what I want, CST coilovers.  I haven't used the CSTs so I can't in good faith recommend them as an improvement yet  They cost considerably more but I'm tired of my stiff ride.  

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 1:40 PM, Yondu said:

I have a z71 and went with bilstein 5100s. They're better in some ways but a kind of jarring ride, pretty stiff. I run standard load 275/60r20 tires at 32 psi.  I'll be swapping the setup out for 285/70r17 tires in the next few weeks for a better ride and if that doesn't give me what I want, CST coilovers.  I haven't used the CSTs so I can't in good faith recommend them as an improvement yet  They cost considerably more but I'm tired of my stiff ride.  

It’s true about the trade off. I’ve gotten used to the stiffer ride but overall, the handling has improved. The rear end is more planted and thus I have much less wheel spin/chirping when making a turn from a stop or on an off camber. 

Im happy with it but it is definitely more rough riding. I miss the smooth sailing over the tar strip and the like but when I hit a big bump or rough terrain while in a turn, I’m glad to have the 5100’s. 

Overall, I’d say it was worth it for what I was seeking. I bought a truck expecting a truck ride. If I wanted the caddy feel, I’d kept it stock. Maybe some progressive shocks vs digressive would be better for those who want a more comfortable, yet compliant ride.  

On 8/23/2019 at 7:32 PM, BowHunter1 said:

I ordered mine in the middle of July and have called multiple times. They aren't answering my calls anymore and haven't responded to my email inquiries.  I'm not sure what the note means they added to my order on 8/20. Getting about ready to dispute the charge.

image.png.d817f306fa605533082213e51ce2a731.png

Edited by Eneerge