Bilstein shocks thread

32 minutes ago, tkotx said:

Can I go Bilstein 5100's all around with 285/60/R20 on the factory 20's no rub?

I'm little confused. Shocks don't rub  If you're asking if that size tire will rub anything on the truck lifted at full height with stock wheels I would venture to say yes they might rub your stock control arms and felt wells at full cock??

You could possibly get some 1" or so wheel spacers to help them rub less or not at all.

Probably not very much help. Stock wheels are some unknowns with exactly how much backspacing they have as I can only answer my personal experience with my stock wheels.

We have no knowledge as none was given regarding your vehicle year make model pics of wheels, etc...

Good luck with your build

1 hour ago, Slash L86 said:

I'm little confused. Shocks don't rub  If you're asking if that size tire will rub anything on the truck lifted at full height with stock wheels I would venture to say yes they might rub your stock control arms and felt wells at full cock??

You could possibly get some 1" or so wheel spacers to help them rub less or not at all.

Probably not very much help. Stock wheels are some unknowns with exactly how much backspacing they have as I can only answer my personal experience with my stock wheels.

We have no knowledge as none was given regarding your vehicle year make model pics of wheels, etc...

Good luck with your build

Well obviously I was speaking about tire size. I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with factory 20's. I'm going to put the Bilstein 5100's all the way around and put the front adjustable shocks on the third or 4th notch. The factory tires 275/55/R20 as ppl may know measure like 31.9 x 10.8. 285/60/R20 should measure abound   33.5 x 11.2.... I know from reading that 275/60/R20 will not rub and they measure 33" x 10.8"..... Just curious if anyone has put the 5100's on and used a 285/60/R20?

All I can add is my 275/60r20 did not run in 20x9 +24 offset, but there wasn't much room. I lifted the front 1.4", 1.85" lift will not have more clearance either.  

They will definitely rub with 1" spacers as now I have 285/70r17 tires on 17x8.5 wheels, 0 offset and even though they're shorter (32.7 vs 33) they rubbed my mud flaps slightly until I trimmed them. No mud flaps would give me about .25" more clearance but I'm not going to run 0 offset wheels without them and throw rocks at my doors all day.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my truck done! 5100's all the way around and I ended up going 285/60/R20 which is 33.5" x 11.4" tire on the factory rim. There is a slight run at full tilt when making a u turn or cutting it real hard, other than that the truck rides great and looks great. 

IMG_6804.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

• Like 1

I got under the truck with my neighbor who is a mechanic and we don't think it's the ball joints. There is some motion in them but it's even on both sides and the noise only comes from the left. Also, when we lever the tire to check you can hear and feel a tap/clunk in the shock shaft.

I'm pretty satisfied that either the shock is damaged or the upper strut mount is. I can't get a hold of any of the upper mounts in under a week so this is on hold for now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Got done installing all 4 today and took it on a short test drive. The driver side front shock was shot and passenger was close behind.

After the work, the rattle is gone and it rides as well as I ever remember. The harshness I'd accumulated from the level kit, e-rated ko2s, and worn shocks is gone. We did put the extra spacer underneath and I'm happy so far. I'll report back if anything changes.

Thanks all. I should have gotten these from the start.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

929663ccbd17133c252d900e10ba6e75.jpg

Hey Guys, I am looking to level my truck with 5100s all around, setting the front at the highest setting. Does anyone have pictures of the angles of everything after installing them? I had some issues on my old 2014 with just a 2.5" spacer kit and i want to make sure i avoid it going with these. Thanks in advance.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:34 PM, Jdub289f said:

Anybody got the 6112s now that they’re finally out?? I have the 5100s on my 2018 and I wonder if it would be worth it to make the switch. 

They're out. People happy with them. Maybe worth it if you like to spend time in dirt.

Edited by Slash L86

Installed everything myself. These fronts were a b***h. Removed UCA, steering, sway bar, just to fit. Ball Joint was a pain to separate from the knuckle. But it's beautiful.
Discount Tire price match walmart for a good deal on 295 55 20 
Rubs on full lock

5100s all around 
Tuck.thumb.jpg.fbb8ba13261a85661d7ffe8f9946f265.jpg

Nice set up! Which height on the front did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1