Bilstein shocks thread

Yea I think that makes sense. All the force goes through the shock/lower control arm instead of through the balljoint/upper control arm. Still not a good idea to hammer on the shocks that hard. It would probably wear out the seals and stuff early. Not that you ever do that much on the road. 

I went with the Eibach leveling kit so I am at around 2.5in level so I definitely wanted to get some upgraded UCAs to help the angles. I don't think 1.8 inches is gonna hurt anything but I just don't like that the upper balljoint is held in by a piece of sheet metal on my truck. If I had the cast steel or aluminum I probably wouldn't have switched or waited until my baljoint was worn out to switch

On 2/16/2020 at 8:59 AM, Jdub289f said:

That’s good the hear! With my 5100s it felt more controlled but the stock coil doesn’t seem to be good at all. Almost like it’s maki  nag the shock do too much work. I’ll have to get the 6112 kit when my funds allow it. Should be an easy swap without having to align it since I already have the 5100 adjustables on there in the max height. 

actually that's what you want if you have a good shock.....spring just supports the vehicle and shock is responsible for dampening, spring shouldn't get in the way of shock doing its job....if you have more dampening maybe can get away with lighter spring.....but yeah you want the shock doing most of the work....

Ok needing some help deciding. I have a 2014 Sierra crew cab 5.3L z71. Right now I have a 2" level in front that mounts under the strut (1" in thickness for 2" lift). Nothing in the rear. I have 275/70/18 on stock rims. No rub noticed on pavement or off road.

I have 1-1.25" of rake and I like the way the truck sits. But I want to change the shocks to either the bilstein 5100 or eibach pro truck sport. I'm keeping the stock springs and losing the spacer.

I know what the literature states for what sort of height increase to expect. But I'd like some real world #s. I've read this thread and some seem to be getting more lift than the reported #s. Please let me know your rake with this setup. Thanks!!

the eibach kit with eibach spring sits higher than same kit with stock spring....i believe its about 1" difference more lift....so when your reading stuff note whether its stock spring or eibach….both work on same kit.

Edited by Dunn

6 hours ago, Dunn said:

the eibach kit with eibach spring sits higher than same kit with stock spring....i believe its about 1" difference more lift....so when your reading stuff note whether its stock spring or eibach….both work on same kit.

Yeah for sure, I'm talking about with stock springs. Just changing the shocks.

Well after as much reading as i could do on this Thread I've got everything set up to go on this month on the 26th.

Items are:

-6112 kit for front

-5160's rear

-Kryptonite UCA's (KRUCA13)

-Fuel Blitz 18x9 +1 offset

-275/70r18 Kenda RT

-1" Shackle for rear

-Zone trim plates

2018 Silverado w/ 13k miles 

• Like 1

Well after as much reading as i could do on this Thread I've got everything set up to go on this month on the 26th.

Items are:
-6112 kit for front
-5160's rear
-Kryptonite UCA's (KRUCA13)
-Fuel Blitz 18x9 +1 offset
-275/70r18 Kenda RT
-1" Shackle for rear
-Zone trim plates

2018 Silverado w/ 13k miles 

You likely won’t need the trim plates. I would hold off on installing them until you get the tires put on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, jgraves13 said:

You likely won’t need the trim plates. I would hold off on installing them until you get the tires put on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was planning on that originally but these tires run large for a 275/70r18 at 33.45x11.23. Plus i do plan on taking it offroad so just would rather remove any risk of rubbing at the same time as getting the rest done. 

• 2 weeks later...