Bilstein shocks thread

its just different type of valving but in a nutshell yeah you think so.....theory is ride is smoother over rougher terrain and lil firm on small stuff

check it out though there are tons of topics and info, most do say billys and icons are bit firm as daily driver, but some love em so just depends on what you want to feel

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

think eibachs are progressive valved and bilsteins are digressive....different way of valving

digressive starts out firm then gets softer where progressive starts out softer and ramps up at end, just different approaches and everyone feels things differently, so just depends on what type you are

sucks cuz eibach had sale lil ways back and was $389 for all 4 corners, am sure it will come back at some point

Hello, this prices is with spring?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

i didnt even know these were a thing lol, however they are out of my price range as im just wanting to do a small level to my truck while i save up for a decent lift kit. so initially i was set on the bilstein 5100s all around. well then i came across the eibach pro truck lift kit and it peeked my interest due to the beefy springs. so now im torn wether i should got with the eibach kit or the bilsteins. so i figured id ask if there was a spring people were using with these 5100s apart from the oem one. something that could sill save me a few bucks. since the 5100s all around come out to 334 and the pro truck kit is 586.

Hello, U$ 334 kit Bilstein?

6 hours ago, gastonhector said:

Hello, this prices is with spring?

some dude bought a set on here when sale happened.....I believe eibach has springs ready now for 2019 T1 but at that time no they didn't....I don't know if they were selling other kits with springs for same price.....but sale is over now, another will come at some point....

eibach make springs for a ton of of other companies shocks and coilovers…..chances are pretty high if you buy a quality kit from anyone it will have eibach springs.....

Edited by Dunn

I now have about 6k miles on my 6112s/5160 combo and can’t be happier with the combo. I’m even now running my E load range KO2s at 65 psi and the ride is still better than I remember the stock setup in every situation. I like my truck a lot more with the upgraded suspension.

1 hour ago, Red_5 said:

I now have about 6k miles on my 6112s/5160 combo and can’t be happier with the combo. I’m even now running my E load range KO2s at 65 psi and the ride is still better than I remember the stock setup in every situation. I like my truck a lot more with the upgraded suspension.

In what way do you find the front end better? Softer? More progressive? Less of a top-out feeling going over bigger stuff I hope?

I only have the 5100s on mine since the 6112 kit wasn’t available when I leveled mine. Just debating whether it’ll be worth it or not do throw the 6112s on there now. 

34 minutes ago, Jdub289f said:

In what way do you find the front end better? Softer? More progressive? Less of a top-out feeling going over bigger stuff I hope?

I only have the 5100s on mine since the 6112 kit wasn’t available when I leveled mine. Just debating whether it’ll be worth it or not do throw the 6112s on there now. 

Every situation feels more controlled. I felt like the stock suspension only handled very small bumps well. Anything more and things banged and crashed or got out of control quickly. I had mentioned before here that after replacing my suspension I noticed I was driving around town faster than before just because it felt better. I had to consciously dial it back. Even at freeway speeds the Bilstein suspension doesn’t seem to bottom out like I remember the old stuff would and I’m talking more like g-outs from quick elevation changes. 

I do think the 6112s and probably most shocks need to break in some which is why when you first get them installed it might not seem as awesome as you hoped. That I didn’t feel the need to lower my tire pressures after the last time I towed says a lot and I have put about 2k miles on the truck at 65psi.

18 minutes ago, Red_5 said:

Every situation feels more controlled. I felt like the stock suspension only handled very small bumps well. Anything more and things banged and crashed or got out of control quickly. I had mentioned before here that after replacing my suspension I noticed I was driving around town faster than before just because it felt better. I had to consciously dial it back. Even at freeway speeds the Bilstein suspension doesn’t seem to bottom out like I remember the old stuff would and I’m talking more like g-outs from quick elevation changes. 

I do think the 6112s and probably most shocks need to break in some which is why when you first get them installed it might not seem as awesome as you hoped. That I didn’t feel the need to lower my tire pressures after the last time I towed says a lot and I have put about 2k miles on the truck at 65psi.

That’s good the hear! With my 5100s it felt more controlled but the stock coil doesn’t seem to be good at all. Almost like it’s maki  nag the shock do too much work. I’ll have to get the 6112 kit when my funds allow it. Should be an easy swap without having to align it since I already have the 5100 adjustables on there in the max height. 

where is the best place to order 6112's? im ordering 5100 for the rear and 6112 for the front to replace my RC level. im going to also switch UCR since i have the stamped steel and my 285/60 20 ridge grapplers rub them

cant decide between CST or Cognito UCRS

where is the best place to order 6112's? im ordering 5100 for the rear and 6112 for the front to replace my RC level. im going to also switch UCR since i have the stamped steel and my 285/60 20 ridge grapplers rub them

May also take a look at readylifts UCAs. Seem a bit cheaper but we’ll made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, bhales said:

I bought my 6112s from Battleborn. They are or at least were a forum sponsor and had a discount code for forum members. 

I just ordered a set of the 5100's .. they were only about $20 more than the 4600's and I like the look of them better than the yellow and blue.  I do not have a lift kit in it and don't plan on doing so.  My understanding is that by using the higher grooves on the strut body, it will lift the front slightly.   I may consider doing that cause it wouldn't bother me to raise the front slightly.  I don't think I want to go to the highest setting but was wondering if the 2nd or 3rd notch would be a noticeable change in height.  Also will using either of those notches produce a harsher ride.  Lastly does this put more wear or strain on other components.  Is it changing the suspension geometry at all or doesn't it affect that?  Seems like most recommendations are for the 3rd or 4th notch and not many for the 2nd....why is that?

Thanks in advance for any input 

-RC

On 2/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, bhales said:

I have Kryptonite UCAs and they are pretty nice. Similar balljoint to the Cognitos and the warranty is really good on them. I got em on ebay from rudys performance parts. 

I have Kryptonite UCAs and they are pretty nice. Similar balljoint to the Cognitos and the warranty is really good on them. I got em on ebay from rudys performance parts. 

When I spoke with a tech at Bilstein earlier this week, he said they tested their 5100s with stock components including UCAs and there were no issues. He mentioned that they probably stuck with 1.8” as the highest because much higher could create problems with stock components (some of their 5100s for certain trucks go up to 2.5-2.75”)

Trying to think through it logically, as long as the 5100 shock stops the downward travel I don’t think a ball joint could pop out of the stock UCA... but if the UCA contacting the bump stop is what’s stops the downward travel and the shock and weight of the tires/wheel is trying to push the wheel down further, I could see how the ball joint would be popped out (more like pulled out).

Does that sound like sound reasoning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk