Bilstein shocks thread

11 hours ago, Pivot said:

Those are OEM wheels that came with the truck? What year is your Truck? If that's a late model 1500, the 20" OEM rim measures 20x9 with a +27mm Offset. 

Truck is a 2018 Z71, came with 18" wheels.

I bought the factory black wheels off of a guy who had a 2017 Midnight edition (he put on bigger rims/tires)

I'd like to run a wider tire, but after reading everything 275 is all I'll do. 

Seems like it is hit or miss on a 275/60-20 rubbing with bilsteins maxed out. 

Maybe i'll play it safe and just keep the stock size of 275/55-20

8 hours ago, rah7777777 said:

Truck is a 2018 Z71, came with 18" wheels.

I bought the factory black wheels off of a guy who had a 2017 Midnight edition (he put on bigger rims/tires)

I'd like to run a wider tire, but after reading everything 275 is all I'll do. 

Seems like it is hit or miss on a 275/60-20 rubbing with bilsteins maxed out. 

Maybe i'll play it safe and just keep the stock size of 275/55-20

The width is the issue. If you really want the 12" width, you'd have to be willing or prepared to trim or look at a rim with a lower offset. . One thing you want to keep in mind when you get bigger tires is you really jump up in weight. My stock tire, plus yours is a "P" rated tire. Basically a softer tire made for light snow, highway, low noise and mpg in mind. Weighs about 40#. You move to 275/60/20 A/T,  say a Nitto Terra Grappler stays close to stock weight. BF AT KO's will jump up to mid 50# in that size and step up to over 60#'s in the 305. Thats a 50% increase and will have an impact on acceleration and braking.

If you want to go bigger, at least check what you can do before buying new tires. If you are buying from a local tire shop, why not find a shop that will do a test fit of 275/60/20?  Strike up a conversation , explain situation and tell the shop you'll buy 4 new tires but want to test fit first. If they're not interested, go to next shop. You'll find somebody willing to help. Trim could be minor, or non-existent. Take a look and if you aren't comfortable, go back to stock size and just get a more aggressive looking tread, if that's what you are looking for. I wish it was cut and dry, but it isn't. I'm not a fan of spacers, but many seem happy. I first looked at the Ready-Lift 2 1/2 inch kit that came with the aftermkt UCA's. Then I started looking at coilovers. I was real close between the Eibach Pro Lift kit and the Bilstein's 6112's. I want bigger tires and I think the Bilsteins can make it happen. Hesitant to trim, but willing to pull lower air dam below bumper, possibly upgrade UCA. GL

Have there been any reviews of the 6112s installed on a '14-'18 GM 1500 truck? As we go forward and we talk about our new shocks, can we all specify which Bilsteins we installed? Thanks.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:23 AM, PhunOne said:

Have had Bilstein's on many vehicle's for over 25 years and have never been disappointed.  Just put a set of 5160's on the rear of my 2018 Sierra 1500 with NHT and what a huge difference.   Eliminated most all of the pogoing/bouncy ride without any harshness.   Was very surprised that the rears alone made such a huge difference.  Will be installing 6112's on the front shortly  Yes, they are very big shocks, looks like front driveshaft clearance will be tighter.

Did you add any extra height to the rear of your truck? I have a '15 Sierra NHT and was planning to get the 5160s but wasn't sure if I would need extra height to accommodate the longer shock. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Red_5 said:

Did you add any extra height to the rear of your truck? I have a '15 Sierra NHT and was planning to get the 5160s but wasn't sure if I would need extra height to accommodate the longer shock. Thanks.

No, I didn't and you don't have to, but can, because the Bilstein 5160's (25-242515) specifications are 0-2" additional travel.  With the Bilstein 6112's on the 3rd ring setting and the 5160's on the rear, I still have almost 2" rear ride height difference from the front and a huge, night and day improvement in ride quality.  The 6112's have more damping and are much heavier duty up front than the 5100's, but the 5100's, front and rear are great shocks and the Bilsteins are far superior overall to anything else.

Note: You need a serious commercial spring compressor to assemble the 6112's or have a shop do them. 

Edited by PhunOne
corrected part number
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PhunOne said:

No, I didn't and you don't have to, but can, because the Bilstein 5160's (25-242515) specifications are 0-2" additional travel.  With the Bilstein 6112's on the 3rd ring setting and the 5160's on the rear, I still have almost 2" rear ride height difference from the front and a huge, night and day improvement in ride quality.  The 6112's have more damping and are much heavier duty up front than the 5100's, but the 5100's, front and rear are great shocks and the Bilsteins are far superior overall to anything else.

Note: You need a serious commercial spring compressor to assemble the 6112's or have a shop do them. 

Thanks for the info! Because it's been soooo many pages in this thread, how much lift did you get on the 3rd ring of the 6112? I think I'll try to pull the trigger soon. I got the go ahead from a magazine I work with to use the install as a story so that should speed up the process.

8 minutes ago, Red_5 said:

Thanks for the info! Because it's been soooo many pages in this thread, how much lift did you get on the 3rd ring of the 6112? I think I'll try to pull the trigger soon. I got the go ahead from a magazine I work with to use the install as a story so that should speed up the process.

The Bilstein documentation on the shock lift heights is pretty spot on.

#1 - 0"

#2 - 0.62"

#3 - 1.23"

#4 - 1.85"

I set mine to the 3rd ring right now to keep the rear a little higher than the front because of the loads I carry sometimes and I didn't want add spacers to the rear.  I may raise both a little later, which these shocks will handle, but happy where it is now.

Be sure to always have an alignment done after any changes. 

• Like 1

I installed 5100's over the weekend on the 3rd setting. I had a 1.5 top spacer prior to add clearance for 265/70/18's so I removed that, kept the 2 inch block as I need rake for towing and hauling. Stock Rancho's were fine, but after 60k, 1k off road and towing and hauling in between they were getting a little tired and I was getting some irregular tire wear; with half my tread remaining I wanted to nip that in the bud. When I took off the Rancho's they still had ok dampening and weren't shot, leaking or not springing back. With that said with how some people talk about these I was expecting these to be like King shocks for a tenth the price, or I was expecting these to be gods gift to shocks; that was not the case. I have ridden in a few trucks with these and was expecting a slightly rougher ride when set higher but better dampening in big bumps and that is exactly what I got. A nice up grade and inline with the price you pay. It wasn't a night and day difference like some try to sell (I swear a few members must work for Thyssenkrupp with how much they try and sell these to people), if you have more miles on the stock set up then it will be more noticeable. Overall a nice upgrade, we will be doing some back country off roading next month in New Mexico so these should be a nice addition. Will be airing down more to off set the rougher ride but it is a truck and I am good with it. Install wasn't horrible, I made sure to put them boot down in the rear.

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

I installed 5100's over the weekend on the 3rd setting. I had a 1.5 top spacer prior to add clearance for 265/70/18's so I removed that, kept the 2 inch block as I need rake for towing and hauling. Stock Rancho's were fine, but after 60k, 1k off road and towing and hauling in between they were getting a little tired and I was getting some irregular tire wear; with half my tread remaining I wanted to nip that in the bud. When I took off the Rancho's they still had ok dampening and weren't shot, leaking or not springing back. With that said with how some people talk about these I was expecting these to be like King shocks for a tenth the price, or I was expecting these to be gods gift to shocks; that was not the case. I have ridden in a few trucks with these and was expecting a slightly rougher ride when set higher but better dampening in big bumps and that is exactly what I got. A nice up grade and inline with the price you pay. It wasn't a night and day difference like some try to sell (I swear a few members must work for Thyssenkrupp with how much they try and sell these to people), if you have more miles on the stock set up then it will be more noticeable. Overall a nice upgrade, we will be doing some back country off roading next month in New Mexico so these should be a nice addition. Will be airing down more to off set the rougher ride but it is a truck and I am good with it. Install wasn't horrible, I made sure to put them boot down in the rear.

Tyler

I think that is legit.  My wife candidly did not notice a ton of difference but I drive my truck more and definitely felt more dampening and it just rides quieter on bumps and the feel I get in the steering wheel.  I have a AT with the Z71 so it's already a firm suspension but I think your take is more than a fair description.  I don't expect my truck to ride like a Denali cause it's not.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, Red_5 said:

Have there been any reviews of the 6112s installed on a '14-'18 GM 1500 truck? As we go forward and we talk about our new shocks, can we all specify which Bilsteins we installed? Thanks.

Go to Page 144 of this thread to see the 6112 review by Jullian is not my name

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

Agreed! Well said sir.

hey everyone, I have to say, the 5100s were not as great as I expected in the end. I had ~50k miles on mine, and they got a little rough recently. I would consider other options next time.

we live in a rough winter climate and im just wondering if anyone ever achieved a way to seal them and keep the shocks looking new-ish. Mine looked just as bad or worse than the ranchos in the end.

Edited by tanner709
  • Like 1

I think the adjustable 5100 is purchased more as a better option to level/lift than spacers.  It does a good job and price point of under $90 each seems fair. Better idea if stock is worn and you need new struts and level at once. 

I'm really hoping the 6112 with larger tube and softer springs will be even better. It's difficult to take things in context when so many replaced stock shocks after they were worn. Trucks start looseing up and a struts can only do so much as other parts wear. Also, many upgraded to more aggressive tires, harder compounds. 

In any event, I should have a pretty good comparison. I have an appointment to pull my stock shocks and coil springs next Tuesday. I only have 4000 miles on my truck. I have the Z60 suspension. I'm going to have them do the level. Hold off on the wheels until I take a look. I'll let it settle a day or two and then will measure and see if I can fit a 275/60/20 on a 20 x 9 rim with offset range of +10 - +20. 

So, I'll have a nice chance to compare the struts and coils on basically a new truck with oem rims and tires, before upgrading those. 

I originally intended to set the 6112 at the highest setting and increase the size of the rear  block to 2".  Maintaining a little rake. I talked to the installer and his rec'd was to go one ring down to 3 and keep the stock block. He said I'd get a better ride and the truck would look level , but would have about an inch of rake. 

So, I'll do a write up next week when this is done with pics. 

I actually like the Z60 suspension. I'm hoping to make it even firmer in turns, eliminate some of the brake dive and the bounce when I hit speed tables that are getting way to popular on my local roads. Most importantly, I wanted to level and put bigger tires without sacrificing ride. 

Now I only have deceide whether I want to go to the top setting (max) or one down. 

Not a ton of info out there on ride difference on 2014-18 Silverado with the Bilsteinn 6112's set at 3 or 4. 

Edited by Pivot

I changed out the stock ones that came with my truck after the first time I towed my 10k trailer they were not up to the challenge. Now mine is the max trailering max towing version so I got black ones which I am guessing are same as non z71 trucks. I could not at the time get a set of 5100's because I put on a 4" lift out of the gate and they were not available. So I bought a set of procomp's. I installed them and a huge improvement right away! Now with 60000 km on the truck I noticed one is leaking. So I felt that 52000 km was too short of a life for a performance set of shocks. So I am installing a set of 5100's this weekend because they make a set for the 4" lift now. I will report back how they run as towing season is here and I want to get away from all the smoke so I will be doing several trips south to the US and should get a good impression compared to the procomps.

20180602_151817.jpg

18 hours ago, Gearhead1000 said:

I changed out the stock ones that came with my truck after the first time I towed my 10k trailer they were not up to the challenge. Now mine is the max trailering max towing version so I got black ones which I am guessing are same as non z71 trucks. I could not at the time get a set of 5100's because I put on a 4" lift out of the gate and they were not available. So I bought a set of procomp's. I installed them and a huge improvement right away! Now with 60000 km on the truck I noticed one is leaking. So I felt that 52000 km was too short of a life for a performance set of shocks. So I am installing a set of 5100's this weekend because they make a set for the 4" lift now. I will report back how they run as towing season is here and I want to get away from all the smoke so I will be doing several trips south to the US and should get a good impression compared to the procomps.

20180602_151817.jpg

Phil, which Pro-Comps do you have?

I know the Pro Runner SS are a similar type of monotube design and have the same exterior look as both Eibach Pro and 5100.