Power Steering vacuum bleeding

I'm about to do a power steering pump replacement. The AC-Delco part comes with instructions on how to vacuum bleed the system with special tool "J 43485", which is hard to find.

There is a reference-able thread on the corvette forums on how to make a tool with a tub stopper here...

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2535860-clutch-bleeding-from-the-mc-or-the-j-43485-mityvac-adapter.html

I made a similar hack with a toilet flapper...

What are you doing for power steering bleeding? Here is a decent video on bleeding from ACDelco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVB_wprA3YM

I usually fill the reservoir start it let it run for a few seconds then shut it off. Recheck level then start it and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times till there's no more bubbles in the fluid. Been doing it this way for over ten years and never have issues or premature pump failure. The only time I ever vacuum bleed a p/s system is on a Chrysler.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

The ACDelco video mentions the vacuum process gets trapped air out of the system (likely trapped in the pump and hydroboost). The trapped air causes noise. My original PS pump whirred and wined since new. The replacement with the vacuum bleed done to it is dead quite.

The ACDelco video mentions the vacuum process gets trapped air out of the system (likely trapped in the pump and hydroboost). The trapped air causes noise. My original PS pump whirred and wined since new. The replacement with the vacuum bleed done to it is dead quite.

New dodges do vacuum bleed and new GM , not 04

Wheels off the ground engine off , turn lock to lock a few million times then recheck , fire it up , turn lock to lock a few times. , check for foaming , let settle , check level , done

New dodges do vacuum bleed and new GM , not 04

Correct, out of the factory the pump was not vacuum bled for '04. The replacement pump for my '04, ACDelco 88963604, comes with instructions to vacuum bleed it. I believe it's a new recommendation.

PowerSteeringBleed

Archived