Installed ADD W1 Oil Catch Can

Thanks Southern. That can is actually a dual can prototype that I am finishing my trial run with pretty much this week (put about 1200 miles on it). I had Mr. Michi toss together the brackets based off some designs I gave him, all in all - it is a very clean and high quality product. I will be putting an official review w/purchasing information up within a week or so hopefully (weather permitting).

The PCV inlet/outlets on the truck are 3/8" and I can you tell for a fact that using connectors to increase/decrease from that diameter to or from the can will cause noise at those connections. We had originally tried to run a 90* elbow where the line turns from the can up the valley to give it a clean look and that was LOUD. I would also assume that increasing from 3/8" to 1/2" will make the sound more loud since you are increasing air flow. In regards to the location, I like the ease of access but the main reason was to help with condensation. They did tests were the further the can from the heat, the cooler the air, the more condensation.

If you were concerned about heat, I wonder if it would be worth looking into some heat shielding product for the hoses and can. I found this product on Amazon for hoses: http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Products-204002-Shield-Sleeve/dp/B004GNLGTQMaybe exhaust wrap for the can?

If you were concerned about heat, I wonder if it would be worth looking into some heat shielding product for the hoses and can. I found this product on Amazon for hoses: http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Products-204002-Shield-Sleeve/dp/B004GNLGTQMaybe exhaust wrap for the can?

Man I totally forgot about that stuff, I know some other places I can definitely us it!

In regards to heat and the CC, I personally am fine with just leaving it in the spare battery location. If I had a car with CC, then I may possibly look into material to reduce heat. Only thing I've added to the system because of possible heat issues was I wrapped all the hoses in split plastic conduit to stop them from touching each other and other hoses.

I ended up replacing the standard PCV/fuel vapor hose with 3/8" transmission hose rated for 225psi. Keeps its shape and has reduced the vacuum sound to only a slight wisp coming from the can itself.

Oh yeah. I collected about 1/8 cup in 150 miles. It's doing its job for sure.
0b5661c1f301c826a33fa9a2b679fdc5.jpg

Edited by Holy Smokes

I ended up replacing the standard PCV/fuel vapor hose with 3/8" transmission hose rated for 275psi. Keeps its shape and has reduced the vacuum sound to only a slight wisp coming from the can itself.

Oh yeah. I collected about 1/8 cup in 150 miles. It's doing its job for sure.0b5661c1f301c826a33fa9a2b679fdc5.jpg

I like the way you mounted it.

Did you fab that bracket?

Do you have any pics of the completed install with hoses etc.?

I like the way you mounted it.

Did you fab that bracket?

Do you have any pics of the completed install with hoses etc.?

I had some spare alum 1"X1/4" alum strap around. Bent it to a 90 then drilled a few holes. Makes for longer hoses, but easy access. I'll snap some pics. Edited by Holy Smokes

I bought 7' and had just a bit left over. The tranny hose is like $4.60/ft. Ouch!!?

Also, to stuff the "filter" area I found some SS screening used for a lint trap off a washer drain hose. Plumbing section at Walmart. Cut a section off, folded then stuffed it in. I have plenty left over. So if anyone needs some PM me an address and I can send it out. Prob have enough for three more.

Edited by Holy Smokes

Make me a bracket like that! I'll pay you.

Make me a bracket like that! I'll pay you.

Ha! It's too easy to have you pay me for it. Unfortunately, I don't have any more strapping anyways. Hit your local Home Depot or Lowe's for some 1"x1/4" aluminum strap. I mounted about an 8" piece in a bench vice then used a 2lb hammer to bend it over. In the engine compartment, the fender brace rod has internal threads on it plus the 10mm bolt has enough length that you can sandwich your bracket between the body and the rod brace; just don't overtighten. Keep the can mounted low enough on the bracket so it clears the hood when closed.

Good Luck!

Edited by Holy Smokes
  • Like 1