Installed ADD W1 Oil Catch Can

Well this issue is not specific to our trucks. If you look around at any other car/truck forum everyone is having the same issues. Over on the F150 forums, this is an issue on both the 5.0 and the 3.5 Ecoboost. Dodge, same thing. More than likely manufacturers test the system and decide that the oil entering the engine is at an acceptable rate. At the same time on older non direct injection engines this was less of an issue since fuel would regularly coat and clean the valves.

Yeap I know its a problem with the other makers as well.

Wonder if these light weight oils(0-w20) make the problem worse. I don't like using them. I have always liked 10w-30 or 15w-40 but with the tight tolerances of todays engines I guess thats what we have to do.

Edited by southern_sierra

I blame it on Obama's EPA... they set the bar too high too fast and forced these engines to come out way ahead of schedule...

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2011/1109_obamas_epa_seeks_56_mpg_by_2025/

You are reaching mighty far there.

It would be far less of a reach to say that GM put all its cards in the redesigned direct injection engines to increase power and milage in order to keep up with the competition. Dodge decided that a transmission with 8 speeds and a redesigned 5.7 Hemi would meet their needs. And Ford went a different route with their 3.5 Ecoboost with direct injection. So is the EPA pushing the manufacturers to achieve higher mpg numbers? Yes, but there is far more pressure from the competition to increase power and mpg numbers as well.

You are reaching mighty far there.

It would be far less of a reach to say that GM put all its cards in the redesigned direct injection engines to increase power and milage in order to keep up with the competition. Dodge decided that a transmission with 8 speeds and a redesigned 5.7 Hemi would meet their needs. And Ford went a different route with their 3.5 Ecoboost with direct injection. So is the EPA pushing the manufacturers to achieve higher mpg numbers? Yes, but there is far more pressure from the competition to increase power and mpg numbers as well.

I agree but you just contradicted yourself by saying 'Yes, but there is far more pressure from the competition to increase power and mpg numbers as well.' All the MPG pressure isn't being driven by the market/competition, its being driven by the EPA. These companies didn't wake up one day and decide to spend billions of R&D on getting higher MPG, trust me - they'd much rather use/pocket that money elsewhere.

...​and for the record, my comment above wasn't supposed to be a political bash. If the United Nations passed the EPA I would have blamed it on them haha.

Edited by bladz1454

med_gallery_42817_3078_419975.jpg

With the mesh it caught way more!!!! Below is a side by side the next day and basically the same miles.....crap.....I may be emptying every 1k miles....

med_gallery_42817_3078_259670.png

Did you just cut the pad to fit or does the rest of it get pushed up into the lid. My can is on the way so not sure how its made. I guess if you have to cut it just have to make sure you get any loose pieces out.

med_gallery_42817_3078_419975.jpg

With the mesh it caught way more!!!! Below is a side by side the next day and basically the same miles.....crap.....I may be emptying every 1k miles....

med_gallery_42817_3078_259670.png

Yep this looks more like what my RX can has been catching. Thanks for the pictures. This can seems like a good alternative to the higher priced ones. Amazing how much of a difference the filter media can make but it makes sense in theory....The more surface area the gases touch the more oil/water is likely to condense and fall to the bottom. That is my one complaint about the RX can how it can't be opened up and inspected. They claim you don't need to but who knows. All of the competition provides the ability to open it up so I dunno......

Just a quick and dumb question. The inlet hose is connected to the plastic nipple by the throttle body, correct? The outlet hose connects to the side in intake manifold, correct?

Edited by haider320

Just a quick and dumb question. The inlet hose is connected to the plastic nipple by the throttle body, correct? The outlet hose connects to the side in intake manifold, correct?

Check out these pics: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154204-oil-catch-can/?p=1528978

Thanks for the pic, but I don't have an RX can. Is the center port on the RX the intake port?

Yes.

The PCV port is under the throttle body on the 5.3 V8. This is the source of the crankcase vapors that go to the catch can. The other hose will go back to the intake manifold.