Brake Line Replacement

Yes sir. Pre flared, with fittings. The only one that the kit does not come with and has to be made if you need to replace it is the 3/16 tube line that is mounted across the rear axle. It has all the other hard lines in the kit, so both lines master cylinder to abs, abs to left front, abs to right front, and abs to rear.

I, too, have just ordered the same kit from Amazon for my '04 Silverado. Hope to install it when warmer weather gets here. It was -10 here this morning and my garage is unheated. From what I've read on other related threads, it's wise to soak the s**t out of all connections and bleeder screws with PB Blaster which I plan to do the next "nice" day we have.

My lines are also looking in bad shape but no problems thus far. I do a lot of towing (camper and boat) with this truck in the summer months so I just want to take some preventative measures ahead of time.

We have installed and sold over the counter many of those kits. Very nice kits, takes a bit of patience to put them in but worth it IMO.

Newdude, a question about the install....

I saw on another thread that it's almost a necessity to raise the truck bed off the frame to get access to thread the new line to the rear. Any truth to this? I don't have a hoist and so would be doing this either on the floor or with jackstands.

Thanks,

Rich

Newdude, a question about the install....

I saw on another thread that it's almost a necessity to raise the truck bed off the frame to get access to thread the new line to the rear. Any truth to this? I don't have a hoist and so would be doing this either on the floor or with jackstands.

Thanks,

Rich

It would make it easier on a 1/2 ton...it can be done with the bed on but takes patience and a good bit of it. The HD trucks have more space to run the rear line so its a bit easier on those.

That's a good opportunity to undercoat my truck bed, I have a bit of rust forming in the space between the bed and the outer fender which is causing some paint to bubble. I rather just stop it, I dont mind a little bit of paint damage, it's a 10 year old truck that's been rear ended twice (and repaired).

As an FYI, I have found the original GM frame paint on GM Parts Direct, the part number is 12346501

• 3 weeks later...

A local shop quoted me 600 for labor to just do a swap with the AC Delco kit, sounds about right, and cheaper than the local GM dealer. Living in the northeast the last 3 years took a huge toll on the undercarriage despite constant washing. All the hard fuel lines are in rough shape as well, so I'm probably going to go the stainless route for those (if possible), since they have to drop the gas tank to save on time for replacing the brake lines. I also just found out my drivers side front axle seal is leaking really bad, as well as the rear transfercase seal.

The link I posted above, they do fuel and brake lines. I did both on my 2004. I feel your pain.

A local shop quoted me 600 for labor to just do a swap with the AC Delco kit, sounds about right, and cheaper than the local GM dealer. Living in the northeast the last 3 years took a huge toll on the undercarriage despite constant washing. All the hard fuel lines are in rough shape as well, so I'm probably going to go the stainless route for those (if possible), since they have to drop the gas tank to save on time for replacing the brake lines. I also just found out my drivers side front axle seal is leaking really bad, as well as the rear transfercase seal.

Watch the ROck auto stuff, may be the same (or cheaper than the GM stuff. On my 04 we did not have to drop the tank, only had to remove the EVAP canister.

What year is yours?

Rock Auto has the fuel lines for around 180. So I assume 200 shipped. Do you have to drop the tank for the fuel lines? or are there flex lines running from the tank to the hard fuel lines?

It's an 04, but it was built in 03, so it has the 04 to 07 body style but some components are from the mid cycle refresh. It's very odd.

That's interesting about the gas tank, I will probably crawl under there within a week or so and take a closer look. I have been too busy lately.

As for the Rock Auto, the fuel lines I looked at, they're AC Delco parts, so I'm not worried about quality. I have gotten poor quality parts from Rock Auto before, but I usually try to stick to OEM equivalents. I'm not too worried about replacing it with stock GM parts, they did last 11 years so far and I'm planning on doing a Rustoleum undercoating within the next year (I've been saying that for the last 2 years) so it should help extend the life of the lines.

\DRIVE CLEAN came out with a "how to" for undercoating using rustoleum's rust inhibitor/primer and undercoating so it's worth a 20 minute watch. I've used Rustoleum's products to respray my tube steps and I am incredibly impressed with the outcome especially after 4 years of the truck spending 100% of it's time outside in the northeast during the winter and mid atlantic during the summers.

Archived