My new to me TT,towing help!

i weights 6800 dry and the pulls no problem 5.3 3.42

my question is as by the pic u can see that the trailer does not sit level,just a little off

should i lower the ball or tighten the sway bars?

no expert in this field

thanks in advance

mike

post-126451-0-22261700-1434074395.jpg

post-126451-0-24276100-1434114195.png

The way I set up my hitch was, I parked the trailer on a level surface and had the trailer level then measured the tongue height, then parked the Yukon on level surface and set the ball at the tongue height. I set the torsion bars tight enough that ball/tongue are at the unloaded level and it tows perfect

A little off topic; what kind of fuel mileage you get towing that camper? I ask because my 22' pontoon is weighing in at 4500 loaded (With the trailer) and my mileage is sucking.

Granted I have a 3/4 ton, but I get 9mpg's pulling a trailer. When you hook up a trailer....mpg's are a long lost memory.

That's about what I average. It might be that I was used to smaller boat (2000#) This one feels like I'm dragging an achor.

Mike

It is tough to tell, but I am guessing you are a touch nose-high?

I would see how it handles before adjusting weight distribution tension. We had our previous TT a little light on the tension, and she bounced for miles. One loop up made all the difference.

If that is loaded and she handles well (minimal or no "porpoising", not heavy in the front), then lower the ball a notch.

The way I set up my hitch was, I parked the trailer on a level surface and had the trailer level then measured the tongue height, then parked the Yukon on level surface and set the ball at the tongue height. I set the torsion bars tight enough that ball/tongue are at the unloaded level and it tows perfect

That's too tight. You're transfering too much weight. The rear hitch should always end up lower than the unloaded height (unless you level with airbags) and the front fenders should be the same (100% Front Axle Load Restoration) or higher (less than 100%, GM says to aim for 50%) than their unloaded height. Going beyond those numbers might feel fine driving down the road, but it will be less safe in the cast of an emergency maneuver.

As mentioned, it clearly says in your owners manual to set up for 50% (if the front end rises 2" when you hook up the trailer, set the WD hitch such that it lowers the front back down 1"). Going beyond that might actually feel better driving down the road, but it's less safe. If you tow a lot, I highely recommend getting a set of airbags so you don't feel the need to over-compensate with the hitch.

That's too tight. You're transfering too much weight. The rear hitch should always end up lower than the unloaded height (unless you level with airbags) and the front fenders should be the same (100% Front Axle Load Restoration) or higher (less than 100%, GM says to aim for 50%) than their unloaded height. Going beyond those numbers might feel fine driving down the road, but it will be less safe in the cast of an emergency maneuver.

As mentioned, it clearly says in your owners manual to set up for 50% (if the front end rises 2" when you hook up the trailer, set the WD hitch such that it lowers the front back down 1"). Going beyond that might actually feel better driving down the road, but it's less safe. If you tow a lot, I highely recommend getting a set of airbags so you don't feel the need to over-compensate with the hitch.

I posted what I do, I tow A LOT and have been for over 20 years. This is how I've always done it and I've been in about every situation on the road imaginable and never a problem with how my hitch is setup. This includes my travel trailer to my race car trailer and everything in between. I haven't ever actually measured fender heights. I'd assume that when I put my TT on my Yukon the front probably raises close to 1 inch. On level surface and hooked up my trailer is riding level with minimal sag on the truck

How much weight do you normally carry in the trailer?

A little off topic; what kind of fuel mileage you get towing that camper? I ask because my 22' pontoon is weighing in at 4500 loaded (With the trailer) and my mileage is sucking.

I have a 20' pontoon that comes in about the same MPG . . . . I run E-10 gas when i tow it for 9mpg. I wouldn't dare tow it with E85, id prob get 2mpgs. it's not that the load is a lot on the truck. you're basically towing a parachute! pontoon is about the least aerodynamic thing to tow

I posted what I do, I tow A LOT and have been for over 20 years.

And I posted how you're supposed to do it if you want the safest setup possible. Yes, "minimal sag on the truck" is how people were told to set things up 20 years ago. Much testing has taken place since then which proves that's not the safest setup even if it does feel good driving down the road.

OP,

Since your thread is taking a turn downhill with arguments, maybe a close by RV dealer can help you.

If you call, I am sure they would be glad to assist you and get everything set up properly for your truck. Tow it to the camper/RV dealer, go in and buy a few items that you are going to need.

They are usually really good about helping with the set up even if you didn't purchase from them. They will also be glad to pick up another customer.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Archived