Considering a ProCharger Supercharger

So I am looking to get some more power out of my 5.3. And I am considering a ProCharger Supercharger. My research has shown these are pretty stout kits that give great power gains (+45% hp/tq), while maintaining (sometimes improving) fuel mileage. Which sounds pretty cool to me.

Now, I have no experience with boosting a vehicle. And there aren't many posts in depth about them on here. Specifically ProChargers.

I found a local shop and spoke with the owner and he said he has installed countless ProCharger kits on cars and trucks alike, and his customers are always satisfied. He's quoting me $5,141 for the kit (with the helical gears for lower noise) and then $800 for install. This also includes custom dyno tuning.

For an extra $49 I can get a 3 year warranty on the kit. And he also said that ProCharger offers powertrain warranties as well, but I would need to check with them on pricing.

Anyone have experience or comments? Does that sound like a reasonable price with install?

Thanks ahead of time.

• Like 1

Edelbrock looks pretty good too, and Tom Henry installs them on new Camaros he sells.

Yea I looked at them. I kind of settled on the ProCharger though. sealed unit. Good warranty. Best power increase. Less invasive install.

What your goals? Just raw power or do you plan on using truck as a truck?

Sent from Off Driller Side

Mostly just power upgrades. I don't really haul or tow on a regular basis. But I do work in construction and might tow or haul stuff once in a while

I was considering getting a project car. But thought I would rather just have a fast truck instead.

I also considered swapping for a 6.2. But in the end. I like my current truck. Just wish it had more power. So adding a pro charger would allow me to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fondupot

Pro chargers (centrifugals) shine at the track, very linear power peaking in upper RPM range.

Positive displacement types (whipple, edelbrock etc.) will give you more of a bigblock feel, real torquey peaking boost about halfway through RPM range.

Centrifugals typically have a better HP/boost ratio.

Pros cons for each, if truck is light duty then you may like the Pro Charger just fine.

Edited by TDT

Pro chargers (centrifugals) shine at the track, very linear power peaking in upper RPM range.

Positive displacement types (whipple, edelbrock etc.) will give you more of a bigblock feel, real torquey peaking boost about halfway through RPM range.

Centrifugals typically have a better HP/boost ratio.

Pros cons for each, if truck is light duty then you may like the Pro Charger just fine.

The shop owner said he likes the ProChargers because they give better mid to high end power. Which is honestly where I think the 5.3 lacks. He's done a countless number of them, and even has one on his personal Vette. I've never gone to the track, but I guess there's a starter for everyone!

Oh, back to original question, price seems about right for install tune and all. I'm assuming it's a P1SC?

Yea, the standard P1SC, with the helical gear set, so it's quieter, and more sleeper-like.

I wonder how the intake would run, I don't remember much room with a prochargers intake pointing rearward.

Edit- never mind, found this. This truck must be making some boost for 760hp. Also has cam, headers and meth.

Check This One Out

Kind of makes you wonder what a D-1SC cost now, don't it? Lol

Edited by TDT

I love Prochargers... I had a F1-R cog belt on my 77 Camaro 6" rod 388" with AFR 330's a Richmond 6 speed Stick and it was an absolute BEAST in a full weight Pro-Touring car. It had BRUTAL mid and upper range and I could blow the 315 tires off in 4th with a throttle stab at 70mph on a concrete interstate (with A/C on!) LOL... I think you will love the mid range that they put out but tune will be key especially timing if running upper end boost 10+lbs. Again I love a Procharger!

RT

• Like 1

Yea, I am really leaning hard toward ProCharger. All the other supercharger kits out there are more expensive, and create less power.

What kind of tuning software does ProCharger use? I guess it doesn't matter much, the installer is going to Dyno tune it anyways. So it should be dialed in nicely.

Because right now I use Blackbear tuning. Idk, if I would be able to continue using them.

Edited by fondupot

Been thinking about the same charger, myself. Are these stock 6L90E transmissions ok with 500+ HP in these heavy trucks? That's the one thing holding back.......Best of luck with it, though. They look and sound awesome and see to make great power!

Been thinking about the same charger, myself. Are these stock 6L90E transmissions ok with 500+ HP in these heavy trucks? That's the one thing holding back.......Best of luck with it, though. They look and sound awesome and see to make great power!

That was one of my concerns. This site says the max power for trucks is 452 hp and max torque is 531 ft/lb. click over to the specifications tab.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/myd/

So the ProCharger would probably put my truck around 515 hp. (355 hp stock, with a 45% increase with the ProCharger, thats an additional ~160hp over stock, and 63 more hp than what the gmauthority website says)

Although the shop owner assured me no transmission upgrades were necessary.